Best way to buy junk silver?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Chewmassa, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Chewmassa

Chewmassa Now where could my pipe be?

I found a thrift shop nearby that sells silver dimes and quarters at 15x face. Wondering how you all find junk silver for closer to spot price.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Silver fluctuates. Right now it's about 13x face. ($1.28 for a dime)
    As for the thrift shop, if you can cherry pick the dates and condition coins you want,
    it's not too bad. I haven't been there in a while but my gold/silver guy was at 14x face, but silver has come up a little since then.

Jason.A likes this.
  4. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

I agree with this post. Most silver will be around 12-13x face. This has also been the case for me at local coin shops, almost no matter what spot is between $17-$17.80 as it's been for the last couple weeks.

However, you if you sell back, it will probably be more like 11x face.

5. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Personally, I would try to pay at most 13 face for junk silver, and keep in mind when buying that dealers do not pay their melt value. Right now, silver has gone up a bit which affects the price. Personaly, I enjoy eBay auctions as deals can be found amongst the volume.

6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I buy junk silver from three places. Dealer 1 will sell to me slightly below melt but doesn't always have it. Dealer 2 sells to me $.50 to $1.00 over melt but always has it. My 3rd go to is Coin Roll Hunting Halves. So that would make my banks the dealers. All three sources have their pros and cons.

7. Sundance79

Sundance79 Active Member

I've been buying a lot of junk silver lately, mostly Walking Liberty halves. Been paying 13x over and sometimes a little less is I buy a lot. Most dealers I talk to are buying at 11x over. 15x over is no bargin but not bad. I've seen some selling for 16x and 17x over.

8. Chewmassa

Chewmassa Now where could my pipe be?

Found a coin shop that sells at 12.5x face value. Picked up some mercs and franklins :D Can't believe it since coinapps says the silver is in them is worth nearly 13x right now. Of course there is wear to factor in, but still.

Bman33 likes this.
  9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Awesome job. Under melt is Saul Goodman!

Draft saved Draft deleted