Bullion vs collector pricing

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by sea2seerver, Mar 1, 2004.

1. sea2seerver

sea2seerver New Member

I am really new to this and have asked a number of other questions regarding storage...and found several posts that were extensive and helpful. I am looking to put my collectibles (St Gaudens, etc) in air tites but am not sure about maple leafs or krugerands. Are ML's and K's considered 'bullion' coins (investments) and are priced by 'spot'. Or do they become collectibles and more valuable as individual coins (so buyers would be interested in seeing the individual coin) by MS and year pricing? My problem is...do I put the really valuable coins in air tites and the Ml's and Ks in bulk storage containers. Does their appearance do anything for the value of the coin?

If this sounds confusiing...it is. Hopefully someone can make obverse or reverse of all this!

Austin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jody526

jody526 New Member

Maple Leafs and Kruegerands usually sell for a little over spot, so I would consider them as bullion.

4. National dealer

National dealer New Member

One question. Are you sure these are St. Gaudens and not Gold Eagles?

5. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Typically krugerrands and maples and eagles, etc sell for a bit over the spot price. Will they be worth more if you properly preserve them? Well...their value won't increase per se, but if they're damaged, spotted, used in jewelry, cleaned/polished, or carried in your pocket their value will certainly decrease. The well preserved ones still have more eye appeal and will sell long before a used or ugly one will. Damage like I mentioned above can sometimes result in a lower price, and the coin being sent with the next batch of scrap, rather than being put in the case for resale.
    So. How do you preserve them? Airtites are ok if you want to spend the money, but you can also just put them in tubes or inert flips...the key is to not damage them...not really preserve them.
    Nick

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It should also be noted that even though many collectors do not consider the American Gold & Silver Eagles, Maple Leafs, Krugerands etc to be anything but bullion - there are others who do.

There is a very active market for these coins both graded and raw that has little to do with the gold or silver spot price. The coins are highly sought after by these collectors and they will pay a substantial premium for given years in the right grade. Like it or not - that's just the way it is.

dave_in_delaware likes this.
  7. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Good point GDJMSP and that reminds me of another along the same lines. PROOF versions of the gold American Eagle are rather pricey compared to their "business strike" counterparts.

But if you are only interested in putting some money into gold, the regular Eagles and Rands etc are your best bet. I might also mention that the premiums are lower on one ounce coins so you may consider avoiding the half oz, quarter oz and tenth oz pieces unless you specifically want those sizes.
    Nick

8. National dealer

National dealer New Member

We have been selling a few for customers that compete in the registry sets, but most are bought for bullion. The silver eagles seem to have a whole different set of rules.

slackaction1 likes this.
  9. Zlatan

Zlatan New Member

I prefer buying popular coins close to the spot price (eagles, maple leafs, panda coins) as they have high liquidity. I also buy exclusive releases with low premiums sometimes because they can have some numismatic value in the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted