A group lot from CNG: Worth it?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

I recently decided to take a chance and bid on a group lot in a CNG auction. Here's the photo and description from the sale (CNG Auction 408, lot 811):
    4080811.jpg
    MIXED. Greek to Central Asian. Lot of fourteen (14) AR and Æ denominations. Includes: A broad range of eastern, mostly Parthian types (8 coins), but a couple of Shahpur I Æ issues included. Lot includes an AR obol of Eukratides I and an AR drachm of Ardaxšīr (Ardashir) III, as well as a Gandhara issue. Lot also includes an Æ of Mithradates I Kallinikos of Commagene. Coins Fair to VF, some roughness. Commagene coin ex CNG E-294, lot 201. LOT SOLD AS IS, NO RETURNS. Fourteen (14) coins in lot.

The estimate was $200, and I won with a final bid of $320. The main coins driving my interest were the Ardashir III drachm, the Eukratides obol, and one of the Parthian coins visible in the photo. So, how did I do? Here's photos of all 14 coins, with my preliminary IDs and impressions.
    Large Lot obverses.jpg
    Large Lot reverses.jpg

1. Sasanian, Ardashir III (628-630), AR drachm. Year 2, mintmark seems to be AY (Airan-Khurra-Shahpur or Susa). Decent late Sasanian silver.
    2. and 3. Sasanian, Shahpur I, AE. The larger coin has rather porous surfaces, but I quite like the smaller coin.
    4. Parthian, Mithradates II. Reverse shows a horse, a very popular Parthian bronze type. Slightly rough surfaces, but decent for Parthian bronze.
    5. Gandharan. I know basically nothing about this coin, but it looks cool, I will have to do some research.
    6. Parthian, Artabanos II (or the similar Artabanos II or Gotarzes II). I've seen that reverse type before but can't remember what it is.
    7. Parthian, Phraates IV, horse.
    8. Parthian, looks like Phraates II. A scarcer early Parthian bronze.
    9. Bactria, Eukratides I, AR obol. A beautiful little gem of a coin, clearly a highlight of the lot.
    10. Commagene, Mithradates I Kallinikos. I looked up its previous appearance in a CNG sale, and at that time it looked like this:
    2940201.jpg
    It is clearly the same coin, but something bad has happened to it since then, perhaps an ill-advised attempt at cleaning. The surface is definitely more porous than it was in the old photograph, and much of the reverse detail is missing. In its previous sale, it sold for $130 (!), but in its current appearance, I would never have bought it alone.
    11. Parthian, Phraates II. The green stuff seems to be solid encrustation, not bronze disease. A rather ugly coin.
    12. and 13. Parthian, with Tyche on the reverse. Bronzes of this type were issued by several kings, it may be tough to attribute these to a specific ruler. As usual, these types show evidence of the blanks being cast in a strip.
    14. Parthian, Phraates III, horse reverse with Mithradatkart mintmark. This obverse type, Sellwood 38, is one of my favorite Parthian designs (see my avatar) and this is a nice bronze example.

So, how did I do? I'd estimate the combined retail value of these coins to be higher than what I paid, so on that basis it's a win but not the steal of the century. There are only two coins (#10 and 11) out of 14 that I find ugly and not worth owning, the rest are mostly bread-and-butter decent coins with a few real winners. Based on this experience, I would consider bidding on future CNG large lots if I can make out a few nice target coins in the photographs.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

I like the Eukratides and the Parthian horse bronzes. I probably would have bailed out from bidding at a lower price, but what matters is that you like the lot !

Number 5 looks like a "Kashmir Smast" Sassanian style coin. But the details are a little bit to small to be sure.

randygeki likes this.
  4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Your no. 1, 4, 5 and 9 are my favorites of the group. I think what you paid a fair price for those four together and the rest are just gravy :). I personally like the obol the best.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I like #9

Svarog likes this.
  6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

What a fine lot that is. I am glad you shared - something about a lot of ancients that I really like. There are some real beauties here, 1, 4 and 9 in particular, but the others are quite interesting.

7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

1 and 9 in particular are very nice. Good value for the money.

8. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Number 9 alone is worth 1/2 of what you paid. I know less about Parthian bronzes so I'm not sure on those. Here is my obol
    g246.jpg Eukratides I
    170 to 145 BC
    Bactria Mint
    AR Obol
    Obvs: Diademed helmeted and draped right.
    Revs: BAΣIΛEΩΣ EYKPATOΔOY, Dioscuri caps with palms above. Monogram below
    10x11mm, 0.70g
    SNG ANS 496, Sear 7578

9. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Ohhhh that # 9 is really Nice!

Thanks,
    Jacob

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted