A big one from the wish list: Siculo-Punic tetradrachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, May 29, 2017.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

EntellaTetRT-ed.jpg
    SICILY, Entella. Punic issues
    c. 300-289 BCE; AR tetradrachm, 24 mm, 16.8 gm, 12h)
    Obv: head of Melquart-Herakles right, wearing lion skin
    Rev: head of horse left; astragalos (cut over poppy) to left, palm tree to right, Punic MHSBM (approximate meaning is "quaestors" or financial controllers) below
    Ref: Jenkins, Punic 366 (O115/R298), series 5b
    Ex Gorny & Mosch 138 (7 March 2005), lot 33

This and other Punic tetradrachms have been on my wish list since I saw my first examples. It's hard to say why this type became such a must-have since I didn't know much about the circumstances of the coin. Actually, I guess it's not hard to say why: it's a beautiful coin. Sometimes that's reason enough :).

I assumed there would be extensive and colorful history to go with this coin, but that seems not to be the case. After winning the coin I began searching for interesting tidbits for a writeup. A first step for such things is always to check auction catalogs, especially old and higher-end catalogs which sometimes have nice blurbs that add interest. I checked all of my catalogs and online catalogs; checked various general and Greek numismatic books in my growing library. Zip, zilch, nada. No amusing anecdotes, no tantalizing tie-ins with history. Hmm.

But... Digital Library Numis to the rescue! All four parts of "Coins of Punic Sicily" are there, yay!!

Some of my questions are answered in those articles:
    • Hoard evidence is what places these coins at Entella, which was under the control of Carthage at that time. The Punic Wars were still three or four decades away but there were ongoing problems with Agathokles. Perhaps these coins were used to pay troops and other costs of battle.
    • The two main variations of this coin ("quaestors" issues and "people of the camp" issues) were probably issued concurrently and from the same location, although the reasons are cloudy. It might indicate that there was more than just army encampments there-- the Carthaginian state was doing more than just paying the army.
    • The head of Tanit/horse head tetradrachms immediately preceded these coins. While this new obverse undoubtedly copies Alexander III tetradrachms, Punic Melqart had already been assimilated into Greek Herakles so the Carthaginians weren't abandoning their Punic iconography... they were just making coins that blended in better with the region. Alex III tets had already become extremely well known throughout the Mediterranean.
    • I mistakenly thought there were hundreds of dies for the entire emission, since the Entella tetadrachms I was drawn to all had high die numbers. However, the die numbers for the series begin at 86 for the obverse and 227 for the reverse (earlier numbers are for earlier Punic coins in Jenkins' scheme). The "quaestors" tets have only 21 obverse and 81 reverse dies; the "people of the camp" tets have 20 obverse and 39 reverse dies. That makes more sense, because it's not like you see these on every numismatic corner :)
    Anyway, this minutia is probably pretty boring to most of you. If it isn't, you might want to read the Jenkins articles.

More importantly to me is that this was struck with one of my favorite dies for the series. I don't always have to have highly artistic coins in relatively high grade (have you seen all of my grungy but beloved coins of Roman Egypt? :D), but for this one I held out. I studied archives and made note of my favorite dies. For the obverse, die 115 was in the top tier and reverse die 298 is interesting because it was recut. I was happy to see this coin at auction.

Speaking of the reverse die, it began life with a poppy in the left field but was later recut into an astragalos (knuckle bone; a gaming and/or fortune telling device).

Here's the a coin struck with the same reverse die as mine, before recutting. That's a poppy in the left field. Note that the obverse die is also the same as my coin.

Entella-Jenkins364.jpg
    (from CNG's archives)

Artistic dies, good centering, good metal, good strike, little wear... happy sigh :)

Please feel free to add you Punic coins or related issues. Coins of Agathokles from around the same time are also welcome.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    ChasPay, sidestick, cmezner and 63 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I had to pop my eyes back into their sockets, and roll my tongue back into my mouth.

tenor.gif

Holy cow @TIF , talk about drop dead gorgeous coins. That would be a #1 coin of the year for 98% of us here, but knowing you it would be lucky if it made it into your top 10.

What a winner! To use a baseball reference, you hit a grand slam home run.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Co1ns, Mikey Zee, Puckles and 2 others like this.
  4. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Great new coin, TIF. These are beautiful and yours is a really nice example.

TIF likes this.
  5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Very loverly coin. I approve of your choice of dies. :) The refief on this coin must be outstanding.

You guys (and gals) are making my abstinence from European ancients VERY HARD right now... :)

TIF likes this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Well, you really hit it out of the park there! That truly is a flat-out majestic coin. Also, astragalos > poppy!

TIF likes this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Y'know, when I first saw this reverse I thought it was a pomegranate.

It's an astragapoppigranate.

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Fantastic coin TIF!

TIF likes this.
  9. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Awesome coin, really like the relief. I've seen them pop up here and there but the price is always a bit too much for me.

TIF likes this.
  10. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

WOW what a beautiful coin, in perfect condition, doesn't matter about no tidbits the coin speaks for itself. Congrats TIF, on a fantastic buy.

TIF likes this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Oooow, sweeet => man, that's a total winner, Coin-Princess (congrats)

Hermione eight.gif

:rolleyes:

Alegandron and TIF like this.
  12. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

@TIF, I love the writeup and it is definitely a fabulous coin. I can't show anything remotely like it (but wish I could!).

TIF likes this.
  13. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

That is a really outstanding specimen, well done!

I have the more curvy horse's neck style:

Punic Tet 4Na.jpg

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Absolutely beautiful @TIF

TIF likes this.
  15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

HOT :wideyed:

the little recut device is really cool! so why did they do that? wear to the die (or a break) was making it look crappy...kind of like fixing a regrettable tattoo?

TIF likes this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The curvy-necked horses carry the "People of the Camp" legend (Jenkins 5a). Do you know the die numbers of your coin? I've got the Jenkins part 4 document open on my desktop and I can try to match your coin, if you'd like.

Theodosius likes this.
  17. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Phenomenal coin! And I loved every last bit of your minutia. :bookworm:

TIF likes this.
  18. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Breathtaking! And an interesting write up, too!

TIF likes this.
  19. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

If you can find it, I would appreciate it.

John

20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I tried a short while ago but there was several possibilities and my eyes are now fatigued. I think it's possible to match it up though, so I'll continue when my eyes are fresh :)

Theodosius likes this.
  21. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wonderful coin @TIF

Both obverse and reverse are superb.

TIF likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted