Best price for scrap gold??

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by stairstars, Jun 22, 2020.

1. stairstars

stairstars Well-Known Member

Hello,

How does one get the most for 14K gold without falling victim to the online hawks?

In particular, I have a 5.5 ounce gold medal where the spot gold price exceeds the value as a collectible. Is it possible to have it melted and purified to make it into a pure gold ingot? It should yield 3 ounces. What are the costs of that and assay? Or can one get close to spot somewhere?

Thanks.

rick

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Hmm I'm no expert in spot prices and all that stuff, so you might want to do research on prices for melting. Maybe try finding your local metal melting facility or something like that and they might be able to tell you their fee for melting. You could also sell the medal at spot price. It makes no sense that the spot price is BELOW the value of the collectible. It's like if you sold a one ounce silver mint coin for less than the price of an ounce of silver. If I were you, I would just sell it at spot price or a bit above.

stairstars likes this.
  4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Hang onto it and sit back until the price of gold goes up! It doesn't make sense to spend money on it, JMHO.

stairstars likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I've been collecting medals for 25 years or more. In silver medals alone, I have about 500 ounces. The spot price of silver has always been below the collectible value. It's the same for silver medals as it would be for most uncirculated silver coins. Would you expect to pay $15.00 or less for a 1904 Morgan dollar? If so, let me know the name of the dealer you use. I'll gladly buy every Morgan he has in stock.
    ~ Chris

stairstars likes this.
  6. Nolan Workman

Nolan Workman Well-Known Member

If your medal is marked 14k, a dealer will work from that, if not, a scratch test with acid should show karat value. If interested, there is a YouTube channel called sreetips; it shows the refining process of gold and silver.

stairstars and fretboard like this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Yes and will be crazy expensive and lose much more having it done

fretboard and stairstars like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yes it can but why spent the money? Just hold it until gold rises in price.

stairstars likes this.
  9. stairstars

Thanks, for your prompt replies. :happy:

In researching here in Atlanta, the melters deal only with the trade.
    My concern for skipping the scrappers are their margins are too greedy, from what I have read and seen with local TV coverage.

Yes, the medal is marked 14K and has been verified.

Curious, that a few of you said to hold it for higher gold value. Today spot is $1756, which is what makes it worth more for gold than collectors want to pay - what is the ceiling?

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If I knew the answer to that I'd be buying or selling, not holding.

stairstars likes this.
  11. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

>>“The spot price of silver has always been below the collectible value.”

They can be the same.
    The metal price can control the price of the collectible, especially when the metal is on its way up.

stairstars likes this.
  12. Nolan Workman

With your medal marked 14k, it is easily sold; if you don't need the money, hold it for a while as every market is volatile right now and demand for precious metals is up; that is why premiums are so high.

stairstars likes this.
  13. stairstars

Thanks, but when I do want to sell, do you have any recommendations where I can get at least 90% of spot?

14. Nolan Workman

You would get 100% of spot, minus the dealers premium and that is the pain. You have to check daily with a dealer, as the premium and spot constantly changes and decide how much you want to pay. Your cut would be spot, minus dealer premium. Recently, at my coin dealer, I saw a gentleman sell 370 oz. of silver and the dealer premium was $4 per oz. because of demand. The seller took it.

stairstars likes this.
  15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Maybe you could just list it for sale on this website in the For Sale forum, not saying it will sell but you never know! Sometimes when you're selling gold, you have to let the spot price go and settle for a profit that is $35-$50 over what you paid for it. It's happened to me quite a bit, so the way I see it is any profit, is a good profit!

stairstars likes this.
  16. stairstars

I agree, with most collectibles, but this is the first piece I have owned that the bullion aspect is present and outweighs the collector value. I do have it in a upcoming national auction, where the reserve is the bullion value. True, something is worth what you can get for it from collectors, but when that item can become 3 oz of solid gold, it enters another realm. One, like it sold in April, for $3800 whereas the spot gold price is over $5200.

I'm not that altruistic...;)

17. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

I meant it the other way. It makes no sense that the collectible/total value is lower than the spot price.

stairstars likes this.
  18. stairstars

I took it that way. For my medal, it is a recent occurrence, as there were two others sold in the last 20 years; the first did $5500 and the second $5300 - and that was when gold was much lower than it is now.
    A combination of a slower market and higher gold price.

toned_morgan likes this.
  19. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

stairstars likes this.
  20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

THUMBS UP!.png THUMBS UP!.png

Draft saved Draft deleted