Buying ASE and AGE - Mint or dealer?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by jeff_75, Jul 17, 2007.

1. jeff_75

jeff_75 Member

I have looked around a little and can't seem to find an answer to this very basic question, but I'm sure it's been addressed before. If someone could please advise me, or just point me to the correct thread please. I'm very new to collecting/investing.

I'd like to start buying American Eagles, primarily as a bullion investment, but it's obvious that certain years seem to shoot up in value to collectors as well. So while I'm mainly interested in bullion value, I want to make sure I'm maximizing my value to collectors as well.

So my basic question is this: should I be buying these coins NGC certified from dealers, or should I be buying them from the Mint? Pros/cons of each?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

Years are not going to randomly shoot up in price. And if you buy certified for bullion coins you could never make what it cost to slab them. If I was you buy them raw by themselves or in whole rolls.

4. jeff_75

jeff_75 Member

Why is the 1995W so expensive?

Would it be more valuable to a collector in the mint packaging or in NGC packaging?

5. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

1995w is rare becuase of a low mintage.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

There are much better ways to invest in silver than SAEs -- old silver coins are available at a much lower premium, as are silver ETFs.

That said, if you are going to purchase SAEs, I strongly suggest you purchase them from wherever you can get them at the lowest premium and buy them raw -- probably from a dealer or wholesaler that sells to the public -- like apmex.

That said, in general, coins should not be viewed as an investment -- there are far better ways to invest your money that have lower margins and transaction costs.

Good luck...Mike

7. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

http://www.nwtmintbullion.com/silver_nwtmintbullion.php

If the goal is to buy bullion at the lowest possible cost, silver rounds might be what you want. If you want silver with some collector's value, some internet dealers will sell you a complete date set of silver eagles for an average price of something like $18 per coin [I haven't checked lately]. In that kind of set, you get the common and low mintage coins for a reasonable premium to bullion prices with a reasonable chance that the set will command a premium price for collectors in the future.

8. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

1995 w am eagle 10th anniversary set

i will not considered 1995 w am eagle 10th anniversary set jumped that high. remember the cost is $999.00/set.
    check the recent 2006 20th anniversary 3 pc silver set and single 2006w silver unc am eagle coin. they just recently and the price jumped so high. they are better than 1995 w. isn't it?.

3 pc silver set cost $100.00 now worth $600.00 to $700.00. up 500-600%
    single pc 2006 w am eagle unc silver dollar cost $19.95 now worth $150.00. up 650%
    5 pc 1995 w am eagle set cost $999.00 now worth $6,000.00-$6,500.00. up 500-550%, time 12 year hoard.

9. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

I think that the vast majority of modern gold eagles are actually only worthy of being considered as a bullion investment as the mintages are generally high on the series. Also all of the coins look alike unlike in other series such as the spouse coins or the commemoratives.

If I was going to buy gold right now as a future play the spouse series might be best as you get 24-karat gold and also get them at mint issue prices.

As a comparison the lowest mintage 1/2 ounce gold proof eagle is the 2001 with a mintage of 23,261. The spouse coins that just came out have a lower mintage at around 20,000 in proof [assuming the mint is accurate of the even split between proof and uncirculated].

However if I was to buy eagles I would buy them off of Ebay at close to melt value and get graded coins. I think you can get many of the series at melt if you want them already.

10. elaine 1970

2006 w am eagle gold

don't forget the 2006 w unc am eagle gold 1/2 oz. mintage at around 18,500 more or less. better than 2001 mintage.

11. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

Yes you make a good point, the uncirculated with the w from the mint in 1/4 and 1/2 ounce are the low mintage coins, those may also do well in the future. Even the sales for the 2007 are low so far.

And the 2001 proof coins are the smaller mintage too.

12. elaine 1970

advise to new collectors

just buy only and only direct from the u.s. mint. so start right now. 2007. forget the previous years. you got two type to buy. buy them all. proof, w mint mark uncirculated . for bullion unc. you have to buy it from the wholesale dealer at 500 pc. it will be cheaper.

13. Spider

Spider ~

06 W and set are a little down compared to that

14. jeff_75

jeff_75 Member

Ok, so disregard the bullion investment; say I am buying ASEs solely from a coin investment/collection standpoint. Better to have them directly from the mint with the mint's COA and packaging, or PCGS/NGC graded from a dealer? Proof or uncirculated?

15. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

It's a toss-up. I don't think either one is a clear winner. Right now there is a mania for any coin graded a 70, but in time this may pass. Buy what you like. I have some of both and the only advantage the graded coins have in my opinion is that they are easier to store.

16. Leadfoot

I would still say that they are a poor investment and you shouldn't consider them as such. To wit, ask Elaine how the 1987 or 2002 SAEs fared. After she's done I'll tell you about the power of compound interest and sound investment strategies.

So considering them as purely a collectable, my orignal advice stands, purchase them for as low a premium as you can, and raw. If you are collecting them, you should choose proof or uncirculated based upon your preference. Don't send them away to be graded unless you know they will grade very highly and you need to sell.

While there may be money to be made in short term flipping, over the long term, these will be poor investments, as SAEs will never be rare or conditionally rare and NCLT are at the pinnacle of their popularity/demand.

The best piece of advice I could give you is to buy what YOU like, and ignore the potential for future profit.

All IMHO...Mike

17. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Why not all three - proof from the mint(prior to 2006), proof and uncirculated graded by PCGS/NGC. I did all three - well the mint I purchased from day one. But starting back in about 2001 I started a PCGS complete set - both PR69 and MS69, just because I like the silver eagles. Now every year I buy 1 proof and uncirculate from the mint, then I just keep bidding on ebay until I get the PR69 and MS69 at a reasonable price. I usually wait a few weeks after they start selling on Ebay so I can see what kind of prices they are bringing. OH - I did PCGS just so I could do a registry set on PCGS to get some free gradings, which I have not used yet. And right now I am ignoring the 95W. I also do not consider my set an investment - just something fun and easy I can keep updated.

18. Leadfoot

With a mintage of 30k with virtually all of them still extant, the 1995w proof is hardly considered numismatically rare. Popular, yes. Difficult to find, yes. Rare, no. Respectfully submitted...Mike

19. Leadfoot

And with an attitude like that, you are assured many years of enjoyment. :thumb:

20. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

I think if you are looking at this as an investment then you want to buy the lowest mintage and the coins graded in the higherest grade. I would think you would want to own the reverse proof pcgs pr70, the new 2007 w ms70 and wait to see if you can buy a 2006 w ms70. It is better to own fewer coins that are key or semi key coins for the future.

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

As has been said - they would be a very poor investment.

Draft saved Draft deleted