Burnished 2010 Silver Eagle?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by dchjr, Sep 26, 2016.

1. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

I know that they did not make a burnished Silver Eagle in 2010, but is there a possibility that a burnished planchet was struck as a regular bullion coin? I have a 2010 SE that looks like it is burnished, except it has no W mint mark. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? The comparison pictures show a regular SE with the shiny finish on the left and the burnished one on the right. FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    16925183849805.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I guess it is possible, but it is hard for me to make a distinction based on those photos. The first two side-by-side photos of the obverse and reverse don't show each coin under the same lighting position. You should take each one separately (removed from the plastic case) under the same lighting position.

As for the bottom close-up photo, can you take a similar photo of the other coin for comparison?

Chris

4. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris. It will be a few days before I can get more pictures. Traveling for work right now. I'll get some more posted by the weekend.

5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

To my knowledge no extra handling or steps are taken when preparing the burnished coins. That means that there is NO difference between the burnished SAE and the bullion ASE except for the Mint mark.

So, the short answer to your question is, yes, the bullion coin was struck on a burnished planchet, but that is what they do every year.

6. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

The mint claims the burnished blanks are polished differently.

7. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Yes, I thought they did too and looked it up for more detail. Here is an article on creating burnished goins where they do actually go through a 'polishing' to give them the different Matte finish look. Not all bullion coins go through this process.

http://blog.goldeneaglecoin.com/what-is-a-burnished-coin/

8. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

It depends on who makes the blanks and when. I have bullion eagles from every year and some look different than others. The US mint will source blanks from different places. Sunshine will produce from different facilities which might result in a slightly different blank. A new machine and/or new process for the same facility could result in a different finish too.

Yankee42 likes this.
  9. tekhen

tekhen Member

If memory serves me correctly, I believe the US Mint went from a more polished/proof look to a matte/burnished look for the bullion versions between 2008 and 2012. I will see if I can find an article stating the fact and post later. My guess being that is the difference you are seeing.

dchjr likes this.
  10. mikenoodle

well, what I can add is this...

In 2008 the Mint went from a reducing lathe to digital reduction for the dies. This is likely to have caused some differences in the coins' appearance, and could explain differences between coins dated 2007 and prior with coins dated 2008 and later.

dchjr likes this.
  11. mikenoodle

Nice article. I challenge you, however to look at coins and look at the finishes and tell me if they look any different.

I would also add that the last paragraph of the article describes "What a Burnished Coin looks like" as the design seemingly floating above a MIRROR FIELD.

I'm not sure if they were getting their info mixed up on that one, but it doesn't help me to see burnished coin in my mind. IYKWIM

12. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Wow, that article is one of the bigger pieces of garbage I've ever read. Lots of misinformation in there.

13. mikenoodle

well, Kurt, it comes from a blog, so as with anything, take it with a grain of salt... just like my answers ;)

14. V. Kurt Bellman

So like, where is the mention of the special treatment in the making of the dies? It's not merely a blank treatment difference. The dies are made differently.

15. mikenoodle

Honestly, Kurt, I am unaware of ANY difference in the dies, planchets, or blanks for these coins.

And the coins show no evidence of any special treatment, either

16. V. Kurt Bellman

Well, in the case of the ASE's, the dies are glass-bead sandblasted before use, fields and devices. In the case of their big brother, the 5 ounce puck ATB's, the dies are directly produced by the CNC lathe, not made by pressure transfer from a master hub, then also given the glass bead treatment. There was serious talk of going to direct dies for the burnished ASE from West Point also, but I don't know if that trigger was pulled.

I agree that since 2008, the difference between regular and burnished ASE's is subtle as all git out, but it was obvious in 2006-07. I also quibble with the terminology "digital reduction". It's just plain digital creation; it's not "reduced" from anything. Think of it as Adobe Illustrator with physical depth added to the feature set.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  17. mikenoodle

agreed about the "reduction", however it is more a term of convention. The drawings are done digitally, and the size is virtual.

18. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Chris,
    I finally got a chance to take more pictures. I used the same portion of the coin in the same light witout the holders. The one thing I did notice was that the two coins had a different hue to them. The first of each set is the 2010.

Attached Files:

19. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Well, I wanted to see comparison photos for the entire coin (obverse and reverse), not just bits and pieces.

Chris

21. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Okay, here you go. Thanks again!

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted