Assistance Needed: Graded BU Australian KOALA & KANGAROO

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by N2theCAPE, May 12, 2020.

1. N2theCAPE

N2theCAPE New Member

Hello All,

I am relatively new to the forum so I hope that I am posting this in the correct area. I am seeking assistance on 2 coins that I am looking to purchase from a friend, he's offering them to me at $25 each and would like to know if they're worth the purchase or I should pass. My hesitation is that they don't have an actual grade, they've just been certified as being genuine. Is this because they're damaged (somethings wrong with them) or is this one of those ploys for the original grading companies to charge you more for a coin without it having an actual grade so they safe money? I don't have photos of the coins but I have attached what it says from NGC & PCGS when you look up the cert.

PCGS 2015-P Australian Koala Genuine 89 Brilliant Uncirculated
    NGC 2016-P Australian Kangaroo Brilliant Uncirculated Distributed By ParadiseMint.com

For the NGC where it gives you the information on the amount that have been graded, it says "In 60: 0 In Higher Grades 4,022". Does this mean that it is graded at a 60?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

More than likely the seller sent these in as a bulk submission. NGC and others offer a service where basically it is just encapsulated and authenticated without being graded.

In my opinion, you can get a nice graded piece at that price point.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

Those are both holders that are given to companies/dealers that submit in bulk. (ParadiseMint is one of those companies). These are often below a certain threshold (probably below MS 69 as most of these modern bullion coins grade either 69 or 70).

The $25 price is about average given the increased premiums for physical silver lately (although you could also find an MS 69 for close to that price).

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

They are fine. I have these 3 in my collection.
    20160820_114142.jpg

Robert Ransom and N2theCAPE like this.
  6. N2theCAPE

N2theCAPE New Member

The cheapest PCGS 2015-P Australian Koala MS69 on eBay is $36.50 free shipping + Tax.

So would that one comparably be a "better buy" then this one?

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

I would say no (as even an MS 69 is usually valued close to the raw price or a few dollars higher-that is if you try to sell one). However, that is based on a general view and experiences with the more common examples (a better date-like the 2008 Koala might be a different story). Your experiences (and collecting goals) might vary.

8. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Why am I not surprised? Like I said, "You the Man." :)

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

These are bullion coins and if you could find others not slabbed for less, buy them. The price ain't that bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted