Believe condor coin different dates

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jane mckenzie, Aug 13, 2017.

1. jane mckenzie

jane mckenzie New Member

Hi I believe I have a condor coin with 2 different dates on it can anyone give me any info about this thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This is a condor.

[​IMG]

Your piece is a Conder token. ;)

@daveydempsey identified it for you in the other thread on the Error Coins forum (it's not an error coin, BTW.)

As mentioned, it is an 18th century British provincial token, commonly referred to as a "Conder" token. The standard reference on these is the Dalton & Hamer book, The Provincial Token Coinage of the 18th Century.

It is digitized and available online, though the electronic "flip book" format leaves a little bit to be desired. Still, here it is, and it appears you can download a PDF of the book, as well. It is a rather old book (1910!), so more than a century old in its own right. But this, like many of the classic numismatic reference books, is timeless.

You will often see these referenced by "D&H" numbers. That's Dalton & Hamer.

spirityoda, Jasanche and imrich like this.
  4. jane mckenzie

jane mckenzie New Member

sorry conder as you can see I am new to this.It was identified in other post which I am grateful for but was suggested I post on here.Wondered why was different dates on same coin I will have a look in book you have suggested thank you

5. lordmarcovan

Yes, this is the right forum to post such things.

Your images are rather hard to see because they are thumbnail sized, and even when one clicks on the thumbnails to see the full size images, they aren't cropped properly, so there is a bunch of white space. I can see the coin (barely), but can't tell you much from the details on it.

Edit- oh, wait - I see there is an even larger size. Let's see if I can fix your pictures to make them easier to look at... :brb:

6. lordmarcovan

I'm not sure why the two different dates. (I didn't look it up in the D&H book I linked to.) Some pieces did have two dates. One was often the original date of something that was being commemorated on the token, while the second was the date the token itself was struck.

JaneMcKenzieConder-obv.png JaneMcKenzieConder-rev.png

Theodosius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted