Auction results: Aurelian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Aug 12, 2016.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I bought this one because of you people. I mean I have been wanting a coin of this type for my Alexandrian group but this one appealed despite its off center reverse but mostly for its extremely clear obverse legend. What do you make of the last two letters being larger? plan aheAD?
    A K Λ ΔΟM AVPHΛΙΑΝΟC CEB
    The thread
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/i-...is-maximius-coin-can-you.281755/#post-2478609
    reminded me that I did not have a nice clear Aurelian obverse and I saw this in an auction so I bid on it. I figured I'd get it because most people would hold the reverse centering against it more than they would see the obverse as exceptionally clear. I prefer we honor positive characteristics rather than slamming faults. I would not make much of a politician.

gi2628fd3334.jpg

The eagle flanked by vexilia was only produced in year four but is a very common coin. Not all we see are on this large a flan but many have better centering. The portrait even has a bit of the long neck for which we devoted another recent Aurelian discussion. The seler described the edge as crude and it is perhaps a bit worse than many but the only real oddity is the fissures at obv. 3 and rev. 9 o'clock. Alexandrian tets of this period should have bumpy rims. I suppose someday I'll shoot a diagonal shot showing this one better but first I have to write up this and the other two coins the postman delivered today.

For comparison I'll show another Aurelian, this time with Vabalathus obverse, which also is better than many but closer to typical in terms of legend legibility. Reading Greek letters on late Alexandrian tets is a skill to be gained with a little practice by those who care.
    gi2630b02199lg.JPG

dlhill132, Cucumbor, icerain and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

this is my ugliest tet, but i liked that it had "year" written out instead of just "L"...wanted one of those for the collection.

[​IMG]

Aurelian Potin Tetradrachm of Alexandria, Egypt. Year 5 = 274-275 AD.

O: A K L DOM AVPHLIANOC CEB, laureate, cuirassed bust right R:ETOYC Epsilon, star left, eagle standing left, head right, with wreath in its beak. Milne 4422 20 mm, 8.4 g

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have not been able to acquire this skill. On most anyway. The first coin you posted is clear, but most are not so.

I am supposing you have a good idea in your mind, but my limited intellect (being from West Virginia) I would say the engraver found he had too much room remaining?

5. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I remember this coin for the nice portrait of Vabalathus. I generally forget that Aurelian is on the other side!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I don't collect that period of Roman history, but nevertheless, @dougsmit that is a very nice coin. I find the faults relatively minor compared to the overall coin. I don't think the off centering is too much. The details of the reverse can still be nicely appreciated.

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great coins both! When it comes to vexilla, at the moment I have one of Diocletian, also year 4...

dio eag standards 6.jpg

And this crusty but well-detailed Aurelian/Vabalathus recently made a skip across the pond to a collector in Hungary...

aur vab 6.jpg

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

When it comes to Roman Imperials, I am like the little kid who goes to the candy store: I place all my money on the counter... "Here is my money, is this enough?"

RI Vabalathus 271-272 CE and Aurelian Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Vabalathus 271-272 CE and Aurelian

RI Aurelian 270-275 CE AE Ant Concordia-Milit Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Aurelian 270-275 CE AE Ant Concordia-Milit

RI Aurelian 270-275 CE AE Ant receiving Globe from Jupiter Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Aurelian 270-275 CE AE Ant receiving Globe from Jupite

9. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

I do not have An Aurelian? Here is a vexilla reverse where the die engraver got drunk 2/3rds of the way through the obverse inscription.

AntiochPisidiaVolusian.jpg
    Pisidia, Antioch. Volusian AE24.
    Obv: IMP C VIB AP GAL V[OLVSSIANO], radiate draped bust right.
    Rev: ANTIOC CHLCO, standard between two vexilla, all topped by eagles, SR in ex.

dlhill132, Bing, Okidoki and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted