BEWARE OF EBAY SELLER SELLING CHINA FAKES !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by kolyan760, May 15, 2018.

1. gold standard db

gold standard db Active Member

I know we are off the gold standard but the chinese are copying everthing. Printing out Honus Wagner baseball cards and forge'n everything else under the sun. Its an attack on history.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I once read a really staggering statistic somewhere that maybe something like half (or even more) of the Civil War artifacts on the collector's market are fake.

I'm paraphrasing since I forget the exact statistic, and don't know how real it is (or how anybody could quantify that), but it's a pretty sobering thought.

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I recall an appraiser on Antiques Roadshow saying something to this effect about CSA antiques. Staggering and sobering indeed!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. Art Wilkerson

Art Wilkerson Member

One favorite story about wine and China. A bottle of Chateau la Pope was sold to a group of diners and they added coke to it.

6. Art Wilkerson

Art Wilkerson Member

These are coin ”slabs” to buy to do your own. 3F9561C9-A1C3-472C-ACDA-D4803D47ACDE.png 200EBAC4-DF57-4213-A04E-4A1C994300ED.png

7. Art Wilkerson

Art Wilkerson Member

8. lordmarcovan

Those are not the same thing at all. The counterfeit Chinese slabs we're discussing would be sonically sealed like an actual TPG slab, not just snapped together like the Everslab and other "do it yourself" holders.

9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

This is a quality product made by a German company (Lighthouse) and is completely unrelated to counterfeit slabs.

10. Art Wilkerson

Art Wilkerson Member

The top one is meant to be sonically sealed and is made in China. It is the same as an NCG holder. On Alibaba.con, they have the PCGS style for sale.

11. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Sure, the PCCB products are cheap Chinese knock-offs. But why did you post a picture of the Everslabs?

12. Art Wilkerson

Art Wilkerson Member

13. Art Wilkerson

Art Wilkerson Member

If you read the whole post, a person asked what types where available. I posted the three that are for sale on eBay under coin supplies.

14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I think Mr. Wilkerson's post a reasonable addition to the thread.

I'm sure others remember the Amos/CoinWorld standard holders very similar to old-ANACS? Take a white insert, remove the rear inside sticker from a real insert and place it on the back half of said holder to cover the CW logo, and stick some sort of "inventory" sticker over the small front lower-corner logo, and you're left with something that could very easily fool those not familiar with the real deal. This is a true experience and is worth repeating.

Even if this isn't directly related to the main subject, any info that could help newer folks from making a regrettable mistake should be viewed as a fair contribution imo.

*coins, Numismat and -jeffB like this.
  15. lordmarcovan

Aha. Yes, I did notice the similarity with NGC's white inserts.

16. Art Wilkerson

Art Wilkerson Member

Also a sure giveaway on the fake holder, look at the hologram. On a real slab it does not look torn on one side. The one pictured on the right side does not look right.

17. Art Wilkerson

Art Wilkerson Member

This is a ”secure” holder for bars. D83ACD3D-86DE-410A-9CAA-630C1496EC2D.png

*coins likes this.
  18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's happening with all collectables which is one of the reasons why certification companies are coming/have come about in a lot of areas.

For civil war stuff I'd bet the number of fakes is MUCH higher than half. Just think about how many small shows and sellers around the country there are for that type of stuff that have no problem ripping people off with round metal balls and replicas they aged

19. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

20. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

I agree with @baseball21 . These certification companies are needed due to the rampant counterfeiting of anything worth $$$. Everyday on this forum and others, people post threads/topics regarding: "Is this coin real, etc".

Heck yesterday I posted this:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/was-i-wrong-in-saying-this-was-a-counterfeit-thai-key-coin.316752/

Found out about a fake thai coin and subsequently saw someone on ebay selling it. Alerted them, they said they had it in the family for a long time and someone did a buy it now and bought it. I mostly trust NGC/PCGS and ANACs are anything valuable now.

21. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

I see a lot of sellers that have fakes from China.
    I turn them in to Ebay, and some have had their items removed.

Draft saved Draft deleted