Best way to raise funds? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Peter T Davis, May 25, 2017.

1. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Probably so, but I'm sure Doug would consider it as for the greater good and would "happily" (begrudgingly) oblige if the price was right. It would surely be an interesting eBay listing with a very high reserve to say the least.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Thousands of eyebrows!

micbraun, Kentucky, Insider and 2 others like this.
  4. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

Peter, I've returned to CT after a short hiatus. One of the first things I wanted to do was to become a supporting member again. I looked for about 15 minutes and couldn't find any way to do so. Sure, I spend hours researching a particular date and mm of relatively little value, etc..., and could have looked further, but I gave up after that. I think a pronounced "something," like a "contribute to CT here!" tab would be more than justified. If you do decide to utilize the mint sets, I'd start by posting them here for multiples of the fmv somewhere. Any purchaser should receive a unique supporter identifier as others have suggested. I'd be the first to buy a set or two and continue/contribute to this great resource.

I've been working on my particular series for close to a decade. The other day, I went on another forum and guessed the exact TPG grade on every single GTG thread applicable to my series after a couple years of inactivity. Seriously, every single one... and there must have been 4 or 5 different threads. I guess what I'm saying is, despite some of the negativity as of late, this has been my cornerstone for grading development. To me, that's very important and has been my area of focus. I'd actually challenge anyone outside of CT who isn't an actual TPG grader to compete w/ me in my series on an online photo GTG competition. That's a very bold challenge, but I stand by it. Mainly, because of CT, its members, and a few very strict original surfaces type independent graders/dealers who I've crossed paths with over the years like Anawan Coin Co of MA. I'd drive from NH to a Westford show or something back in 2009 when I had just enough $ to cover the gas and a <$50 coin or two and a pack of smokes. You may have paid a little more, but you'd always receive a very strong coin and the type of care factor and education that only people looking to promote the hobby ever offer. That's what I feel here. So, thank you Peter, thank you CT members, and especially thank you to CT supporters.

5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Click on your name on the top banner then select "account upgrades".

WashQuartJesse likes this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And that's probably all it would raise - eyebrows !

That said, I'll do it ;)

Two conditions:
    1 - I'll never do it again
    2 - As long as it's not Frank that wins :p

Awwwwwwright, just kidding on that last one. Yeah Frank, I'd even do it for you :D

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

HOLY SCHNIKES, get a load of this @Treashunt!

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

:eek:

Kirkuleez likes this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Hey maybe a like from Doug could raise enough for that server. OK Frank cough it up. :)

10. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Maybe post all of your items to eBay at 99 cents (w/ either free shipping, or fixed shipping and free combined shipping), and publicize that auction here. Include the purpose of that auction on the eBay listing. Make it a temporary sticky thread for the duration of the auction.

Also, a limited time reduced price offer to be a supporter of CT, with privileges emphasized.

And/or a Kickstarter? GoFundMe? Indiegogo?

11. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

How would reducing the price to be a supporter yield more money for the site and not less?

Just curious

12. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Not a word about the full size pictures option? :)

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What is the point of putting new rims on your car if you don't have the money to pay for tires?

Chris;););)

Insider and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  14. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

All these replies and so many ideas. But, really, how much is needed? There are enough people interest that a simple appeal for donations, with or without benefits, maybe enough.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Several great ideas above. How could we donate without Peter having to pay any fees on the donations?

16. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

PayPal gift is free to send and receive I believe.

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

It can't hurt to put them on the "For Sale" forum.

18. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I was thinking the same exact thing :)

19. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Yep, just let us know when they are available. I'm sure that even listing them at high retail would be fine, considering the cause. Auctions? I don't know, but, Some of us want to help out. I will admit that I haven't become a supporter yet, but will be soon. I think that I'm starting to understand how to interact (WIP) in the community, and absolutely want to help keep this site running. Thank YOU Peter.
    John.

P.S. let's go, ready to buy something. :)

Kentucky likes this.
  20. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

21. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

If you make the assumption that ten people would be willing to pay $20, but only 1 person is willing to pay $100, then you double your income by reducing the price. I have no idea what the prices actually are, just an example.

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted