Apmex question for the bullion pros on here

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by bg1856, Aug 25, 2009.

1. bg1856

bg1856 Junior Member

Plan on picking up a few Gold American Eagle's on Ampex. I would like to know everyone's opinion on whether to purchase the random years or the 09's for $10.00 more. Has anyone ever ordered the random years and if so, has the quality ever been a issue or do they come BU. Thanks in advance

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

I ordered 4 random years earlier in the year. They were all from 2005 and BU but all of them had copper spots or some discoloration on them somewhere.

Unless you wait for gold to go down to the $920's. I don't see a reason to pay the extra $10. The 2009 will most likely be the most massed produced coin in the series, if you are collecting so the $10 extra premium is just more profit for Apmex. I mean $50 over spot ..really? stick with $37.95 over spot for random and buy a couple happy meals with the rest of the money.

4. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

Random years should be just fine. If they have copper spots as mentioned above a quick dip should make them like new. :)

5. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

A dip in what??

6. bg1856

bg1856 Junior Member

What is dipping the coin to make them new mean? And how is it achieved? Thanks

7. CrustyCoins

Dipping is usually not recmended on coins because it is acid based and removes a thin layer from the surface. Often if used properly can remove haze etc from proof coins but it has to be done fast and rinsed properly to avoid problems down the line.

You can usually pick this kind of product up at your local dealer.

I was just suggesting if done right any toning or copper spots could easily be removed and since this is bullion gold there is less chance of harming the coin due to it's inert nature.

Again, it is not usually recomended to dip coins but many people do any way and usually learn the hard way why it is not recomended.

If you do a search on these forums you will find many threads on the pro's and cons of dipping. I just think this would be a scenerio where it is a pro.

8. krispy

krispy krispy

cleaning coins with chems, use the search up in the tool bar to read LOADS of threads about this.

9. CrustyCoins

Great suggestion, wish I would have thought of that. :)

Oh wait, it's in the previous post. ;)

10. krispy

krispy krispy

yup, seems we posted very near the same time, your's beat me to it and with a more complete reply. :thumb:

11. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Don't try to "fix" your coins. If you don't like a coin, it's better to sell it and buy one you like.

12. AG Metal

AG Metal Junior Member

Exactly! I saw a man bring in a collection of Peace Dollars to a shop I was browsing in the other day and he had some rare dates, but got a fraction of their value because he had polished them with a rag. The worst part was, the rag and cleaning solution was given to him by the company that sold the coins!:mad:

13. CrustyCoins

I would agree 100% whole heartedly if we were talking about coins. But this is basically gold bullion and I'm not sure it's worth the trouble of selling, maybe taking a hit and buying another at a premium.

Draft saved Draft deleted