Are Gold & Silver as easy to sell in Europe & Asia as the US?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Gam3rBlake, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I’ve never taken PMs internationally but I’m just wondering if they are as easy to sell in other countries as they are in the US?

Or do a lot of other countries not have many bullion dealers making it harder to sell?

Like if I took a 1 oz American Gold Eagle & 1 oz American Silver Eagle to London, Berlin, Rome, Barcelona, Tokyo and Beijing would I be able to quickly sell it for cash and get the same amount of value in foreign currency as if I sold it here in the US?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I think if you went to a London coin shop and you wanted to sell a few ASE's, no problem and you'd get paid at least a few dollars over spot. :D Anywhere else, like India or other countries who don't give a care about the US or the price of bullion or the horse you rode in on, you'd be hard pressed to sell! 112.gif

NOS and Gam3rBlake like this.
  4. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

5. Gam3rBlake

That thread was close but not the same.

That thread was asking about specifically American bullion from the US Mint.

This thread is asking about difficulty of selling gold & silver internationally in general regardless of brand or origin of the PMs..

So let me ask you: Do you come to my threads looking to find something wrong with what I say? I’m genuinely curious.

6. Gam3rBlake

But I’m talking about gold & silver in general. I just used Gold & Silver Eagles as an example.

Let’s say I went to India with a 10 oz PAMP silver bar. Would it be easy to sell?

I’m asking because I’m thinking of taking a little bit of PMs with me overseas in case of an emergency but if it’s hard to sell then it wouldn’t make sense to do so.

7. Evan Saltis

No, although if you want me to I can.
    Was just adding that to remind you to see if it was answered there.
    but ok. o_O

8. Gam3rBlake

Oh my bad it just felt like you’re trying to make me look bad when I’m just asking a question.

I’m a 90% disabled vet because I got a head injury in the Army so yeah my memory sucks and I do forget things sometimes and end up asking the same question twice unintentionally.

That’s not my fault though. I can’t help that I got a TBI or that I forget things. All I can do is try my best t9 remember and sometimes I just don’t.

Copper lover and fretboard like this.
  9. Evan Saltis

don't let anyone see you carrying that in some of those cities o_O
    sounds like a terrible idea. just sell it here and bring the cash or something. Sounds like a lot of work for no reason.

fretboard likes this.
  10. Gam3rBlake

Hmm that’s true. I could just sell it before I go and bring the cash.

But then I’m concerned about like what if I lose my wallet or I get pickpocketed? Then I don’t have any way to access my money without a credit or debit card.

So I was reasoning that if I had like a 1/2 oz American Gold Eagle that I kept separate from the cash it could provide a kind of emergency fund in case something happened to my wallet/money.

Since a 1/2 oz American Gold Eagle should be enough to cover essential expenses like food & lodging until the bank was able to freeze and replace my old cards with new ones.

11. Evan Saltis

You're gonna be better protected with debit cards you can cancel rather than bringing literal untraceable gold coins across the ocean to a third world country. o_O

scottishmoney likes this.
  12. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

Like mentioned , not to many countries collect US numismatics from what i have noticed with my travels .

They usually collect their own countries coins or mintage . . . Or surrounding countries .

tibor likes this.
  13. Gam3rBlake

But I’m not talking about numismatics.

I’m talking about bullion coins.

An American Gold Eagle isn’t valued for its numismatic value. It’s valued for being 1 oz of pure gold which should have value anywhere in the world.

Gold is gold right?

E423B942-FBB0-4B6E-88F4-D6F1B231106B.jpeg

14. Gam3rBlake

Thats why I was thinking of maybe hiding it in an inner jacket pocket or something where no one could steal it without mugging me.

Im just so terrified of what would happen if I lost all access to my money while overseas.

How would I eat? How would I find a place to sleep? How would I get home?

I just thought maybe it would be smart to bring along something like that in case but maybe my logic is flawed on this matter.

I’m also just curious if there are as many bullion dealers in Europe as the US.

15. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

There are many places all over the world who will buy gold. In an emergency I don't think losing 5-6 % at a "we buy your gold" place is all that important. A friend here in Spain recently had to part with 2 gold coins in desperation. On the day they were worth around 350 Euros each and he got 640 Euros for them.

16. Gam3rBlake

Ah ok yeah that’s what I was asking.

I was wondering if there were as many “we buy gold” shops in Europe as there are in the US but it sounds like you’re saying it’s pretty easy to sell gold anywhere.

17. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I think if you went to any City overseas, even in India and you went to their financial district you'd be able to sell. Just not sure if it's a good idea, that's all. Too many variables involved to think it's safe to do. I'm sure you already know this but in some countries they don't even smile at each other. Not that a smile is valuable financially speaking but it sure would be a different world for sure! :D

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  18. Evan Saltis

I have a special pair of underwear with a pocket inside for my wallet. I know it's a little weird but it has kept me safe in the southside of Chicago, CHAZ/CHOP in Seattle, and more.

Copper lover likes this.
  19. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

must be fun to watch when you check out and buy things

coinaline likes this.
  20. Evan Saltis

Lol! It is a little odd but no different than adjusting your waistband. I'm a germaphobe, too, so I'm sure to keep myself cleaned up.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  21. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Get a necklace with a bezel and wear the oz AGE around your neck (under your shirt).

Draft saved Draft deleted