ASE Set: Part of your Bullion Stash or Coin Collection?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I decided to go for the entire ASE set. Today I bought the 1996. I can't figure out wether to count the whole set in my Bullion Spread Sheet or as part of my coin collection. What would you guys do?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You could always list them in both with a footnote cross-referencing them in both categories.

Chris

4. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

I consider them to be both collection, and bullion investment/stacking. I have started to collect silver coins from many countries. They are near spot price, gorgeous and nice varieties. As for the SAE sets, are you planning on collecting just the MS, or going for the proof/reverse proofs also? They are all beautiful coins, but can get pricey.

5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

That's a great Idea. I have one problem which I will discuss below.

I am collecting just the MS. The problem with me counting them in my bullion is that it skews my cost per ounce. The 1996 ASE cost me $50.00. That's the most expensive one in the bunch. The next would be the 1986 for $30.00. Right now my average cost per ounce is $14.18. If I throw those two coins in it kind of ruins my tally on my bullion stash.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Any coin that was purchased for a numismatic premium can be listed as such in your coin collection spread sheet with a notation on your bullion spreadsheet as N/A. Any coin purchased as bullion can be listed in your coin collection spreadsheet as N/A. That way, neither set of records will be skewed.

Chris

mikenoodle likes this.
  7. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I get a roll each year and take one coin out for each Dansco album. Those are my collection coins. The rest stay in the tube and they are my investment silver.

Two Dogs and mikenoodle like this.
  8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I have all my coins in separate lock tites and tubes but it is a pain when everything
    Is a different size :( especially 1 OZ Bullion coins !

9. Johndoe2000$

After re-reading your OP, I would keep it separate from your bullion list. If going to complete the set, it's more than just bullion, it's a collection. I consider my bullion to be liquid, have no real attachment to it. A complete set of Eagles is a collection.

10. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Active Member

I do both. I have some ASE's (and other minted rounds, government or otherwise) that I consider collector's pieces and I don't count against my bullion stash. It's stored separately and logged separately, never the two shall mix. All the rest go into the stash pile, albeit nicely, but still just treated as bullion.

ddddd and Bman33 like this.
  11. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Active Member

You should look at the Air-tites with the different size rings. There are 4 main sizes - A, T, H and Z - which have their own storage tubes associated with it.

You buy the air-tites (in bulk) and then the rings for your specific coins. The rings let you put smaller coins in the same overall size air-tite, and then you can put the air-tites in the tubes for storage.

For example, the X6D is a double-thick capsule, where I'm able to put my privateer 2oz rounds as well as my Queen's Beasts in the same air-tite X capsule, but using the different sized rings. Then I can put both into the X-sized tube and into storage.

Helps organize so much better, and then it splits the collection into 10- or 20- coin tubes for easy logging and separation if you have multiple storage types and locations like I do.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

My ASE set is part of my coin collection. I ended the set this year because I'm sick of the US mint. It will never be part of my bullion stash. My stash is there to dump when the timing is right.

coinsareus10 likes this.
  13. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

It's a collection. Case and point, I have the 20th anniversary collection (1986-2006) that I'd like to part with, but when price of silver is way to low at this point. If it were bullion I would sell and replace it with something that takes up less room.

14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

This is essentially what I will do then. I have Tubes of ASE's that are part of the stash. The set will solely be part of my collection. I just ordered some random dates ASE's online. Any duplicates I'll just take to my LCS and do a straight trade for a date I need. They said they would do that.

ddddd and Prime Mover like this.
  15. mpcusa

I have everything sorted and put in to the proper tube size and cap color
    Lock-tights and rings here,s my 1/10 OZ Gold (Red Cap) Platinum / Palladium
    (Black Cap) also have tubes coming for my 1 OZ Krugerrands (Red Cap) and
    Some for my out of country Silver, but the bitch of my Silver Investment
    Is the ASE and Silver Rounds no air tights for them just dry stacked in a tube
    Its only bullion to me, and again i am not a coin collector !! i am strictly MPC
    and Bullion only !!

[​IMG]

Prime Mover likes this.
  16. mpcusa

This pic is about a month old in the 1/10 OZ gold i have an Krugerrand, AGE and
    a Libertad will be adding the maple leaf soon on the Platinum side on have the APE
    Right now but that will change soon :)

17. Johndoe2000$

If it's all just bullion, why bother with any airtites/capsules?

18. mpcusa

I am very organized and a little bi-polar to boot, i give my silver rounds and ASE,S
    absalutley no respect..LOL everybody else gets an airtite.

19. Johndoe2000$

Blasphemy!!! :) As in the other thread, it's just wise to keep them in good condition. So no juggling, and you should be fine. :)

20. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

All that tells me is that you have way too little bullion.

21. mpcusa

well since i just started this journey just a couple months ago, i think i have allot
    and adding more each week ! give me a chance and i will keep up...LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted