Bactrian beauty: An obol of Eukratides I

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

I won this coin some months ago as part of a group lot (see my earlier thread at https://www.cointalk.com/threads/a-group-lot-from-cng-worth-it.305393/ ) and finally got around to posting it individually:
    Bactria Eukratides I obol.jpg
    Bactria. AR obol. Eukratides I (171-c.145 BC). Obverse: Helmeted bust right. Reverse: Caps of the Dioscuri and two palm branches, monogram below, Greek inscription Basilews Eukratidou (Of the King Eukratides) to either side. Sear Greek Coins 7578. This coin: Classical Numismatic Group, Auction 408, lot 811 (part of group lot).

Bactria was a territory containing land in what is now Uzbekistan, Afghanistan, and Tajikistan. The area was conquered by Alexander the Great, and it devolved on his Seleucid successors before breaking away and calving its own line of secessionist Indo-Greek kingdoms. Eukratides I became king of Bactria in 171 BC by overthrowing his predecessor, Euthydemus I, although it is unclear if Eukratides was a disgruntled Bactrian army officer or if he was a relative of the Seleucid king Antiochus IV who headed to the Wild East to try and reclaim lost Seleucid territory. (The start date of Eukratides' reign is set at 171 BC because of a historical mention by Justin that Eukratides of Bactria took power at the same time as Mithradates I of Parthia. If you've read anything about the difficulties in our understanding of Parthian history, you realize how insane it sounds to use Parthian history as a fixed point for dating other events.) Eukratides would go on to have military success against his Indo-Greek neighbors, but he lost some of his western territory, including the city of Herat (in modern Afghanistan) to Mithradates I of Parthia. He is considered one of the most important Bactrian kings, and he issued a large amount of coinage. This beautiful little obol looks even better in hand than it does in my photo, and I am very happy to have it in my collection. Post your Bactrians, Indo-Greeks, or obols.

Ajax, Nathan401, Jwt708 and 22 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

I bought one of these, too, on an auction some months ago. They had a number of smaller Bactrian coins that were not too expensive. Naturally I should go for the beautiful large tetradrachms, but they are a bit over my limits (= I rarely buy coins over $500).
    Obv. Helmeted head t.r. Rev. Palms and pilei of the Dioskouroi. 10.3 mm, 0.61 gr. MACW 1722. Hoover 139 (S). Zeno 25665.

5521 Obol Eukratides 340.jpg

4. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Very nice I like these and they have great detail for such a small coin.
    g246.jpg
    Eukratides I
    170 to 145 BC
    Bactria Mint
    AR Obol
    Obvs: Diademed helmeted and draped right.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ EYKPATOΔOY, Dioscuri caps with palms above. Monogrambelow
    10x11mm, 0.70g
    SNG ANS 496, Sear 7578

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

That is a gorgeous coin @Parthicus ! WOW, well done!

I enjoy the smaller denominations / fractionals as the large Tets were used for major commerce trade, and the smaller denominations were probably used by the local populace

BAKTRIA:

Big Commerce Trade:
    upload_2018-7-15_13-3-57.png
    Indo-Greek Baktria Menander I Soter BCE 155-130 AR Tet 26mm 9.6g Diad - Athena Alkidemos tbolt Gorgon shield SNG ANS 764-767

Everyday Commerce (Same time as you obol!):
    Baktria Greco-Baktrian Kingdom Eukratides I Megas 170-145 BCE Dioscuri AE Quadruple Unit.JPG
    Baktria Greco-Baktrian Kingdom Eukratides I Megas 170-145 BCE Dioscuri AE Quadruple Unit

Everyday Trade (Six of your obols...):
    Baktria Apollodotos I 180-160 BCE Square AR Drachm 20mm 2.4g Elephant Zebu SNG ANS 324-327.JPG
    Baktria Apollodotos I 180-160 BCE Square AR Drachm 20mm 2.4g Elephant Zebu SNG ANS 324-327

INDO-GREEKS:

upload_2018-7-15_13-13-54.png
    Sogdiana - Hyrcodes 3rd-4thCE AR Scyphate Obol or Reduced Drachm 12mm 0.56g Bukhara mint Male-Deity BMC Baktria p118

upload_2018-7-15_13-15-30.png
    INDO-GREEK KINGDOM Zoilos II Circa 50-40 BCE AR drachm 17mm 2.3g Athena Alkidemos l monograms probly with Antony at the Battle of Actium SNG ANS 1654-1658

OBOLS:
    Got bunches... love that denomination as I stated before: fractionals were the coins used everyday by the local populations.

6. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Very cool coin @Parthicus I really love the bust of Eukratides. As you said, he issued some great coins and I would love to obtain a tetradrachm of his at some point. I have only one Indo-Greek coin in my collection, a drachm of Menander I Soter.
    Menander I Soter .jpg
    Menander I Soter AR Drachm 155-130 BC Uncertain mint.
    18mm 2.46g
    Obv: Diademed bust of king left, seen from behind, holding spear in thrust position in right hand, aegis on left shoulder, Greek legend around: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΣΩTHPOΣ // MENANΔPOY
    Reverse Athena Alkidemos standing left, holding sloping shield on outstretched left arm, hurling thunderbolt with right hand, monogram at right, Kharoshthi legend around
    Bopearachchi 7A

Nathan401, Jwt708, Deacon Ray and 9 others like this.
  7. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Similar Obol, but issued under Demetrios:
    DemetriosObol2wb.jpg

And Antimachos: AntimachosIObolWeb.jpg

8. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Found this tetradrachm at one of the FUN shows last year. I had to borrow a check from my wife because I came to the show with only a couple left in my checkbook.

Bactria Eucradides I Tet 1Ma.jpg

(This is the first picture I am posting from cloud storage using my phone!)

John

9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

That's a sweet little OP obol!

I have this AE of Eukratides I like Alegandron's, but it is pretty worn/weakly struck. It's a little better in hand, but not much.

100_5217.JPG

INDO-GREEK AE unit, Eukratides I, 2nd Century BC

O: Helmeted bust of king right, Greek legend around on three sides: BAΣIΛEΩΣ / MEΓAΛOY / EYKPATIΔOY, R: Dioscuri on horseback right, Kharoshthi legend above and below. 21 mm, 9.5 g.

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Bactria Obv 2.JPG
    Bactria Rev 1.JPG
    BACTRIA, Indo-Greek Kings
    Demetrios I --- Merv Mint
    AR Tetradrachm
    190 – 171 B.C.

16.64 grams, 33 mm
    Obv: Draped bust facing right
    wearing elephant headdress
    Rev: BAΣIΛΕΩΣ / ΔHMHTPIOY
    Nude Herakles standing,
    crowning himself, holding club
    and lion skin; monogram. Grade: Happy VF with honest wear
    Other: MIG 103c; Bopearachchi 5F.
    Classical Numismatic Auction XXI (by CNG) lot 187 June 26, 1992. Purportedly from Goldgerg Coins. From Eye Appealing Coins 11/2017.

A little provenance from 25 years ago: Bactria Auction.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    zumbly, Nathan401, Jwt708 and 7 others like this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coins all! Of course I'd love to get this one into my collection (ha-ha!)

euc.jpg

Theodosius, Parthicus and Bing like this.
  12. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Bactrians are great. Some of the best coins ever made... Naturally, I would want a large Eukratides, one of those portraits that are a bit like your father or your neigbour. But these being too expensive, I'm very happy with this drachm of Antialkidas, who looks like my father-in-law with a strange helmet.

5501 Antialkidas.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted