ASE: Random Year vs 2017

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Had a question for you ASE guys. Would you mind buying a tube of older dates or sticking with the current year. A third option would be a tube of all random year. I was asking because I had concerns for the buy back from dealers and consumers.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Depends upon purchase prices, buyback price (if you worry about that) and whether you flip them or not. If you flip them you may like current year ASEs.

And it depends ... which older dates ?

4. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Silver is silver. Buy the cheapest.

I have generally found the current year to be the lowest price. Random dates are not far behind and sometimes are cheaper. Specific previous years, especially older, are usually a little more. Random dates from APMEX generally means a tube of all the same random date. Cannot speak for other vendors.

As for resale, don't worry. There are always people looking for specific years to fill a hole in their Dansco. Even I do that with selected years every time I start a new one.

5. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I have a lot of ASEs in Air-Tite rolls, and the years are random, some from the eighties and nineties, but mostly 2009 and newer. All of these are in capsules, of course, but that's not my question, which is:

I have two rolls of ASEs in their original sealed government rolls. Do these rolls specify the dates anywhere on the outside? Sorry, but these are in a safe deposit at the bank, so I can't just go to look for myself. Don't recall the seller, either.

If I wanted to dispose of some of these would the government rolls be easier to sell?

Thanks

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

Usually the older year ASEs are sold for more than the current year from most vendors. Most years are common and valued about the same, but some dates, especially the 1996, do carry a premium. If you can purchase the older date or a tube of random for the same price or less than the 2017 tube, I would do that. Best case scenario, you might receive some older dates worth at least a small premium. Worst case scenario, you get something that is worth the same as the 2017s.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

I don't think the rolls specify the dates. Only the sealed monster boxes would specify the date.

Also, I don't believe a sealed individual roll would bring much premium (maybe slight) since it isn't easy to prove that someone has not opened and resealed it. Now, sealed boxes, which may be a bit easier to prove that they are original, could bring a premium (especially if they are still eligible for various TPG labels that someone may pay up for).

LA_Geezer likes this.
  8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

I personally don't but some people do.
    I believe many collect 1 of each date or buy the cheapest tubes (which is usually current year) for stacking.

10. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I usually just stacked current year but then decided to collect all the ASE's. I was trying to figure out if I could kill two birds with one stone and then remembered some people collected an entire tube for each year. I just want one. I have 86 and 96 the two big dates and some of others. Now I guess I start at the rest.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  11. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Every year I buy several full tubes. One gets split open and I put one coin in each of several Danscos and the rest just gets put aside as bullion.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    LA_Geezer and Bman33 like this.
  12. LA_Geezer

Not really in my case. Most of my earliest ASEs were gifts from family members and a friend who used to manage a company that sold investment coins. My brother rightly told me to not buy the singles since they were costing me more than a roll would, so I took his advice.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I have noticed that when you go to 'sell', dealers prefer rolls of a continuous nature.....that is to say, the same year. Mixed rolls are a 'turn off' to anyone I've dealt with.

14. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

That is very interesting because I would much rather buy a mixed roll. I get a little irritated when I buy 3 rolls of "random year" and they all come back the same. Mixed rolls allow me to add to or start another Dansco.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  15. LA_Geezer

I really envy you, your quest to start another Dansco, @sakata . I haven't checked that type out, although I have a variety of Harris, Whitman and Littleton folders for things such as Lincoln and Indian Head cents, Walking Liberty and Franklin halves, Peace and presidential dollars, and the State and ATB quarters. I had a lot of these in a strong box that got so heavy that I couldn't pick it up any more (I'm not just called the Geezer, I am the Geezer), along with all of those ASEs in rolls. I had to take some of this to the safe deposit box, partly because of the value, but mostly because of the weight and space it was taking up in my home office. I think I'll just buy a single ASE for each year, from now on, and buy Gold AGEs in the future. My brother laughed at me, saying that I'd need a moving van for all that stuff if I didn't watch it.

16. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

There is no difference, it,s a bullion coin and therefore should be treated as such,
    Many dealers will charge you an additional premium for current dates, so my advice
    Is just purchase random dates, your best value, i buy about 20 a month
    random dates mostly, actually just finished a tube early so may go out
    and buy some rounds as well.

slackaction1 likes this.
  17. MidwestMegaHoard

MidwestMegaHoard New Member

I favor the random year... never know when you'll pull a '96 ;)

LA_Geezer likes this.
  18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Only way that happens is if they make a mistake. Random years really aren't very random generally speaking.

MidwestMegaHoard and LA_Geezer like this.
  19. LA_Geezer

Correct me if I am mistaken about the distinction between Bullion and Collector ASEs. It's my understanding that all of the coins that the government ships out from the mint(s) are Bullion; they don't become collectables until samples are sent to one of the three certifying companies. For their fees, they'll grade your coins for you and seal them in one those plastic cases. Much of this comes from that Mike guy you see on late night TV and on HSN. What I am not clear on is whether one of the rarer 1996 ASEs that @MidwestMegaHoard (and I) hopes to find would be assessed as highly as one coming from a 1996 box that had been sent to the certifier. Or, is @mpcusa correct as he states above?

MidwestMegaHoard likes this.
  20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

This is incorrect. There is a bullion version where it is very limited who can buy right from the mint. The mint also makes and ships proofs, collector versions, and collector sets depending on the year. There is a bullion market which is much more than the Mike market you referenced, you are right that he is about the only one that can sell ANACS ones like that as the the collector market really just wants PCGS and a lesser extent NGC.

he considers everything bullion, I would completely ignore him when it comes to values. There is a thread where he argues with everyone for pages that aspecial collector set and reverse proof ASEs are bullion.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    MidwestMegaHoard likes this.
  21. LA_Geezer

^ Well, yes, I'm aware of the distinctions of proof sets from the mint, but I was not aware that the mint will send you the standard coins. As with the Presidential Dollars, it was my impression that only registered/approved distributors could get the coins from the mint. As Freud is reputed to have said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Draft saved Draft deleted