Black beauty nickel

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dv8one, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

I was wondering if anyone has come across any other dates of black beauty nickels cause i think i found a 2013 one its m
    Not black from wear amd tear its different i camt explain it but its shiny still with luster but has a blak kinda silvery rainbow tone 20181223_114336.jpg 20181223_114329.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

Sorry. For bad pics its really new and shiny in hand

4. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Not a black beauty. That is discoloration from environmental factors.

Dv8one likes this.
  5. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

Ok thanks curious why it looks so new though ive seen a million black nickels but yhisone has luster stil and orher than color looks straight frim the mint im not sayin your wrong cause im sure your right im.just curious

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Excuse me if I misinterpreted your comment. The "Black beauty nickels " that warrant high cost are not just nickles that end up blackish from anything. It has to be from a specific problem in annealing the coin metal before minting the coins, Look the subject up ( Google will have specific threads that have been on here and elsewhere). there are only certain years that this seems to have happened at the mint and should help. It is not just a discolored nickel in general. Jim

7. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

Thats what im saying this nickel looks like.

8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I respectfully disagree. Here’s mine for comparison.

0C2DD24F-087E-4AE7-BFEF-3EA2F839F5CC.jpeg D08CD705-23B1-48F0-A924-2FEF68A90319.jpeg

Collecting Nut and JCro57 like this.
  9. JCro57

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

11. JCro57

Seattlite86 and paddyman98 like this.
  12. Keith121

Keith121 New Member

Sure they can turn different colors..
    But then they're not black nickels, they're discolored.Black nickels are the very hot or overheated planchets, ones that are a lesser temperatures, will show a lesser degree of discoloration.

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Environmental toning

14. Keith121

Keith121 New Member

They can turn many shades... but there is a difference between a "toned" coin, or a discolored coin, and a Black Beauty. Many factors play into it, but a genuine and true Black Beauty is black, solid in color ( not cloudy), and is so because it was subjected to "extreme" and even excessive heat. It has gone through a complete physical and chemical change. This can not always be said about toned or shaded coins, as they have not reached the point or temperature/conditions to where they become black....

15. Rafique

Rafique RafMal

hey friend , sorry i just jumped in here , but i think ...maybe Black Beauty a 1943

Attached Files:

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

This thread is over a year old so best to start a new one. Not a black beauty, just toning as the nickel has silver.

paddyman98 likes this.
  17. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nope.. You have a Environmental Exposure Toned silver War Nickel
    d1c34e701d0de17b2087c4ce9fc9abee.jpg

18. Rafique

Rafique RafMal

lol my bad thanks

19. Rafique

Rafique RafMal

Thanks man

Draft saved Draft deleted