At long last!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientJoe, Nov 8, 2017.

1. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I spend far too much time pruning and strategizing over a long term wantlist in an attempt to quantify future purchases and plan the direction of my collection. Since I've been seriously collecting ancients, three types have always been near the top of my wantlist but I've never managed to acquire them. They aren't the most expensive coins or the rarest but for whatever reason, they've always slipped through my fingers.

Until this past month!

Between two auctions (one well attended, one poorly attended) and one private purchase, I've crossed off these three types. Happily, looking back, each of these are arguably nicer than comparable examples which have come to market so it was the best decision to involuntarily wait.

Carthage Trihemistater: (12.51 grams)
    Trihemistater.jpg

Trajan's Forum aureus (posted a week ago but this picture better represents the coin):
    TrajanForumAureus.jpg

Perseus "Zoilos" tetradrachm: (This is by far the rarest and toughest coin of the three and I'm less surprised to have to have waited for it)

Perseus.jpg

Post the coins you've yearned for and finally found.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Insanely beautiful coins!

4. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

What he said... :eek:

panzerman, ominus1 and GerardV like this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

WOW!!!!:jawdrop::hungry: I'd LOVE to have just one as stunning!!!

I suppose the following coins fall into my 'yearned for and finally found' category, especially now that I had to lower my monthly budget for the indefinite future:

al the great lifetime tet tarsus.jpg anthiocho VIII.jpg cilician stater.jpg anthony Caesar cisalpine Gaul.jpg

6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Congrats, those are amazing! The artistry on the Carthage and Zoilos are simply incredible.

panzerman and AncientJoe like this.
  7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Utterly fantastic! The zenith of ancient coin collecting.

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Magnificent coins @AncientJoe ! WOW!

Nothing below is rare or high grade but they were coins that I yearned for at one time:

The first ancient coin I ever yearned for was a big Ptolemy.
    [​IMG]

As I began learning more about Alexander the Great and about the coinage I yearned for a lifetime tetradrachm. This is the coin that satisfied that want.
    [​IMG]

When I started getting interested in ancient coins, I would look at different websites just to see what is out there. I always liked snake and religious themes so when I first saw a cystia mystica I knew I needed one in my collection.
    [​IMG]

Mostly it's the coins I didn't know I need until I see them that I yearn for the most.:D;)

9. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

10. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Stunning, as usual!

The Trajan looks familiar -- somewhere in my memory I seem to recall thinking about putting in a bid on it, but I'm not sure. There are a number of Trajan Forum types in different metals, so I'm probably remembering incorrectly... Also can't find your earlier posting on this coin from a week ago.

The Perseus portrait is gorgeous -- I never realized Perseus was the name of a Macedonian ruler as well as the Greek god.

As you and most others on this site know well, my yearned-for coin was the Caligula Three Sisters:

4b2 - Caligula AE sestertius.jpg

11. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats Joe, what a wonderfull hat-trick !

Glad I won these 5 coins in various auctions:

Tetradrachma XF Attica Athens vz.jpg

P1170157.JPG

P1160017.JPG

P1170128www.jpg

P1180632nn.jpg

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I can't say it any better than that.

13. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Congrats on acquiring those amazing coin @AncientJoe
    Same goes for the rest of the coins posted here. There are same great pieces here.

panzerman, AncientJoe and ominus1 like this.
  14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Holy WOW. Carthage I love... AU, Denomination, Horse... Fantastic. Congrats on the Aureus, and fantastic for finding that incredibly tough Zoilos find!

Would you be able to share the TriHemiStater attributes? Year, EL or AU? etc... I enjoy this World Power that later became extinct by the competing Romans.

I would love to honor your post with a couple of mine:

CARTHAGE:
    upload_2017-11-8_12-24-20.png
    Carthage Zeugitana 350-270 BCE EL Dekadrachm-Stater 18.5mm 7.27g Tanit Horse 3 pellets in ex MAA 10 SNG COP137 SNG Sicily 975
    ex: @Ancientnoob

ZOILOS:
    upload_2017-11-8_12-25-10.png
    INDO-GREEK KINGDOM Zoilos II Circa 50-40 BCE AR drachm 17mm 2.3g Athena Alkidemos l monograms fought with Antony's Legions at Actium SNG ANS 1654-1658
    Ex: @John Anthony

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  15. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Holy shirt! That's probably the coolest thing I have ever seen.

panzerman, Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Just amazing coins, that's all I can say!

panzerman likes this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

All are stupendous! WOW! The Carthage trihemistater... amazing. The Zoilos tetradrachm-- that must be one of the finest Greek portraits in existence. Big big big congratulations :)
    I have many hasty purchases but for this coin I waited, studied dies, waited more, and was then rewarded with a very artistic coin :)

[​IMG]
    SICILY, Entella. Punic issues
    c. 300-289 BCE; AR tetradrachm, 24 mm, 16.8 gm, 12h)
    Obv: head of Melquart-Herakles right, wearing lion skin
    Rev: head of horse left; astragalos (cut over poppy) to left, palm tree to right, Punic MHSBM (approximate meaning is "quaestors" or financial controllers) below
    Ref: Jenkins, Punic 366 (O115/R298), series 5b
    Ex Gorny & Mosch 138 (7 March 2005), lot 33
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/a-big-one-from-the-wish-list-siculo-punic-tetradrachm.297246/

Here's another favorite, another extremely beautiful, well-struck, and artistic coin. Some crazy man decided it wasn't good enough for his collection and sold it to me :joyful:

[​IMG]
    KINGS OF MACEDON, Alexander III
    AR tetradrachm, 17.14 gm
    late lifetime issue, struck in Aradus c. 324/3 BCE
    Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin headdress.
    Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ; Zeus seated left, holding eagle and scepter; I in left field; AP monogram below throne
    Ref: Price 3325
    ex Colosseo Collection

18. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

That is the most amazing Perseus I have very seen. :wideyed:

Many coins fill a hole, some coins scratch an itch, but only a few satisfy a yearning. I think these all qualify for me. I have another on the way that I'm very excited about...

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 11.47.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 11.47.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 11.47.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 11.52.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 11.53.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 11.56.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 11.56.26 AM.png

19. kkathyl0

kkathyl0 Active Member

just stunning and those pictures are Top shelf as usual

AncientJoe and Deacon Ray like this.
  20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Yeah, that the Entella Tet that I am looking for... Still have not got this one...

panzerman likes this.
  21. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

Great examples! Your collection is pretty amazing.

panzerman and AncientJoe like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted