Basketball Gold Coin Coming in June?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by fretboard, May 23, 2020.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I'm sure you've all heard about the Basketball Coins that the US Mint is to release in June! The 1/4 ounce Gold Coin is currently listed for $664.50. You think that will be the real price or will it go up? You think the coins will be released for sale in June 2020 or will we still have to wait due to Covid-19? :( I've seen plenty of 2020 gold coins but I'm thinking those were probably minted before all this Corona business! :D Are there any coins that are gonna have a small mintage number due to Corona?? Anyone know?

https://catalog.usmint.gov/basketba...old-coin-20CA.html?cgid=2020-product-schedule
    bballa_a.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm still sore that they missed the opportunity to make the 50-cent commem look like a net, complete with clad fragments dangling down from the rim, and big enough to toss the gold through.

No, that's not actually true. I'm still completely uninterested in another set of overpriced coins lauding sportsball.

4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Doesn't the mint have to pay royalties to the NBA for this?

5. Inspector43

The ball looks too big for the net.

6. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Answers (in order):

A. The coins will be minted and sold in 2020 as planned.
    B. The coins benefit the basketball Hall of Fame, not the NBA
    C. The ball isn't too big, but objects may appear closer than they appear in a convex planchet.

Happy to help. All in fun. Don't want one.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The Mint can list this coin at $1.99 and I’ll still let them keep it. What a piece of garbage.

KeviniswhoIam and Inspector43 like this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Likely more from the bad design they picked.

9. Inspector43

Love it !

10. fretboard

When the US Mint had their Baseball Coins for sale I bought a couple but I ended up trading both of them for gold. Nothing special but my point is the novelty wore off super quickly so I won't buy the B-Ball coin at all, definitely not for that crazy price! And take a look at the price for a Gold Buffalo, $2415, damn that's a lot of money! :D

https://catalog.usmint.gov/american...2385.1590285523-1006496612.1587003261&start=1

11. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

The US Mint changes the price of all precious metal coins on a weekly basis. They have a price grid and the cost of a coin goes up & down according to the price of the metal. I'm not sure of what issues are being released on the date stated on their site as some of the dates were cancelled and new dates have not been determined.
    The End of WWII Gold coin has a very low mintage of 1,945. Good luck trying to get one when they go on sale. (The low mintage has nothing to do with Covid-19).

12. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I'll buy one for me and one for the kid.

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I bought the baseball coin. I love baseball. Look where that is and how it's doing. This coin will do the same. I'm just not interested.

14. fretboard

Yep, I thought as much! :D

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

We're being poked in the burro by the mint on this one. The silver and clad as well. I'll bite it for the silver and clad, but I refuse to be had, regarding the gold piece. I'm truly disappointed in the mint. I let a lot go by, but I'm really being 'had' biblically with this offering...........

16. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

17. fretboard

Go for it, sale starts tomorrow! I'm sure there's a bunch of collectors who would want it, just not too many here! :D

Collecting Nut likes this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'm one of them. This will be worse than the baseball coin.

19. -jeffB

I don't remember much about the baseball coin release, except that it did spike right after the release. What exactly do you mean by "worse"?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  20. -jeffB

$644.50 for a $5 gold commem? And I thought the Apollo surcharges were ridiculous. Wonder how many people will be trying to buy it for the flip?

21. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Browsing the mint's web page, I found this interesting

Composition: 90% Gold, 6% Silver, Balance Copper

So it's not .9999 - did this have something to do with the odd shape requiring a different alloy or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Draft saved Draft deleted