At what spot price would you sell your silver?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jason.A, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Would you be willing to sell all or most of your silver if silver reached a certain price?

For those of us who collect and invest, this can be a tough question.

For me, most of my silver was purchased in the $14-$20 range.

I suppose if silver hit over $30 an ounce, it would be foolish for me not to sell some or most of it. At over $30 an ounce (at least a 50% profit), I would sell 75% of my stack.

But what you sell from you stack? I suppose I would sell the more generic items that I don't really like first (1oz-10oz bars and rounds). Then, I would sell the circulating silver currency. Finally, I would sell most, but not all, of the investment bullion.

What about you?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

If it hit $25 I would sell.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

With silver low, a lot more coins have a numismatic premium.

If silver went up substantially, I'd start trying to sell my most common stuff (generic rounds, Roosies, 1964 anything) and buy Barber halves, nicer Walkers and so on close to melt. In fact, that's what I was doing during the last silver spike; I'm still underwater on a lot of stuff, but not as deep as I would've been otherwise.

5. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Last time it went up I sold some generic rounds at $30 and some ASEs at $47-48. I would not sell now below about $40 and then it would all depend on what is getting the best price.

6. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

It would have to hit $ 30.00 for me to start selling some of my generic silver leftovers.

7. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

I think it would depend on what the markets are doing. No point is selling at a given point when you could be in the middle of a longer up trend. Higher silver usually means a change in the GSR as well, so it might be a better move to swap for gold instead of sell outright. Again, it all depends...

8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

would like to see a minimum profit of 30% but since i am a long term investor i
    Would probably hold on to it, even if it reached that amount.

9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

You will never gain any profit from silver. An ounces of silver will always be an ounce of silver. You may be able to gain an extra 30% in the number of FRNs you can convert it to in order to use an inflated government mandated medium to purchase things.

10. mpcusa

Is that your crystal ball talking ? i think if that was the case then there would be
    No point in investing in it would there.

11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

At spot north of $50-60/oz, I'd start looking at my metal detecting finds album a bit differently. Might have to go beyond $65-75/oz to break my sentimental attachment to my dug "treasures", though.

What little generic silver I keep around would go long before that, of course.

My primary collections would be safe almost indefinitely. It's not really feasible to melt Roman denarii or wafer-thin medieval hammered silver, or the scarcer slabbed stuff.

I couldn't bring myself to surrender such things for melt, even if spot value exceeded my cost. But strange things happen in peaks like that. The coin dealer who mentored me told stories of people in the back room during the early-1980s boom, crushing antique Tiffany silver sets and suchlike with sledgehammers, so that it could all be busted up and shipped off to the smelter.

I couldn't bear to watch something like that.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  12. lordmarcovan

Come to think of it, the last time bullion spiked during the recvery from the Great Recession, I sold my maternal grandmother's Sterling flatware. Times were still lean here.

The silver had literally been under our bed in a cardboard box for several years, mostly forgotten. It was high quality stuff, too. I was utterly astonished when it fetched over $2K for scrap, when I realized we'd literally been lying on top of such a hoard and fretting about finances the whole time.

I don't know if Mimi's silver actually got melted or not. I certainly don't think I could have brought myself to crush it up and drop it into the fire personally.

-jeffB likes this.
  13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

No, there is a tremendous point.

What @sakata was saying is that inflation doesn't affect metal, only the amount of cash you can convert it into.

slackaction1 likes this.
  14. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Let's all remember, though, that sakata is someone who buries silver in his yard in preparation for a melt down of society.

mpcusa likes this.
  15. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

your personal grudges aside, I simply stated that he raised a point that many do not understand

16. lordmarcovan

Yes, I think I see what Sakata was getting at.

17. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

You have a very selective memory, or you read selectively. Had you read that entire thread which I assume you are referring to you would have found that it was a one-off experiment, now completed, done out of curiosity. Having satisfied my curiosity I thought it worth reporting here for anyone else who had read about the original idea but did not try it.

If I were preparing for a meltdown I would sell my silver to a smelter, not perform experiments on it.

18. $30/ounce would be my tipping point.

19. mpcusa

It all depends on your investment strategy, if you think your going to buy today and
    sell tomorrow good luck with that, you need to stay in long term.

20. mpcusa

[​IMG]

21. JOEinSTLOUIS

JOEinSTLOUIS Member

There are still many people out there that brought silver when it hit $50 an oz. some time back, and waiting for it to rise again before selling. and many just own it as a silver stock market certificate and don't have physical silver on hand.

Many experts agree Silver rightfully should be around $145 to $150 an oz. and many others think it has the potential to climb as high as gold or higher.

China , India buying up the vast majority of the worlds Gold & silver, wealth of the west seems to be moving east. many experts also agree silver prices being artifically manipulated, everytime it tries to rise they knock it back down again.

Every Nation reconizes silver as currency, & silver being used up many times. more than gold for Industrial & technology needs.

Personally I think sometime in the future you will be able to buy an acre of land
    for one oz. once prices are realized.

Draft saved Draft deleted