Beware - a seller that keeps selling a tainted 1895-O Morgan

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Brett_in_Sacto, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Just a word of warning.

I was pulled in by a scammer last week. Thankfully there is buyer protection - and a return policy which I am taking advantage of.

"BU Uncirculated Choice" 1895-O and my winning bid was over $3k. I was set to go much higher - we all know this is a rare bird.

I saw the coin in hand and got a bit worried, so I took it to my 2 fave LCS's and one of them is owned by an ex-PCGS grader (I call him eagle eye, which is an insult to him - because eagles don't have near the same quality eyes!)

The coin has been wiped - HARD. Cleaning lines across the coin and into the devices.

The coin has been altered in an attempt to try and induce luster.

The coin has lacquer on many spots and other residue. There is literally red lacquer around every one of the stars,

The coin has been darkened by what appears to be thick tobacco smoke.

Three people agreed: Details - AU - altered surfaces, foreign substance, cleaned, contaminated.

The story the guy told about the coin's history...well... I didn't care or believe the story - I was buying the coin. The seller has camera talent to hide the flaws unless you really look after seeing coin in hand.

The seller SOLD THE COIN AT LEAST 2 OTHER TIMES ON EBAY AND HAD IT RETURNED. This I did not see coming, until I started looking at past sales. If you all know how to search sold items, I'm sure you can find the duplicate sales. Once for $960, once for $2k and now for over $3k.

I am getting my money back - but what a hassle - and A LIAR!!! Beware of the seller kremlin_collector as he now has multiple recent negative feedback - and the guy was selling HIGH DOLLAR RARE COINS. He literally sold off some $30k worth of coins in the same day.

Ebay Seller: kremlin_collector

I'm fearing how many others were duped.

The angles and color adjustment in his camera were pretty amazing. What a talent - for scamming. :meh:

The first picture is his. The rest are mine.

The red dot on her head is actually red lacquer filling in a hole.

[​IMG]
    upload_2019-2-7_13-49-52.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-7_13-50-4.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-7_13-50-20.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-7_13-49-38.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-7_13-50-42.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That suck!
    Sorry to hear.

Santinidollar and Brett_in_Sacto like this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

That's horrible but glad you are covered. Any intentions of taking it a step above,like the FBI? It is fraud after all and postal fraud to boot.

adam5000 and Brett_in_Sacto like this.
  5. Brett_in_Sacto

We've got real crimes out there (identity fraud, shooters... *Russians* :) ), and Ebay is a safe haven. I will admit the buyer's protection is sometimes overbearing on sellers - but it does work when needed.

He would claim ignorance of coin grading and that would be that. And it would take tons of my time, a lawyer, and our courts. Caveat Emptor - and I was very aware of the risks, and my protections before putting up such big numbers on a coin.

I am thinking the financial implications and the ratings will eventually teach him a lesson maybe? He took an 1100+ feedback profile and destroyed it in a short while.

6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I recall looking at this sellers coins when he first listed on eBay, and thinking he was going to do a lot of damage.

eBay doesn't do anything at all about these sellers, ostensibly because they want the fees more than they want loyal bidders . . . very short-sighted of them.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  7. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Good to hear you're getting your money back..

Brett_in_Sacto and NOS like this.
  8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

For that much money I wouldn't touch it unless it were slabbed by one of the two biggies.

9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

lesson #1: don’t spend $3000 on a raw coin listed on eBay
    lesson #2: don’t try grading coins based only on the seller’s images
    lesson #3: only buy from well known/trusted dealers you’ve made business with before

10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Looks as though his stapler is failing as bad as mine.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sorry to hear about this but extremely glad you will be getting your money back. Have you considered waiting until the coin is relisted then reporting it to eBay as fraud?

Ericred likes this.
  12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

13. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I don’t have an issue with spending big on a raw coin as long as I am well versed in the series, but this one looks mid AU even in the sellers images and I’m a little surprised that you went that high. At least you’ll get your dough back.

14. Brett_in_Sacto

These are not new lessons :rolleyes:

These were known and factored into the purchase. I knew that I had buyer's protection and a return policy - so I was safe.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. It was a calculated risk.

At AU53 it was a bit pricey - but it was a beautiful coin that matched my set. AU55 it was a break even fair price. At an AU58 it was a bargain, and if in fact it was MS - well...it would have been a home run.

The last time I bought a bunch of bulk Morgan's I ended up buying 100 coins, and 18 of them went MS, and I ended up with several coins that were over $100 value, including 2 CC Morgans that the seller missed. More often than not, I win on calculated risks.

It's a gamble, it's a risk. But I knew this going in - and there was minimal downside except time and hassle. It's just a shame we have these schmucks in the community.

serafino, tommyc03, Paul M. and 3 others like this.
  15. Brett_in_Sacto

At AU55 these coins are going over $3k and AU58 is getting closer to 5k at auction houses.

16. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Thanks for taking the time to inform the community. I’m glad eBay has the buyer protection.

I’ll keep that in mind the next time I bid a couple thousand dollars for a coin, which according to my wife, will be never.

micbraun, Brett_in_Sacto and -jeffB like this.
  17. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Not really lately, the price drop is very dramatic on these in AU

E354DF2C-BEFF-4302-B541-BD6BF149A6BB.png

micbraun, Seattlite86 and C-B-D like this.
  18. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

Nice big fingerprint in the field between BUS and her cap too.

19. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

From the seller’s pictures the cleaning is obvious... and yes, the fingerprint kills the remaining value.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  20. Brett_in_Sacto

Remind me never to trade wives with you!!! :woot:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Sorry, I'm not taking up for the scammer. But you got what you deserved. You should considered yourself lucky you got your $ back too.

Draft saved Draft deleted