Buying fractional gold in bulk?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by FryDaddyJr, May 9, 2020.

1. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

Might be a dumb question but can you save any money buying 1/10 oz gold in bulk or in rolls? usually I get an oz or a something smaller one at a time.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Check the following site selling 10 1/10 oz coins for $2,218.20 while a 1 oz coin is $1,867.20 ($351 cheaper than buying 10-1/10 oz coins) https://www.moneymetals.com/buy/gold/coins
    All the PM dealers are generally in the same range.

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Save money FD? Quite the contrary. The premiums are higher on smaller gold because there is more demand for it.

Irrespective of numismatic value, I don't think I know many people who wouldn't prefer the same net weight in lots of smaller gold coins than in far fewer large ones.

5. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

why are the premiums so high on smaller gold coins?

6. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

7. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

The man at the cemetery said get a lot while you can.

juris klavins and FryDaddyJr like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Being poor one can not afford to buy a n ounce so they buy the 1/10th. It cost just more.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  9. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Kentucky likes this.
  10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Think of it this way. The mint buys gold for $1700 an ounce say, so the raw material is the same for 10 10th ounces versus an ounce. However, it costs $5 per coin to prepare the blank, $10 per coin for the die, and $10 per coin to strike, (hypothetical numbers). So the mint has $1725 in an ounce coin, but $1950 in 10 10th ouncers. The only reason they do this is because people will pay a higher premium for smaller coins. So both demand and mint costs, (hence new issue replacements), are higher.

It has always been true that one ounce coins will be cheaper per ounce than smaller pieces. Even old US gold, which back then had the premium built into seignorage, are today per ounce the same, smaller coins higher per ounce.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    FryDaddyJr likes this.
  11. kcg777

kcg777 New Member

Yes, you can get a lower price per 1/10 oz coin if you buy say 10, 100, or 1000 coins rather than one at a time. But, the price per oz will never be as low as buying a 0.25, 0.5, or 1 oz coin because of medoraman said. Smaller fractional coins are popular because they can be used for smaller purchases when time get tough, For example, you want to buy a tank of gas, use a 1/10 oz coin rather than a one oz coin. This is why gram bars are popular too.

12. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

I’m pretty sure the premium for small gold is higher when both buying and selling.

Two Dogs, -jeffB and FryDaddyJr like this.
  13. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

can you buy a monster box of 1/10's?

14. medoraman

Depends. My local dealer whom I take a lot of misc off his hands, has sold me plenty of 10th and 20th of an ounce at melt. Heck, I have 1 gram bars of gold, silver, platinum and palladium I all bought at spot from him as well.

Ultimately, when it comes to liquidation, melt is the most you may get. There is a high risk of paying premiums for less than ounce items. Best bet IMHO is to save up until you can buy a full ounce.

midas1 likes this.
  15. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

That's what I've always done before. well I do have some of the half ounce spouses in unc, low mintage

medoraman likes this.
  16. medoraman

I do like those for some reason. I have been tempted more than a few times on those. In the future when premiums drop again I would like to pick some up, especially the non-spouse issues. Collection idea number 157 I suppose. :)

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

That was my post and I bought 10 of them for $1,100 and sold 9 of them for $130 to a dealer...kept one for free! Just responded to another of their ads for a one-ounce for $1,700...the price went up! :)

midas1 likes this.
  18. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Try to cultivate a good working relationship with a Brick & Mortar coin shop. Tell them that should they happen to buy in a deal of fractional gold coins you might be interested in it. Give them some idea what sort of volume you are interested in.

THen, if they call, be prepared to give them an immediate Yes/No and if Yes fast payment.

Tater and FryDaddyJr like this.
  19. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I checked my numismatic spreadsheet I paid $1188 for ten. I bought 9/11/17 after you bought.

Kentucky likes this.
  20. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

the costs to manufacture are the same as on a larger one, so they charge a premium, or
    Seigniorage

21. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Draft saved Draft deleted