Article about Gold Storage

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Cloudsweeper99, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

One of the best methods I have heard of is to dig a hole in your basement or slab, buy a firesafe with a dial combo lock, and sink it in the hole in concrete. I guess it depends on how big your stash is.

4. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

I'd only use a safe as a decoy... maybe throw in a couple silver rounds and a lot of paper.

The best place to hide your PMs is out in plain sight. Case in point, I remember hearing stories about a fellow who invested a lot of money in diamonds and mixed them in with the gravel in his fish tank.

You just need to be creative and not too chatty about your hiding places.

5. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Thats funny...thats the same place I hide all my rare paintings. Bad part is, it keeps turning the water colors!

6. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

make a capsule out of pipe with threaded caps. hide in your walls, ceiling, buried, etc

7. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

I once saw a TV show where someone hid a pile of jewels between two steaks and put them in the freezer.

8. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

If you can afford precious metals, it would be prudent to also invest in an alarm system and maybe even cameras. I've been meaning to make a trip to the spy store and setup some closed circuit TV around the place :D Depending on disk space, maybe keep video for a day, but 30 second snapshots indefinitely. You may have heard the phrase nowadays that "disk is cheap!". To be super safe, would probably be good to setup an automated FTP task to archive the images on the net.

9. Info Sponge

Info Sponge Junior Member

There's a sticky thread on the Kitco forum about this, not all of which is crazy.

10. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

I currently have a setup with a webcam that takes a snapshot when it detects motion it sounds an alarm, sends out images in an email, and sends a text notification to my cell phone. It's a poor man's alarm system, but it gives me some piece of mind when I'm out and about or away from home.

With a police station not 500 yards from my house, someone might get in but they're not getting away unless they leave as soon as they hear the alarm going off... and I mean immediately.

11. Happy

Happy New Member

I'd like to do it like it was done in the Adams family movie... Great article!

12. whstler

whstler New Member

This sounds like a nice set up. May I ask what equipment you use? And how do you enter your house without sounding the alarm?

Thank you.

13. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

If you have a lot of dollars in coins of precious metals and you keep them any place but a bank then insure them to the hilt. No
    matter what you do it will never be as safe as in a bank. In fact insure them even if they're in a safe deposit box because banks take no responsibility for their safty even then. Don't be like that guy that lost $750,000.00 because he thought he could keep his silver bullion safe4 at home.

14. Zeplyn

Zeplyn Dry Ink Seldom Smears

I have heard and read where the Gov can lock down your SDB and you will be out of luck.

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The government,( both state and federal) can "seal" a box in several legal situations. They still can not open the SDB without your key. Even in 1933, the proclamation used "seal" and to be "opened in the presence of an IRS representative.It did not allow wholesell drilling of the locks to check each one. The law exempted coin collectors, dentists, jewelers, etc, as value would be difficult to determine and reimburse. Reimbursement was part of the law. Bank SDB require 2 different keys, one for the bank, and one for the customer. The lock will not function without both at the same time. The 1933 law can not be used as it stands to confiscate collector gold coins, nor AGE as they were excepted from confiscation when they were initiated by Congress. So with that in mind, SDB should still be the safest place to store valuables , except for papers such as passports, birth certificates, visas, guns and other prohibited items, that you might need if the bank was closed. IMO.

Jim

16. Zeplyn

Well that is good news for people with SDBs. Not me, I do not trust the Gov at all.

17. desertgem

Statistics are and seem to be validated by news, that many , many more people lose valuables from home storage devices than SDB. I deem it safer than to trust friends and relatives, as it is they ( or their acquaintances ) that are more likely to rob you than the government or banks. IMO

Jim

18. Zeplyn

Well Desertgem, I have a statistic for you as well. If someone has the courage to try then 10/10 times they will get these in this order. If they pass level 1 then level 2 comes. If still standing then Level 3 and so on. I do not know many who can pass level 1 much level 5.

Level 1- 5 shot 12g defense Load

Level 2- .45 cal ACP 10 rd Mag

Level 3 5.56mm (.223) extended mag semi auto

Level 4- 22LR Bull Barrel Ruger

Level 5

How's that for statistics?

My friends know me too well to try some silly thing like that.

19. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

what if you
    aren't home

20. desertgem

Zeplyn, you have my wish of good luck in your world. It is fairly obvious that you have strong beliefs in many areas that are entrenched and can not be reasoned. As such, you live your way, and I will live mine.

Jim

21. Zeplyn

Jim

Precisely my point. The way your post's come across is that you are the all seeing, all wise and know it all person.
    This simply can not be the case. Please do not take this the wrong way, I mean no disrespect to you at all. There are billions of people in this world
    and therefore billions of beliefs, ideas, concepts, truths, and decisions.
    This is why dictators always fall one day because not one person knows it all. I am of strong mind and opinion. I do not trust, respect is earned and given when due.
    My God, this Country was founded upon fighting for freedom and rights.

Yes we are different, perhaps in many ways. The one thing that brings us together is that we are are human.

I am removing my pictures by personal choice.

Draft saved Draft deleted