Axum Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by LostDutchman, Feb 12, 2015.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

This little group walked into the coin shop today.

Africa, Ethiopia
    Kingdom of Axum (600-631 AD)
    King Armah (Ashama Ibn Abjar)
    Gold Guilt AE Unit 20.8 mm x 1.75 grams

IMG_0353.JPG IMG_0355.JPG

I've got some others that I can't figure out... I'll post them here in a bit.

stevex6, Eng, chrsmat71 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Here is the rest of the group.

IMG_0357.JPG IMG_0361.JPG

stevex6, Eng, chrsmat71 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

LostDutchman likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice group. I just have one.

[​IMG]
    Kings of Axum
    Anonymous
    AD 400-500
    AE 14
    O: BAC + ACA, Crowned bust right, holding cross-tipped scepter
    R: +TOV TO APECH TH XWPA, Greek Cross; central punch-hole inlaid in gold, Inscription "May this (cross) please the country."
    Munro-Hay 76, BMC Aksumite 316
    0.75g

One of the most curious aspects of Axumite coinage is the use of gilding on some of the silver and bronze coins. The amount of gold used would not be enough to significantly change the value of the coin, and the reason for this labor-intensive process remains somewhat a mystery. It is usually found highlighting the portrait of the king or as embellishment of the cross, so it may serve the same purpose as gold tesserae in church mosaics and gold leaf on manuscripts--to reflect the Divine Light shining on the monarch and the church.

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Cool coin , and an impressive history they had . According to Wikipedia they ruled the area for around 1400 years .

LostDutchman likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Upper left and lower right are the common and gold free anonymous type just inscribed 'king'. I believe this is one of the earliest Christian types so you see it associated with King Ezana (first Christian ruler anywhere since he was baptized before Constantine). I think UR is Kaleb & Successors 520-540 AD but it seems to match Mat's coin so I may be off here.

rzage and LostDutchman like this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

those axum coins are fantastic, these guys were ahead of their time...by a bunch. wikipedia says the oldest bi-metallic coins date to the 17th century. do these coin as bimetallic coins? is it a gold chunk or just a little gilded area, like silvering on roman coins? or does that count as well?

rzage likes this.
  9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'd call it bi-metallic . Heck one coin and two metals seems to fit the definition to me .

Draft saved Draft deleted