Big 5 Black Rhino

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by RhinoEmpire, Feb 12, 2016.

1. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

$169.00 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/131725636996) for an ounce of silver is a little excessive, but I'm a sucker for rhinos and decided to pull the trigger on this beauty. Has anyone purchased any of the Big 5 series?
    big5Rhino.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I have never seen this.. what would the other of the Big 5 be in the series?

4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I am a sucker for rhinos too, but this seems like a touch high. I wonder if they sell uncertified pieces.

spirityoda likes this.
  6. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

The mintage is limited to 5K, so it's unlikely you will find any uncertified. The previous issues from 2014 (lion) and 2015 (elephant; below) both came in gold and silver. For me this is something that will sit on my desk rather than a dark safe.

264590_1_1.jpg

longnine009 likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

This is where I absolutely have to draw the line! NGC should be ashamed that they would allow a special insert classifying any endangered species as a "Top 5" game animal. Some of the sub-species of black rhino are considered critically endangered and at least one of the sub-species is considered extinct. The predicament of the African Elephant is no better.

Chris

dwhiz and Stevearino like this.
  8. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Oh dear.... my guess is it is an old saying, and became a thing before some of these became endangered, etc. The wiki link said tourist/safari groups also use the saying. So let's pretend it means the big 5 animals tourists wanna see. Cool coins, by the way. Wonder what a gold one costs.

9. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Way cool I have never seen these. I have been collecting the Rwanda series of coins though.

10. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I wonder why a country would even make only 5,000 of this. The costs must dwarf any financial benefit so why do it ?

Nice coin, wonder how much a 69 or 68 would cost. I guess 1 isn't bad but no way you can justify investing larger sums at that premium.

I wonder if this counts as a commemorative that our friend only purchases ?

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The Pert mint regularly puts out pieces with a mintage limit in that range which they wouldn't do if they lost money on everyone. I am not sure what country put that one out, but I doubt they would have taken the job if their numbers didn't show it should be profitable.

12. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Right, I forgot.....Tanzania didn't make the coin, they outsourced it. Still, very little money made for the host country but I guess every little bit helps for the dictators who run those countries and help themselves to some of the profits. :D

13. baseball21

Yea I can't imagine the host country made much money off of that at all. It is probably more of a get your name out their pride thing for them.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  14. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

Ouch! Some of these comments are zingers! For the record, I don't advocate the hunting of endangered species, or support dictators of corrupt governments. I just like "the shiny".

15. baseball21

Most people should agree with that. It is certainly a beautiful series

Draft saved Draft deleted