Beautiful stocks and bonds

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by gsalexan, Mar 20, 2011.

1. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Good looking stock, just recently got into them myself. And since we're sharing let me show one of mine

Scan10002.jpg

Scan10003.jpg

I know the title but have yet to find any resources on this.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Picked up some new railroad and trolley stocks, so I thought it was a good time to revive this thread. Anyone else collect stocks and bonds?

Attached Files:

4. gsalexan

Made a nice pick-up today -- a 1921 stock from Wolverine Copper Mining Co. in my home state of Michigan. This was, no doubt, located in the copper mining region of the upper peninsula. The vignette shows the miners hard at work with modern pneumatic drills. I have other stocks that show miners with pick-axes and headlamps with candles.

Attached Files:

old49er likes this.
  5. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I picked up a bearer certificate warrant a while back...

OPRCA Front.jpg OPRCA Back.jpg

Still trying to find three to see if I can redeem the blasted thing.

6. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Where can one acquire old stock certificates in good condition? This is one area id love to collect

7. gsalexan

Interesting! I've seen bearer bonds, but never something like this. There are companies that will do a trace on live certificates, but often the cost is more than the value they discover.

Squaredeal, there are all kinds of stocks and bonds available on Ebay, many for under $5. Do a search for "railroad stock" and see what comes up. There are also many dealers. I like Clinton Hollins, who has been around forever. He also has some of the best retail prices. http://www.clintonhollins.com/. But if you Google "scripophily" (that's the technical term for the hobby) you'll turn up others.

8. vam78

vam78 Firefighter/Numismatist

I have always been interested in stock and bonds, and I have been meaning to buy some certificates. Do you have some for sale? If so, please PM me. Thanks!

9. NorthKorea

I know exactly which company acquired the shares, and they told me to go through the channels stated on the back of the certificate, which is why I view it as a crapshoot, even if I get the other warrants.

10. gsalexan

I just tried to PM you, but wasn't able to. The message said "vam78 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages." If you can fix this, I'll try again.

11. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

GS - I admit I am a potential huge sucker for the wonderful engraving on stocks, what is the price of entry to collecting? I'd be going for design and elegance, not so much rarity or anything... I just love the look of those old stock notes, the engraving attracts me just like currency does.

12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I'm one who really appreciates good engraving and intricate detail on currency. I have been spending more on paper and less on coinage as time goes on. Coins are starting to look rather plain to me, especially the modern circulation and commemorative strikes. If I buy, it usually a proof item because of it's cameo and contrast. I have a few old stock certificates, and some vignettes made off the old Spider Presses, I thought looked nice. I do most of my buying at shows because I can see and inspect the items in hand. Unfortunately you just don't see much in stock and bond certificates there.

13. gsalexan

MEC, just to give you an example of superbly engraved stocks that are inexpensive, below are a few ebay links (I have no connection to these dealers, btw). There are *many* eye-catching stocks and bonds that can be picked up for under $10 and sometimes under $5. We both share the same philosophy -- the engraver's art is more important than high market value. To that end, I like unissued certificates as much as issued ones. They are often much cheaper, in better condition, and easier to find, because there was usually a stockpile of leftovers when a company went belly up. Veteran collectors usually prefer issued certs. That's fine -- but I'm able to pick up more varieties on a budget.

There used to be a terrific show in Strasburg, PA that was devoted primarily to stocks and bonds, but I think that one went under. I believe there's one in Virginia near DC that's supposed to be good. I've found that the Memphis Int'l Paper Money Show usually has a pretty fair turnout of stock/bond dealers. I live in the Northwest which is pretty dry for this kind of material, so I mostly order things online.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNITED-STAT...673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6f4b3889

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-10-Different-Railroad-Stock-Certificates-Pennsylvania-Erie-N-Y-Central-/251277357925?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a814c3365

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Illinois-Power-Light-Corporation-Stock-Certificate-/251080773533?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a75948f9d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMERICAN-TELEPHONE-TELEGRAPH-COMPANY-1956-STOCK-/140981135524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d32168a4

There are literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of tempting certificates out there under $20. Pace yourself. ;-)

14. NorthKorea

There's a nice Stock with warrant attached on eBay right now. It's a common and defunct company, but having the warrant seems (to me) to be rare:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111081583148

I'm thinking of buying it myself, but I figured that VAM could use a nice starter.

15. petronius

petronius Duke

Excellent thread :thumb:

It's a shame that I found out just now ... but there is still time to remedy :D

First of all...Italy, of course

ferrovie trieste2.jpg

Than, the Brazil Railway

brazil railway.jpg

And last (but not least) USA

saint joseph western railroad.jpg

petronius :smile

16. petronius

petronius Duke

USA, again :rolleyes:

grand central1.jpg grand central2.jpg

homestake mining.jpg homestake vignetta.jpg

It's all for the moment...see you tomorrow :cool:

17. gsalexan

I have both of the last two you posted and I particularly like the vignette on Homestead Mining. It's called "Progress" and was engraved in 1872 by James Smillie for American Bank Note.

18. gsalexan

Here's another example of an unissued stock that's very affordable. And an interesting product -- I'm guessing they produced rubber for early automobile tires.

Attached Files:

19. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Well you suckered me in on this and I put the opening bid on it. I never heard of the warrant attachment, so one would be nice to have for my collection.. (kidding of course on the sucker comment.) I have a lot of first day covers from historic locations which also have some impressive or high quality artwork on the envelopes; not to mention the stamps. Somewhere underneath all these items, is a common thread that links them together. Not just the name Exonumia. Probably the engraving aspect.

20. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Nice stocks and bonds. Here is a bit of advice to the new collectors. Its ok to jump right in, but take it easy and start small. Stocks and bonds are just like paper money, there are millions of them out there. Take a look around first and decide on what you want to focus on.

And most important of all, don't buy anything on ebay for the next day or two. I'm looking for a few things. :devil:

gsalexan likes this.
  21. petronius

petronius Duke

A railway Company in French-Indochine (now Vietnam)

chemindefercolonies.jpg

A railway Company in Italy, from Rome to Viterbo

roma-viterbo.jpg

A mining Company, from Michigan.

The Calumet & Hecla Mining Company was formed for the exploitation of the most important copper mine in US, in Calumet, Michigan. Established in 1865, the Company between 1867 and 1884 gave half of copper produced in US, between 1889 and 1900, well paid dividends of $ 57 million, a bargain for shareholders.
    In 1902 the mine had 5,000 workers from all over the world: Italians, Poles, Swedes, Irish. For them, the Company built house, schools, libraries, a hospital.

The Calumet & Hecla stopped in 1968.

calumet & hecla.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted