Big Beautiful Bronzes.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by BenSi, Aug 12, 2020.

1. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

I do not get new coins that often but these two caught my attention for different reasons. They arrived today.

The first you must remember" Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

h3.jpg
    Tiberius II Constantine 10.572g, 31.3mm, SBCV-441

And this heavy Greek Bronze
    I3.jpg

Seleukid Kingdom, Antiochus IV Epiphanes 35.690g, 32.7mm

Please share your big beautiful Bronzes , Greek Roman, Byzantine Etc. Etc.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

BenSi, Nice score :D! I love the Byzantine bronze of Tiberius II Constantine. The Alexandrian bronze could be a dangerous hockey puck :p.

BenSi likes this.
  4. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

My biggest
    g301.jpg
    Ptolemy III Euergetes
    246 to 222 BC
    Mint: Alexandria Phase 2, Series 1
    AE Oktobol
    Obvs: Diademed head of Zeus-Ammon right.
    Revs: ΠTOΛEMAIOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ, Eagle standing left on thunderbolt. No control marks.
    45mm, 93.26g
    Ref: Svoronos 412; SNG Copenhagen 141

robinjojo, Theodosius, TIF and 11 others like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

15 Shekels

I have posted this before, but it is the largest Hand-Stamped Ancient Coin (not a cast coin), in my collection... and, honestly, a 15-Shekel Coin is an odd denomination. I am not sure if they truly know its denomination, but this one is a "HORSE" of a Coin:

These were minted after Hannibal was defeated by Scipio at the Battle of Zama in 202 BCE. Carthage was defeated and owed massive indemnity payments to Rome. Hannibal was asked to lead Carthage and reorganize their finances... This appears to be the largest denomination at 15 Shekels, and is my largest stamped coin...

This guy is a huge BRONZE... 3+ Troy Ounces

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Seller write-up:
    Carthage.
    Circa 201-175 BC.
    Æ 15 Shekels
    45 mm. dia. 7.5 mm. thick. 102.6 g
    Obv: Wreathed head of Tanit left
    Rev: Horse standing right; uraeus above.
    Ref: MAA 104 ; SNG Copenhagen 400.
    Comment: Original green patina.
    Note: The largest Carthaginian coin and likely one of the largest coins struck in antiquity.
    Very rare.

This extraordinary large bronze coin was likely issued under the administration of Hannibal, who, following defeat at the battle of Zama, was appointed as chief magistrate of Carthage. Hannibal worked effectively to restore the finances of Carthage. The annual payment of 10,000 talents to Rome as reparations for the war, and the loss of control over the silver mines in Spain made the issuing of a silver coinage impossible. The immense thickness of this coin also precluded any significant relief of the die's impression

6. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

That is a monster of a coin, I bet you know when that has left your pocket.

+VGO.DVCKS and David@PCC like this.
  7. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

beautiful! That one more than likely did not fit in a pocket.

+VGO.DVCKS and Alegandron like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you.

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Quite a Carthage hockey puck there. I didn't know that they had ice rinks in Africa at the time... ;)

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  10. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

My largest bronze of Justin I and smallest bronze of Anastasius
    067111A2-F300-47F8-A7BD-A059CCE76566.jpeg

11. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Nice T2C. I think the facing coins are interesting. I have a few large cast bronze coins.
    20200412_131211.jpg
    DSCN3084.JPG DSCN3091.JPG
    I also have a large bronze medal that was given to folks at my plant a couple of decades ago. At 216 grams it is heavier than the cast Semis shown above, but less than early cast Asses. My heaviest struck coin is less than 50 grams.
    20200812_135820.jpg

12. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I almost bought that Tiberius, I think. FAC?

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  13. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Yes, I am glad I did not hesitate when I saw it.

+VGO.DVCKS and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  14. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

This is one of my largest:

[​IMG]
    Gordian III, AD 238-244.
    Roman Provincial Æ 35 mm, 26.72 g, 6 h.
    Pisidia, Antioch, AD 238-244.
    Obv: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian III, r., seen from rear.
    Rev: COL CAES ANTIOCH, S-R, Mên standing r., wearing Phrygian cap, foot on bucranium, holding sceptre and Victory (standing r., on globe, holding trophy), resting elbow on column; behind his shoulders, crescent; to l., rooster standing, l.
    Refs: RPC VII.2, — (unassigned; ID 3431); Krzyżanowska XXII/94; BMC xix.187, 70.
    20200803_193500.jpg

15. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

A solid as

upload_2020-8-14_8-8-32.png
    Anonymous Cast Æ As. Rome, circa 225-217 BC. Libral standard. Laureate head of bearded Janus; horizontal I (mark of value) below; all on a raised disk / Prow of galley right; I (mark of value) above; all on a raised disk. Crawford 35/1; HN Italy 337; ICC 74. 274.13g, 64mm, 12h.

16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Not absolutely huge, but big enough.

This one ranks pretty big on my "seller's remorse" list. :(

[​IMG]

17. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

My largest is this monstrous Ptolemy IV at 47mm:

[​IMG]

Ptolemaic Kingdom. Ptolemy IV. AE 47 mm, 83.3 g. Drachm. The biggest denomination. Ex-Rare.

Obverse: Diademed head of Zeus-Ammon right
    Reverse: Eagle standing left on thunderbolt, looking back, wings spread

In second place, this Justinian at 43mm:
    [​IMG]
    Justinian I, 527-565. Follis (Bronze, 43mm, 22.29 g 6), Nicomedia, RY 12 = 538/9. D N IVSTINIANVS P P AVC Diademed, helmeted and cuirassed bust of Justinian facing, holding globus cruciger and shield; in field to right, cross. Rev. A / N / N / N / O - XII / NIKO Large M; above, cross; below, A. DOC 115a. MIB 113a. SB 201

I'm not a serious collector of Byzantine or Ptolemaic coinage, but these were too impressive not to own.

18. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oh yes! Thank you for reminding me. I once had one of those big, ginormous Justinian folles on my old Holey Coin Vest. Picked it up for twenty bucks at a show.

'Twas a nice affordable addition to my wearable collection! [​IMG]

Photo
    [​IMG]

Scan, with dime for scale
    [​IMG]

2004 photo of coin geek regalia
    [​IMG]

19. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I have a few large flan Justinian I folles. This is the best grade example:

Byzantine Empire, 539 AD
    AE Follis
    Justinian I (527-565 AD)
    Constantinople
    Obverse: D N IVSTINI-ANVS P P AVC, helmeted, cuirassed bust of Justinian facing, globus cruciger in right hand, shield with horseman motif in left; cross in right field.
    Reverse: large M between A-N-N-O (stacked on left) and XII (on right), cross above and A below; CON in exergue.
    Sear 163.
    23.0 grams
    40 mm, 6 h.

[​IMG]

Here's a recent arrival, and while not truly "big", it is an interesting and scarce coin, albeit crude, with the reverse depicting the agonistic table and objects.

For those interested in more information on agonistic coins, here's a link to Forum Ancient Coin's page on the topic, authored by Doug Smith:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/agon.html

Gordian III Æ29 of Anchialus, Thrace. AD 238-244. AVT K M ANT ΓOPΔIANOC AVΓ, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / OVΛΠIANΩN AΓXIAΛЄΩN, agonistic table surmounted by prize urn containing two palms, and two purses; amphora below, E in exergue. Corpus Nummorum Online 5851. 13.50g, 30mm, 6h.

D-Camera Gordian III Æ29 of Anchialus, Thrace. AD 238-244, Roma,  8-14-20.jpg

20. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

A new one , now my biggest.

Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt, Ptolemy III Euergetes, 246 - 222 B.C.
    42.83 gm and 38.6mm
    Just got this from Forum.
    s3.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted