At what spot price would you sell your silver?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jason.A, Jun 14, 2017.

1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Joe, with all due respect, that's just crazy.

The world's silver is plentiful compared to gold and unless there is some technological innovation that either renders gold valueless or silver essential, there are two chances of what you're suggesting coming true. Slim and none.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

An acre of land for an ounce of silver?

4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

A bridge in Brooklyn maybe, but not an acre of land.

HawkeEye likes this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Just wait until the Dept. of the Interior starts cranking up the Yellowstone Caldera to spew a few hundred cubic miles of lava and ash. Helicopter Land, baby!

That's when land will return to its true value -- zero -- and you'll be wishing you had silver. Because you'll need it for, well, something.

6. losthomer

losthomer Active Member

There are a few places left where you can get an acre for less than $500. Might even be some $100 acres out there. There is also a reason that land is that cheap.

And there is the problem that silver has never even approached $100 and probably never will, at least in the few decades I have hope to have left to wait.

I'm also not a believer in the market manipulation to keep PM prices down or the so called experts who will trade your worthless fiat for their stash.

7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I am banking on it !! I think Silver has great potential and buy as often as possible at the lowest premium possible, seems to be running on the flat side however
    which is fine with me as long as it stays in this area I am good :) just looking
    Long term here.

8. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Everything you said made sense until this.

If silver rises above $100 then the economy is in trouble. If that happens then real estate is going to be the investment of choice as there is much more of it than there is of PMs. An acre of land will cost many multiples of what it does now. Although I do buy some PMs I think that buy real estate is equally important. Problem with real estate is that it is not fungible and cannot be sold overnight in an emergency so no on should put all their assets into it.

9. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Cmmon Man!!!! ounce for an acre... really.......

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, there are a bunch of badlands out there that nobody wants.

It's easy to imagine inflation carrying prices of everything in general to double, triple, or a hundred times current prices. I'm not assuming hyperinflation will happen in my lifetime, but we've seen it elsewhere, and I did live through the double-digit inflation of the 70s and 80s.

To see silver (or gold) skyrocket relative to other commodities, you need to imagine a major change in demand, or Hunt-Brothers-style market shenanigans.

If we see silver skyrocketing relative to land or oil or hog bellies, a lot of folks are going to look for the hose, and try to trace it back to figure out who's pumping.

slackaction1 likes this.
  11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Two Tens for a five...LOL

slackaction1 likes this.
  12. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

$100/ounce might get me in a selling mood, but I am not holding my breath.

13. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Assuming the price of everything hasn't doubled, (since the value of anything is only found comparing it to everything else), then if silver went into the 40's again I would pare back holdings. I just have too much of it and its too dang bulky. I am trying to only buy gold or platinum lately just to cut down on volume issues.

14. Aunduril

Aunduril Well-Known Member

I'd have to say I'm in the same boat as others, I would consider selling about $30/ounce.

15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I think my answer depends on prevailing conditions at the time. If it appeared the the price was high because of manipulation, I think I'd probably bail from all of it, almost without regard to price, because near term lower prices would be inevitable. On the other hand, if everyone I knew was trying to buy some silver, I'd be going long, and selling small amounts into strength.

16. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Why wait? . . . For one ounce of silver you can probably buy an acre of Superfunds land right now!

17. losthomer

losthomer Active Member

It's probably been done before but I couldn't resist. images.jpg

mikenoodle likes this.
  18. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

When I think about the Zombie Apocalypse I try to balance my purchases between metals and MREs. The metals make me feel good, but the MREs are eatable and trade-able. I might bet on an MRE for an acre of land before I would bet on an ounce of silver. Hard to eat that silver.

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't have a price. I'm selling when I get sick of playing with silver.

20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I would go long on paper silver @ 25, sell physical @ 30 or better, wait till levels, , sell paper silver , wait till levels, buy back @ under $ 20.

21. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

I didn't know that but it sounds about right.

Jason.A likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted