BU 2017 P Shield 1 cent ERROR

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by usmc60, Mar 22, 2017.

1. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Just picked up a box of the new BU shielded cents. Nothing unusual to start off with take a look for yourself. USMC60 ct3-22-1c-1.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I would like to add this addition to these photos. I have found these particular cracks on quite a few of the ones that I've examined. All are in the same location but a few very in the amount of fractures.:rolleyes::blackalien: ct3-22-1c-10.jpg ct3-22-1c-11.jpg

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Thumbnail #2 #3 and #4 show Die Deterioration

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I believe those are Die Scratches not Cracks

6. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

At first I thought so too. But then after examining several more and one thing the photo does not show they are slightly raised even though they are small as though a scrat would penetrate the surface of the planchet. Unless Tom at the mint got a hold of the die and put the wire brush to it as you see in a lot of one cent coins.And the ones I have found are all located in the same spot. I'll post a couple of more pics. All I'm saying to the members that are going to be looking through some of the new coins for 2017 expect to find this whatever it may be on some of the coins you'll be looking at.Really don't have the time to get in the box right now to examine more.:blackalien:

7. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Agreed :blackalien:

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

A scratch would create a depression in the die and a corresponding raised spot on the coin.

9. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I'm sorry did you miss out about Tom get hold of the die with a wire brush. Well a wire brush on the surface of the die would cause scratches in the die itself thus resulting in raised scratch marks on the coin itself. And you are absolutely correct in your statement this one I will get back with a photo as soon as I can find one. And I'm sure Paddyman has one. Right now I have not examine that many so I will not really make a strong judgment on what exactly they are. But right now all indications are fracture cracks in the die. USMC60

10. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

paddyman98 I think you'll like this one.o_O:blackalien: ct3-24-6.jpg

yartiques and paddyman98 like this.
  11. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Here's one more. It starts at the top of Lincoln's head in the hair, here we have a small die chip. Then there is a lamination split that runs to the left of the chip. Works in progress to provide better photos.:snaphappy::blackalien: ct3-24-5.jpg

12. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

As far as the micro cracks on the left side of the shield I've only found four out of 100. And they are the exactly the same so there's no reason to show a pic of them. I'm going to have to say a micro die crack. That's my story and I'm gonna stick with it. USMC60

13. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

352sdeer and angelis like this.
  14. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Just wanted to introduce you to Tom at the Philadelphia mint doing his thing with a die Philadelphia-Mint-Buffer-Polisher-Tom-Larizzio-Circulated-Die-Finish-510x382.jpg USMC60

352sdeer likes this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Do you know more about the photo? Is that a wire or polishing wheel?

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It looks like he is working on the edge of the die. The station has a sign that says "green". I guess it's a polishing wheel using green polishing compound.

17. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

You see what I see. I believe Tom's little set up there has a variety of wire brushes and polishing wheels. Basically he's in charge of inspecting and maintaining the dies before production and during production.:D:blackalien:

18. tony esposito

tony esposito sc coin collector

they are calling that mouse hairs

usmc60 likes this.
  19. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I believe this error to be a broken die, resulting in the chips in Lincoln's head. ct11-18-b.jpg Now this next one is my zeke view. ct11-18-c.jpg

20. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I have noticed what one member calls mouse whiskers. There is a another occurrence that happens, it looks like a small scratch on the right side of the top of the shield.

I have found this occurs on the few coins that I have examined that have the mouse whiskers. Take a look. USMC60
    ct11-19.jpg

21. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Die polish marks pd-1.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted