Ethiopia, Kingdom of Axum, Armah, AE 20 c. 600-640 AD

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Well I have been shopping around for Coins of the "Other Guys" from Antiquity. In the past I have read about the Kingdom of Axum. I found the civilization obscure and unique. :hail:

The kingdom of Axum in a nutshell was an isolated and independent Christian kingdom in what is now Ethiopia and Eritrea that survived from the 1st century AD to approx. the 9th century AD. They existed on equal footing with the the empires of the day. Rome, Persia and China. At some point they conquered the Himyarite Confederacy, in what is now Yemen, and absorbed the Sabean culture. They maintained strong ties with the Byzantine Empire until ultimately being cut off from trade by the Arab conquests of the surrounding area, and Axum fell into decline. The Kingdom of Axum is the proposed home of the Ark of the Covenant and the legendary home of the Queen of Sheba. The Axumite Monarchy was established based on a genealogical relationship with the King Solomon of Judea and the Queen of Sheba.

I took the plunge on this coin not really knowing alot about it. The seller was remarkably knowledgeable and had a vast array of coins from all cultures. I expressed interest in this specimen and he was able to provide me some information. He showed me the same coin attributed in the British Museum Collection. He assured me the one that I had was of superb condition. Of course I would try and look around and find something similiar and hopefully cheaper. Nope. Not in this case. I found only coins in much lesser condition selling for hundreds above what he offered to sell this to me for.

After comparing the image with that of the BMC I was immediately impressed. This King is one of the last Kings of Axum to mint coins and only did so in bronze and silver. The portrait of this king is remarkable and would likely be difficult to find a better example.:eek:

As I dont know alot about this type of coinage or the history that surrounds them. I would be more then happy if some one could share some more info on this coin or this ruler or even this type of coinage. I would love you guys who might have similar coins. I would like to know also what you guys would value this specimen at. I have already purchased the coin, I just like to know that I did well. :D

King Armah's coin in the BMC.

Kings of Axum, Armah AE20. Circa 600-640 AD. King Armah (in Ge'ez), king enthroned right, holding cross scepter; three pellets to right / Let There be Joy to the People (in Ge'ez), voided cross in wreath; gilt center. Munro-Hay 153; BMC Aksum 589.

My coin is 2.60g x 20mm
    Bronze with Gold Gilt

The top photo is my coin the bottom photo is that of the British Museum.

Attached Files:

TheTrainer likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

That is a pretty nice one as these usually come. I am guessing it cost you every bit of $100, and I am cheap. So, I would not be surprised if more, and really $200 would not surprise me at all. Very nice coin.

Axum is very interesting. First Christian empire, and from an area very few pay attention to. Munro-Hay did two major references for them, one just Axumite Coinage, the other the BM holdings of Axum. Of the two I prefer Axumite Coinage.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coin, I like it better then mine, lol. Great details on the obverse.

Mine:
    [​IMG]
    Kings of Axum (Aksum)
    Anonymous
    AD 400-500
    AE 14, 0.75 grams
    O: Crowned bust right, holding cross-tipped scepter
    R: Greek Cross; central punch-hole inlaid in gold, Inscription "May this (cross) please the country."
    Munro-Hay 76, BMC Aksumite 316

5. Ancientnoob

I would love to know more! Such an exotic civilization....

*cough* $210 *cough*

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

One little clarification, Axum was not home to the Queen of Sheba. Her real title was Queen of Sabea, which is in modern day Yemen. They later said her bloodline crossed into Axum, in modern day Ethiopia/Eritrea.

However, there is an ancient sect of Jews there, that is why they thought the ark may have been smuggled there before the Babylonians sacked Jerusalem. There is actually a main temple that to this day no one save the high priest may enter. It would be here that the ark resides, if it is in Ethiopia.

Also, the branch of Christianity that the Axumites practiced was different than most other sects, since they were converted by a different apostle, much like the eastern christians were. The differences, however, have mainly been lost through "missionary" work from Europe over the centuries.

Thoroughly interesting culture and history to read for those so inclined. The Axumite Coinage book is a pretty good read, besides being a coin reference.

Chris

7. Ancientnoob

I was impressed anyone even had one of these. From what I gather they are pretty rare.
    I do like yours and it is much better then most I have seen. Most have like no details and a small amount of the gilt remaining. I do like the bust style on yours.

One of the main reasons I pulled the trigger on this coin, was for the obverse. I could clearly see the kings face and I think thats neat. You dont see that everyday.

8. Ancientnoob

I really would also like to know more about denominations. I wonder what kind of system they used. Any thoughts.

I'm snowed in so I down to do some "coining"

9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I know i've said this elsewhere....BUT THAT COIN IS AWESOME!

Had to say it again! :smile

Glad to see your Mat, that one is pretty darn nice.

10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great history lesson, thank you. And to be able to say your specimen is better than the one in the British Museum, well, that's a lot of icing on the cake!

11. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I like those coins. Been trying to find a nice Axum coin since I saw one.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

ks0010bb2023.jpg
    Anonymous 350-400 AD
    This one was issued without gold (they had solid gold and silvers also but I don't have those).

ks0020bb2286.jpg
    Kaleb & successors 520-540 AD
    Gold spot is there but otherwise it is a junker

ks0030bb2024.jpg
    Joel 7th century AD
    not a gold spot issue

The OP is a very nice coin. Congratulations.

13. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

The last emperor -
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. billpocz

billpocz Amazed by Peace Dollars

Simply fascinating!!!

Sometimes it seems like coins that old (from ~300 AD) should be almost priceless...

15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

You'd think so but a low budget guy like myself has amassed alot of ancients :D

Cant do that with slabbed u.s. coins. unless you have alot of play $.

16. Erik

Erik Dumb Noob

Interesting read. Thanks to all for their contributions to it.

Nice coin, OP.

17. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

Anoob...
    :yawn:

:kewl:

Very Cool!

18. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Anoob, you are amazing, what a great find, i too have studied were the Ark has been kept. There are those that believe it is kept on an island in Ethiopia, by a very rare Sect....Love your coin...:thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted