Are Libertads Low Mintage?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by ripple, Dec 25, 2019.

1. ripple

ripple Active Member

a relative is sending me a gift from SD mint (I think, or bullion) and it’s a half ounce Libertad from Mexico, I’ll post pics on arrival. I have some ASEs, Maples, etc but never gotten one of these and I read somewhere once that they were lower numbers of them made. Amybody here a fan of these? I’d appreciate any of your opinions.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Welcome to CT. Yes photos would be nice but the Libertad is the Mexican form of silver bullion. I personally do not consider them to be of low mintage even though the mintages are less than other forms of silver bullion.

ripple likes this.
  4. rte

rte Well-Known Member

longshot and ripple like this.
  5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

There what i would consider not an over popular bullion coin, most likely
    The reason for continuous low mintage,s is because of there low popularity
    ASE,S as well as Maples are much more in demand.

6. ripple

ripple Active Member

I wasn’t aware of any of the information in these replies so it has helped a lot. ASEs are usually my first choice but this was a gift that has provided some good education as well. I should get it within a week.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

Some of the gold ones have very low mintages and high premiums.
    The silver ones have a few key dates too.
    It's not a bad way to diversify your bullion, especially if the premiums are on par with other bullion when purchasing.

ripple likes this.
  8. ripple

ripple Active Member

Agree, I should have mentioned that in my last post. I’ve got a couple of the British coins for the same reason.

ddddd likes this.
  9. mpcusa

Diversification is one thing, but always buying the most popular will give
    You the greatest return and be easier to sale :)

ripple likes this.
  10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

The gold libertads are cool as well but the premium will quickly turning you off! :D

ripple likes this.
  11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Don't go nuts over how to determine whether or not these types of coins will be rare and profitable. Low mintage doesn't always mean capital gain. Not Unless there's a vast demand for such.

medoraman and ripple like this.
  12. mpcusa

Premium is always a major consideration, however whats worse is grading a
    Bullion coin, for sure defeats the purpose as most government issue coins
    are bright unc.

fretboard and ripple like this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Supply does not set the price so low mintages can not be factored into the price unless demand is high. Then supply and demand act together to determine the price.

ripple likes this.
  14. ripple

ripple Active Member

This is the first Libertad I’ve gotten as I usually go for eagles but I love the design.

Attached Files:

green18 likes this.
  15. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Spot on, (get it, spot pun?, yeah, sorry).

Rarity is but one half of the equation though, right? Everyone who talks about rarity, etc is completely ignoring demand. I have a few ancients now that everyone who knows the series say are unique, yet they are not worth much. You have a 1916d dime that 264,000 were minted yet worth a lot more. One of the most common ancient coins are Athenian tets, but they still go for near or over $1000 a piece even though there literally are hundreds of thousands of them.

Demand is the real key to coin prices, not supply. This is talking about collectability. For bullion coins, PM price is what matters. There are two distinct things here going on, so be careful. Way too many bullion collectors start buying "scarcer" bullion coins, paying higher and higher premiums. However, what is your INTENT with this money. If it is to buy bullion, then paying higher premiums is a waste of money. If you wish to speculate that a certain bullion piece MAY increase premiums in the future due to demand increasing, you can bet that way, just recognize you are no longer buying bullion really, you are betting on the demand curve in a collectibles field, something not for the faint of heart. Now, do it at no or tiny increased premium over normal overages, and you haven't lost much versus buying other bullion. Just think through what you are using your money for, and if it still is in line with your original intent.

h.e.-pennypacker, green18 and ripple like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted