BN and RB toned memorial cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BlackberryPie, Oct 28, 2020.

1. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

Are BN and RB toned MS and PR memorial cents worth the grading fees if the grades are roughly 64, 65, 66?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Depends on how dramatic the toning is. The vast majority probably aren’t but full blown neon rainbows is another story.

ddddd likes this.
  4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

The variations in toning on LMC's is interesting. Do you have any to post?

5. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

They appear similar to this bad photo. Bluish purple tones with a red coppery background.
    IMG_20201027_195914423.jpg IMG_20201027_200026527.jpg

6. Inspector43

Here is one of mine.
    1960D Toned LMC.jpg

7. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

I'll take photos with a DSLR tonight.

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I think they call that urine toning because there is a chemical in our sweat and urine which makes them take on that slight purple-blue color. Not sure where I heard that but it someone knows if that is true let me know.

9. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Found this thread on the topic- yours is much weaker so I assume it was not submerged :smuggrin: just in a sweaty hand. https://www.cointalk.com/threads/would-ya-just-look-at-it.352789/

These coins remind me of when I would play baseball, I would always have pennies in my pocket because I loved them and I'd play with them behind the plate when i was a catcher. I think they ended up like this but it has been some time. I probably spent them on a cool blue Gatorade at the drink stand. :p

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Most of the toned material you have shown in the past is incredible. These LMCs have rather generic toning and would not generate a toning premium worthy of submission IMO. This is the only mint state rainbow toned LMC that I have ever owned.

[​IMG]

IIRC, I sold it for $50-$60.

11. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

They were in the same dansco that these came from.
    DSC_0016.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0048-2.JPG DSC_0049.JPG DSC_0050-2.JPG DSC_0051.JPG DSC_0052-2.JPG DSC_0053.JPG DSC_0148 (2).JPG DSC_0149 (2).JPG

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Sulfur in food ( many veggies have sulfur ) is not stored in a medically normal person, so it is added to organic waste molecules and eliminated mostly by urination and small amounts in perspiration. If you have a urinary infections many of those bacteria involved metabolize and release sulfur compounds. Jim

Evan Saltis likes this.
  13. Inspector43

Where do these fall in the toned scheme? I have had them since early childhood (1950 or so) and found them in change. I have many more in my collection.
    1909 P Toned.jpg 1918 Wood Grain Toned.jpg 1919 S Toned.jpg 1921 S Toned.jpg

14. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

This has the same purplish blue but with pinks and golds. Graded 66RB.
    DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0022.JPG

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Personally I don't think they are worth grading costs.

16. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

I sold the 55S for $180.

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Glad you got that for it but I wouldn't have spent that much.

18. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

The 44S is a pop 1/2.

19. ddddd

ddddd Member

The 1965 might be worth a shot if sent in with other coins to lower the cost per coin. There are collectors looking for RB and BN examples to complete an entire date set, so it's always possible there would be interest in coins like that.

20. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

These all came from a dansco my father put together years ago. The coins originally came from Mike DeFalco, well known for selling some of the coins in the Sunnywood Simpson collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted