Duke of York half penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jane mckenzie, Aug 13, 2017.

1. jane mckenzie

jane mckenzie New Member

While looking threw coins came across duke of york half penny dated 1795 on head side flip side is of britannia dated 1700 1st thought was 2 coins joined but very thin for this and no seam have noticed threw google a london museum has similar has anyone ever heard of this still thinking may be two joined

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk, Jane. I believe the coin you posted is what is called a
    "Conder Token". And although it is styled like it. That is not really "Britannia" on the reverse.There is multiple combinations of Obverse and Reverse on these coins.
    I am not well versed with these. But here is a site that shows some.
    http://www.wnccoins.com/0029.htm
    Hope someone with more info will post in for you.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Looks like a Conder Token from the 1790's. I no longer have my reference book so I can't offer much more.

You should post this in the World Coin Forum instead of errors. I know there are some members that frequent that board who collect these

alurid likes this.
  5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

7. jane mckenzie

jane mckenzie New Member

Thank you for getting back to me I will have a look at all the links you have been very informative.Will post on world coins and see if any further info regarding 2 different dates

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

As mentioned, it is an 18th century British provincial token, commonly referred to as a "Conder" token. The standard reference on these is the Dalton & Hamer book, The Provincial Token Coinage of the 18th Century.

It is digitized and available online, though the electronic "flip book" format leaves a little bit to be desired. Still, here it is, and it appears you can download a PDF of the book, as well. It is a rather old book (1910!), so more than a century old in its own right. But this, like many of the classic numismatic reference books, is timeless.

You will often see these referenced by "D&H" numbers. That's Dalton & Hamer.

daveydempsey likes this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Conder token, Middlesex D&H 991, part of the "national series". The reverse die is actually dated 1790 and was engraved by John G Hancock of Birmingham. It was originally used to produce tokens for Charles Roe of Maccelsfield in the county of Cheshire. The obverse die was used to produce 7 die varieties in Middlesex. Two as part of the Masonic Series and five in the "national series" I do not know who engraved the obv die, but all of the Middlesex pieces are what are known as general circulation pieces (They don't identify a specific merchant and were sold to anyone. They could be issued anonymously so the merchant would never have to redeem them.) and were probably made by Peter Skidmore. Skidmore made his own tokens but he also bought up dies form token makers getting out of the business and then would create mules for general circulation, or to sell to collectors. Collecting the tokens was quite the craze in the 1790's. The Middlesex 991 is considered to be a common variety. I don't have a 991, but I do have a 992 that has the same obverse and a similar reverse dated 1794.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    daveydempsey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted