Bullion buyers in Illinois

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jesh, May 8, 2009.

1. Jesh

Jesh New Member

I have a few ounces of gold and platinum I'd like to dump, plus a ton of modern buffalo.

Anybody know any dealers in the burbs of Chicago (NW/W)?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

A place called Treasure Hunter's Roadshow based in Athens, IL came to my hometown and when I brought my coins and bullion in, a potentially high value coin disappeared into thin air. After I identified the "expert" who determined the values of my coins to the sheriffs, it turns out he is a convicted conman, with offenses already this year. So based on the ethics af the people they hire, I say don't go near THEM.

4. AshcraftCoin

AshcraftCoin Member

Whoa, that is crazy... I am in Springfield (15 minutes away). Interesting.

Regards,
    Michael

5. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

My lesson learned is this: no matter how much they try to rush you, do it one coin at a time, every time. If they don't like your pace, too bad.

6. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

If you don't get an acceptable answer, I know of a shop in Downers Grove that buys that kind of stuff and is fair. You can PM me if you want details.

7. ED TAY

ED TAY Member

Good Lord Almighty!!

That's the folk's I brought up in my thread "don't greysheet me pal" here's the part about that!!!!!

:loud:

8. dorancoins

dorancoins Numismatic Superstar

The best place for that is Chicago Coin Company. Very reputable dealer. They're located on W. Archer in Chicago.

9. dorancoins

There were something like that in Charleston recently. I was half tempted to picket outside the hotel telling everyone to avoid them. :D

I refer to these so-called dealers as the "traveling gypsy dealers" who buy so low that its scary. My advice - avoid them at all costs. There are good dealers who won't take you for a ride.

10. ED TAY

ED TAY Member

And I thought about standing outside with a sign saying "If they offer you less, I'll pay more"

11. dorancoins

Makes sense to me! :D

12. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

They're downtown but I have had good experience dealing with Harlan J Berk. Tell Tom DeLorey hi if you go there. They have recently gotten into the bullion market with a big splash so insist on competitive prices for your stuff. 20 North Clark Street, if memory serves me right (it's been a few years since I've been there). Good luck

George
    ================
    VDB Coins

13. Bluto

Bluto Junior Member

I'm glad someone asked this as I was just about to. I've been trying to find a decent coin dealer to find out if the stuff I acquired is worth anything.

14. giorgio11

Bob Greenberg used to work there too and is a good guy, maybe he still does. Good luck you Chicago types!

Best Regards,

George
    =================
    VDB Coins

15. ED TAY

ED TAY Member

You know your gettin snookered if they walk out of the room with cell phone in hand talking to the person their going to sell your stuff to, before they buy it from you.

If you see them in action, Think about what I just said.

16. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

I guess depends on how close you want to get.

Harbour coin , winthrop harbour
    collecters source in McHenrey
    fox valley coins in Naperville
    rarcoa in willowbrook
    rockford coin in rockford

17. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I've purchased from Harlan Berk with good results and they seem very reputable. However, I've never sold anything to them.

18. dorancoins

Of the dealers listed, Fox Valley Coins (Aurora/Naperville) is not recommended! In the Collectors Universe forums, there is a posting about them, and from the experiences of those who have posted there, they are very hard to deal with.

Here are the dealers that, from my experiences, are easy to deal with:

Chicago Coin Company (Chicago)
    Harlan J Berk, Ltd. (Chicago)
    Gabe's Coins (Glen Ellyn)
    LaGrange Stamp & Coin (LaGrange)
    Dr. Robert Friedman & Sons - Stamps & Coins (Woodridge)
    Morris Coin Shop (Morris)
    Will County Coin & Currency (Shorewood)
    Morton Grove Coins & Collectibles (Morton Grove)
    Kedzie Koins & Jewelry (Chicago)
    Icoin (Joliet)

19. Jesh

Jesh New Member

Thanks for all the info guys. HJB is @ 31 Clark by the way not 20. They are supposed to be respectable, so I will check them out.

Thanks again,

Jesh

20. giorgio11

I was pretty close. 31 minus 20 plus 60 (years old) plus 6 (years since I've been there) = passing grade, 77, right! Right?! :thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted