Barber coinage as bullion?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by CoinKeeper, Nov 6, 2010.

1. CoinKeeper

CoinKeeper Keeper of Coins

Have any of you had any luck finding barber coins at bullion prices? It would be really neat to have lots of older coins as silver bullion vs. bars or modern bullion pieces. Have you guys had any luck?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bryan1234

bryan1234 Junior Member

I been getting them at around spot since when it was 18 an oz, i just rescently sold most of my barbers at a little over spot and kept the better dates rolls. I'm still 6 away from completing the whole set

Check out fee bay, escpically late night auctions in the middle of the week you can usually get some at below spot

4. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

Well ,now's your opportunity for that type of investment. Like Bryan said, you can hit ebay at the right times, and snag a few deals. The lower grade Barbers have been well above spot when silver was below $20, but I doubt they will do it again anytime soon.

5. bryan1234

bryan1234 Junior Member

One thing i dont like about barbers, is that when im buying for silver value i feel like im getting ripped off. The thing i like about barbers is the key dates are cheaper then other series for

6. quartertapper

Waht makes you feel you are getting ripped off? I look at it like this:
    If silver tanks to say $12 in a few years, I think that common grade barbers will do much better numismatically than any 1960s 90% silver. Although, it may change who you will be selling your Barbers to, if you decide to cash in.

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Quarter:
    He means that the coins are well worn and therefore you get less silver for the $.

As far as getting then for junk silver, I have been doing it for years, and have accumulated a bunch.

I have even found some better dates in the junk silver and better grades, like VG's and the occasional Fine.

8. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

I get them for bullion all the time. If they're in the bucket I have no trouble taking them.
    Last month I pulled 27
    23 dimes
    3 quarters
    1 half

I got some nice keys for the dimes tho
    1903 S (worth $69 in G)
    1913 S

have fun picking

9. bryan1234

bryan1234 Junior Member

Yep exactly what i meant, if you weigh a barber half and compare it to a franklin you will see the difference. When you put a full roll of each next to each other you see the difference

10. quartertapper

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I guess you have to bid accordingly then, but I don't think a lot of people take that into consideration when bidding on ebay. So, now you know where to pawn them off, when you are ready to cash in!!!

11. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

some of that stuff is worth little over melt

12. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

I was wondering how much lighter a Good Condition Barber Half weighs say than say a 1960 Franklin that was pulled from circulation.

I did some research on how much silver older 90% silver coins lose from circulation.
    This is what I found.

When newly minted, a bag ($1000 face) of 90% junk U.S. silver coins contains 723 ounces of silver.

For more recent dates (1950 and later):
    A worn smelted bag of dimes or quarters will net about 715 ounces (about a 1% loss)
    A worn smelted bag of half-dollars will net a little more, between 718-720 ounces (about a 0.5% to 0.7% loss) because half-dollars did not circulate as much as dimes and quarters.

Although I could not find any hard references, I am guessing that for very old coins, like well worn (G+) Barber coins,
    I would estimate that the silver loss is perhaps 2x to 3x more than above

If that estimate is correct ...
    A worn smelted bag of Barber dimes or quarters will net about 700 ounces about a 3% loss.

A worn smelted bag of Barber half-dollars will net about 708 ounces about a 2% loss.

I am getting some old barber junk coins (to be delivered next week) and will do some actual weight tests and post results.
    I wonder how close my estimate above is going to be -- or if i am too high and the loss is actually greater.

The other thing I was wondering is where does the lost silver go? On our hands? In tills?
    That's a lot of silver dust floating around.

Draft saved Draft deleted