ASE vs JM bars, your thoughts please,

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Govt Mule, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Govt Mule

Govt Mule New Member

With spot currently at $16.39, I'm going to pull the trigger on a couple of monster boxes. The focus is long term.

ASE current price is $9460 vs. Johnson Matthey 1 oz bars at $8850. At this price differential, total of $610 ($1.22 per unit), I am seriously leaning towards the JM bars.

Haven't had much experience with bars, the JM's seem to have reasonably good name recognition. Would anyone please share your thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

I never had any problems with JM, and i like them for long term. Save the $1.22 each.

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

I honestly don't think it matters one way or another. Good luck to you.

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. billy b

billy b Active Member

BAD BAD MOVE!!!!!! Start a day trading account!!!!!!Beat them at there own game,Short pm's every am & turn your 19k into 100k in three weeks:)

6. CHUCKCXB

CHUCKCXB Active Member

if all you are paying is $1.22 extra per coin .. you will be able to sell the eagles above melt , bars normal sell below

7. CHUCKCXB

CHUCKCXB Active Member

forgot to mention you can sell them all day on ebay $4 to $5 above melt

8. Murphys Mike

Murphys Mike Member

What is a pm?

9. galapac

galapac Seeking Knowledge

Precious Metal. You will see that shorthand a lot on forums.

10. Murphys Mike

Murphys Mike Member

11. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

12. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

When it comes to bullion, bars have little value if any over spot, there are a few collectors out there of so called rare bars. It's best to not even consider the name on a bar, just that it's verified purity and shop for the absolute best possible price near spot.

There are and will always be coin collectors out there. A guy just starting collecting will want all previous years coins. That in itself creates a demand and will drive prices above spot.

ASEs are considered bullion by many simply because they weren't produced for circulation, but they have a denomination on them and produced and distributed by the government who guaranties the value to never to be worthless. Just like all other government issued currency.

You can take a look at what the early years of ASEs are selling for above spot compared to bars for the same era and see which is the best investment. I chose ASEs.

13. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

The old years have done well but their mintages were under 5-10 million. The most recent years have been 30 million +, I really have a tough time seeing the premiums appreciate on those.

14. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

My belief is that you should do what is best for you, your plan and what your local market is doing. I can only speak from what I've seen the last year or 2 and the LCS's that I check in on. They've been pretty consistent in quoting from spot to spot +$1 for ASE and from spot to spot -%5 for generics. I believe you should figure out which will work out better for you and your plan and act accordingly.

15. Govt Mule

Govt Mule New Member

Just a follow up: I was undecided, so I went straight to the horse's mouth and asked my grandsons' opinions. One responded that he thought the JM bar with the serial number was "cooler".

The other one, surprisingly, did some research. His reply noted that JM was one of the absolute bell weathers of the PM industry, in business for over 200 years. He correctly pointed out that the JM bars are currently produced by Sunshine Mint. His research included the premium price of Englehard bars since their end of production.

He sealed the deal when he reminded me of my old "Joe Kennedy maxim". He stated that ASE production could reach 60 million units this year.

Spot was kind, and were able to lock in price of $8815 after the delay.

Just received another email from the kid, it contains a link to a site that has a pretty good price on rolls of Mercury dimes. He suggests that we take the $1200 price differential and buy Mercs. He's getting smarter!

Hommer likes this.
  16. Govt Mule

Govt Mule New Member

I agree. The Provident prospector is a beautiful round. Have some tubes that I purchased when they run their specials, (.79 above spot, etc). Yesterday, they were about $1.80 over spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted