Help identifying German medal?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by sakata, Mar 28, 2017.

1. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Several years ago there was an auction on EBay which contained, among several other good-value items, this medal. I had no idea what it was or how much it was worth but did not take account of it in my bid. So I essentially got it for free. Over the years I have made attempts to find out something about it but the best I could come up with was that about 6 or 7 years ago three copies of it sold for around 60-70 Euros each on a German auction website. Unfortunately my German is not good enough to tell me anything further about it. It is clearly a commemorative medal related to the Reichstag in Berlin, but beyond that I have no idea. Can anyone help?

SL-scan20170328_0035 - Copy.jpg SL-scan20170328_0034.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Oldhoopster and chrisild like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

It's not a coin so it would not be in any normal Numismatic books.. so it would be hard ... I will send it to a co worker he speaks a few languages

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

sakata likes this.
  4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

It is a Lauer medal, appears to be commemorating the finishing of the Reichstag building in 1894. It is a lovely medal, not a bad pickup.

chrisild, kaosleeroy108 and sakata like this.
  5. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Thanks. Is Lauer a type of medal or the name of the designer?

6. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Might be the company that makes them

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Lauer was a die-sinking establishment founded in 1729 that came into real prominence after its reconstruction in 1860 by Ludwig Christoph Lauer. The list of works produced by the firm just for the last 25 years of its existence is quite extensive and covers 10+ pages of fine print in the Forrer reference, Biographical Dictionary of Medallists.

Chris

lordmarcovan and sakata like this.
  8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Thanks cpm. I looked for that and it seems like it is not available to view online.

10. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Thanks Christian. That tells me it was minted in 1894 by Lauer. That's what I needed to know. Apparently it sold for 60 Euro last month. Not bad for something I got for free!

chrisild likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you're referring to the Forrer reference, it is an 8-volume compendium with more than 5,200 pages covering the period 500 BC - 1900 AD.

I purchased the set about 12 years ago online from Hedley Betts, www.medalsoftheworld.com. At that time, the set was $500. I believe it sells for about $600 now.

Chris

NOTE: I just checked the Betts site, and the Forrer set has been reduced to $400.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    sakata likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That was a nice unintentional cherrypick!

Draft saved Draft deleted