Buy 2010 America the Beautiful 5 Ounce Silver 5 Piece Set at Close-to-Spot Price?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by WebNomad, Mar 26, 2011.

1. WebNomad

WebNomad Junior Member

Currently, Manfra, Tordella & Brookes, Inc. is selling 2010 America the Beautiful 5 Ounce Silver 5 Piece Set for a fixed price of $1025 on fleabay, with free shipping -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300541116131

The per ounce price is $41, and that is before your eBay bucks, credit card cashback, and eBay purchase cashback. The current silver spot price is $37-$38. So, your final net cost will be very close to the spot price.

Disclaimer: I don't have anything to do with this dealer, but think this can be a good opportunity for those who are interested in getting this semi-hyped silver coin set.

However, I am not sure if this is a sign that the silver price has reached its peak and so the dealers are dumping their inventory...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

They may be damaged. they say no return but then again, that doesn't mean anything to eBay. They don't have a long history on the eBay site so the confidence factor becomes low. Maybe there are no returns because the don't plan to stick around to issue any. Personally, I wouldn't chance it, but others will.

4. 2schnauzers2luv

2schnauzers2luv Junior Member

The ATB's were and are nothing but another fad. I think alot of people are going to be coming out on the short end of the stick. Maybe this is the first seller who is offering them at their true worth.....bullion. But who knows. I gotta agree with Saltysam.

5. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

I know some of the Mint authorized purchasers only sell wholesale. Quite possibly MTB is one of them. So since the mint had specific guidelines about their purchasers only selling to the public, this may be thier best option for complying. Although I don't plan on buying them, it is good to see the purchasers are starting to actually sell them to the general public and stop some of the insane pricing.

6. JJK78

JJK78 Member

I just got home after a late night and saw that these were on sale from MTB and Jack Hunt after reading the Mint News Blog. I went ahead and snatched up a set from both and would advise that anyone else who thinks silver is not done with its run yet to buy a set before they sell out.

Personally I don't see how you can go wrong considering that the current MELT value is $933. These AP's are selling these so they can buy the 2011 coins and are mandated by the mint to sell them at this low price. I guarantee you will not see these sets for under $1000 ever again.

Thats my $.02, do with it as you will.
    J

7. rjbeck

rjbeck COLLECTOR

Both of these sellers are AP's for the U.S. mint and have been around for decades the coins they are selling are the same coins that every other authorized bullion dealer sold..RB

8. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I certainly didn't recognize the name but if what you say is true, it's worth it for the bullion investment. I don't think Silver will ever return to below $25 per oz. Go for it.

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The dealers probably know more about the market than you do, but I don't think they get notified when the peak (as opposed to yet another spike/dip) arrives. They have to gamble just as we do, albeit with a slightly more favorable "house advantage".

I'm on the fence about this. I've mostly been grabbing silver only when I can get it for 80%-90% of spot or less, but I just don't know what to expect from the pucks in long-term numismatic value. I could definitely lose money if I buy them, but there's a lot of potential for upside regret if I pass.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Gotta say that for those who want these, this seems like a very fair price. Sure as heck beats the moon money that was being paid for these issues back in January.

11. SilverCeder

SilverCeder Active Member

I'm about to pull the trigger and buy a set but I'm a little worried. Their website sucks and if you look at their ebay feedback, they have only one set thats been sold and all the rest are Chinese coins....... hmmmmm..... But the US government trusts them and they've been in business for a long while. Maybe they are just trying to make a bigger name of theirselves with this low price.

12. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Right now Jack hunter has a set for $860.20 plus $88.80 shipping to the lower 48. $949.00 total. $37.96 per oz. Only accepts (postal) money order for payment. Sales are only on line. No phone calls. Product will be shipped Fedex ground 2 to 6 weeks after payment is received. I don't know how long that price will hold, though.

13. Jon H

Jon H Junior Member

And they have to have the money order in 7 days. LOL > now I'm looking around my place seeing what I can sell quickly, arg!

14. SilverCeder

LOL! I'm digging through my collection seeing what I think I want to sell as well........ Maybe only 500.00 worth to cut the cost in half!

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

$89 to ship FedEx GROUND? If this were eBay, I'd be screaming "fee evasion". As it is, I'd still rather go through eBay -- $20 back in eBay Bucks, $10 back from the credit card, no hassle buying postal money orders, no extra fee to FedEx them so they'll get there in time... I'm thinking it's a better deal.

I was thinking about calling the company that's doing the eBay deal and seeing if they can do better with a direct sale, since they'd be saving $50-75 in fees...

16. 9guns

9guns Junior Member

anyone deal with jack hunt. im always leery with other forms of payment other than plastic. are there any other dealers out there with them in stock and take credit cards?

17. SilverCeder

It appears that Manfra, Tordella & Brookes is SOLD OUT on ebay....... crap.

18. JJK78

JJK78 Member

Hahaha you snooze you looze!

Apparently not many people have been following these very carefully. First off these coins being offered by Jack Hunt and MTB are the EXACT same coins the rest of the AP's have been selling for the last 3 months. The reason they are selling them "all of a sudden" has nothing to do with a "silver peak" or any crap like that. The AP's are MANDATED to sell these coins at no more then a 10% profit over the issue price which was almost $10 per ounce less then it is now. So regardless of how long they hold them, even if silver is at $100 an ounce they have to sell them for around $900 + shipping etc.

The reason they are all selling them now is because the mint released the information that they will not sell the 2011 ATB bullion pucks to the AP's unless they have sold all of their 2010's. You can bet your ass the AP's are going to make a LOT more money of the 2011's then they did with the 2010's, hence they are all getting rid of the 2010's.

So for those who want one last chance to get these at a steal of a price looks like Jack Hunt is the only option left right now... Although I believe APMEX still has probably 2000-2500 sets left right? Or have they sold their remaining stock?

19. SilverCeder

APMEX is fresh out as of right now........

20. SilverCeder

OK. I just ordered the whole set from Jack Hunt. As long as I get a Money order to them within 7 days I'm good to go! Total price was $949.00! Finally at a good price! wooohoooo! Might take 6 weeks to get them though...... yuck. Still Happy though! : )

21. SilverCeder

Selling 11 Peace Dollars, 2 Silver eagles, and a 2007 Britannia to offset cost by about half......lol

Draft saved Draft deleted