Belgium (Brabant): gold florin (Carolus d’or) of Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, ca. 1521-1545

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 13, 2016.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Belgium (Brabant): gold florin (Carolus d’or) of Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, ca. 1521-1545

[​IMG]

Obverse: KAROLVS.D.G.ROM.IMP.E.HISPAN.REX, crowned half-bust, sword in right hand, globus cruciger in left.

Reverse: DA.M[ICHI].VIRTVT[EM].CONTRA.HOSTES.TVOS, arms of Austria and Castile-León with double-headed eagle above.
    Translation of reverse legend: “Give me strength against thine enemies”.

Delmonte-101, gold, 23 mm. Ex-Numiscorner (Comptoir des Monnaies, France), through VCoins store, 11/18/2016.

This is a handsome piece of Renaissance-era hammered gold. Though in moderate circulated grade, it exhibits attractive, contrasting toning and an interesting design. It was struck at Antwerp (Anvers) in the duchy of Brabant (now part of modern-day Belgium), under the authority of Charles V of the Habsburg dynasty. Charles V was Holy Roman Emperor and thereby ruler of a huge portion of Europe as well as the Spanish Empire and its overseas colonies in the Americas and Asia. His domains were the first to be described as "an empire on which the sun never sets", a phrase which was later used to describe the British empire in the 19th century.

Miscellaneous links:
    Original seller page

Wikipedia links:

Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor
    Holy Roman Empire
    Florin
    Duchy of Brabant
    Antwerp (in the 16th century)
    Globus cruciger

Flag of Castile and León

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

wcg, 01mikep, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

Charles I of Spain and V of Germany was Philip II father. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_II_of_Spain
    The phrase "an empire on which the sun never sets" is more appropiate to Philip II reign, but still the sun was switched on always :happy: Nice coin!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Nice coin!

I like the obverse design especially, King Charles presenting a choice of his religion or the sword.

:)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

great coin....Lordmarcovan:)! Wonderfull photo/writeup....

John

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted