ASE Set: Part of your Bullion Stash or Coin Collection?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Jun 17, 2017.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I will allow one lucky ASE to be put in to an air-tite...LOL, and of course everything
    Is kept in the best condition possible !

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Please elaborate on bullion inventory requirements.

mpcusa likes this.
  4. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Locktites and rings take up a lot of space. As inventory increases the safe will fill more quickly and there will not be as much room for more inventory!

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, those big tubes that they put the airtites in take up massive amount of space in a safe. I had one and had to get rid of it as my stash grew.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

... one could get a bigger safe LOL

Johndoe2000$ and Bman33 like this.
  7. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct. I was only "tying" to be a little funny/sarcastic. He will soon find that space is important as his stack grows.

8. mpcusa

The safe for sure is not an issue :) i actually have two as i collect guns as well and
    Just bought a industrial size one that they use at gun stores which holds 75 long
    guns and 25 pistols, the safe that was replaced, that i am using for my bullion
    Measures 5 feet wide by 6 1/2 tall so there is no worries on space i assure you
    Of that.

9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Not yet. :)

Two Dogs and HawkeEye like this.
  10. mpcusa

well i would say half full would make me a millonaire all the way full a millioaire ten times over..LOL

slackaction1 likes this.
  11. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

The dividing line on bullion versus collecting should be on the willingness to grade the coin in my opinion. Collecting ASEs as just coins is interesting but would anyone seriously just keep a 95-W in their pocket or in an airtite? Maybe a date set without regard to grade can be a collection in this arena, but not much more.

Keep the bullion in their tube or monster box and buy TPG coins for collections. Many of the older ASEs cost thousands and I cannot see holding them in airtites long term.

12. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I would only be buying the regular strikes, no proofs or all the other stuff. I already bought the 1996 for $50 and the next costly is the 1986 for $30. Only 2 key dates the rest I should get for a regular ASE price. May have to negotiate some of the earlier dates though. The main reason for this was to get my niece, nephew, and me Dansco books and build are sets together. I figure by the time they are 18 they will have a nice stash to cash in or keep.

13. mpcusa

ASE,S are my go to coin for investing in bullion, i actually trade off each month between them and rounds, and i tend to pick up bars or add to my 1/10 gold
    hoard, but grading any coin that is bullion drive, would doubt if you would get the
    premium back.

14. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

A great goal and we need to do all we can to encourage the next generation.

Bman33 likes this.
  15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I'm trying hard with them. I got them signed up as junior members of our coin club and they love getting new coins like the rest of us!

HawkeEye likes this.
  16. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Interesting strategy. I have steered clear of rounds because of some advice I got years back. Apparently in a real crisis the rounds might have to be assayed to prove purity whereas ASE have a known purity and therefore value. Rounds might be fine but I have never thought the price difference was worth the longer term risk.

Bman33 likes this.
  17. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I agree with this assessment. I just did about 3 weeks ago and traded all my rounds for a one ounce American Buffalo. The only silver I stack now is Junk 90% and ASE's. Love it when I can get ASE's for $2.00 over spot online!

18. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

To some extent it depends on the mint. The better known mints are generally considered safe.

19. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

True and I am sure some like Sunshine are not questioned. If you are buying 500 then maybe saving $1k is worth it. But if you are buying 5 then saving $10 does not register with me for the risk.

20. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

OK, here goes----
    I have two grandchildren that have shown an interest in coin collecting, both my grandson and granddaughter go to Coin Shows with me. I am collecting for them:
    Grandson- Complete MS69 NGC ASE Set including the 2006 to date ASEs with the "W" mintmark and the assumed {S} minted (on the label) for 2011 through 2015, the {P} for 2015 and the (P)(S)(W), as indicated on the label for 2016 and 2017.

Granddaughter- Same only PCGS MS69 without the 2015 (P) and 2016, 2017(P)(S)(W)

I have a third Grandson who is to young to determine if he will be into coin collecting, if so he gets the 1986 through 2017 PR69 NGC Set.

I intend to keep each set going as long as they are made and I'm still around. To continue with my liking for American Silver Eagles, I have the 2006 & 2011 Anniversary Sets in MS/PR70. I have the 2012 2 piece San Francisco Set in PR70. The 2013 West Point Set MS/PR70. The 2017-S PR70 Congratulations coin in PR70.The 2008-W with the 2007-W back in MS70

I guess it would have been easier to say that I have ever American Silver Eagle except the 1995-W from the 10th Anniversary Set. (I refuse to pay $4,000 to $5,000 for a PR69).

I bought each coin myself, as issued, and did not pay a for any completed sets. Most of the ASEs I had graded myself except when it was less expensive to get one on eBay already graded.

I consider the above a collection not silver stacking.

21. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Definitely not silver stacking in my book and anything we can do for our grandchildren always pays dividends for us and them. I remember collecting as a kid and then came back in retirement. If I had not collected as a child I don't think I would have grasped the fun later in life.

I am cherry picking coins I find interesting to try and get mine interested. A state quarter from each state where we live. Presidential dollars with a little write up from me. A Canadian coin or two because they make interesting coins for collectors.

But ours are very young and I don't think they would grasp a set yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted