anyone who would buy a 25th Anv ASE set is INSANE?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by fatima, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Guano

Guano New Member

Didn't say I bought the 3-pc set

I'm not a coin collector, I'm PM investor and every week I buy things you guys think have numismatic value for melt. Just look at the ATB 5oz coins that you guys thought were so great just a few months back, what a joke. Anything sold as a collectable will never be a real collectable.

I guess I'll just take that money and buy a fractional platinum panda, with a mintage 1/10 the size of the 25th anv ASE and a collectors base 10x bigger than the 25 anv ASE. If I never add another ASE to my stack I'll be just fine

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Awesome. Will you sell me a 2009 UHR for melt then? I'd love to have one.

4. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

it maybe comparing apples to oranges, but i think the price for these might go up, since 2006 silver eagle set with mintage of 250k? is selling for $350+ and 1995-w silver eagle with mintage of 30k is selling for $2500+

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

There was a time that the '95w was going for $5000. Anybody that bought in at that price is aching. If you were a collector though, you may not be hurting as much. You've got one, and that's all that matters. Collectors, true collectors, are not investors. Me? I think the price on those will come down more and I ain't springing on one till I can justify the cost. I might be waiting a long time though. Then again, all things come to he who waits........:)

6. rush2112

rush2112 Junior Member

I have to agree with your comments. This is tulipmania all over again.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Guano gotta realize.....we's collectors. Well, most of us.......:)

8. silvermex

silvermex Junior Member

9. Guano

Guano New Member

What will silver go for in 5 years, lets just say it hits $200 an ounce (it won't) the more silver goes up the less the premium will be. I started buying silver at about 7 an ounce, back then coins like the 1982 George Washington Silver Commemorative Half Dollar sold for double melt, now you can get them for junk silver prices.

I would love to have one too, but to me it would always be just pretty bullion. It's all about being patient and having disposable cash at all times, it also helps when the local pawn shop and second hand store will call you first when one walks through the door. Thats how I get all my 90% junk for 4x face under melt

10. Guano

Guano New Member

Thats why I only post in the bullion investing part of this forum, I only have 6 coins I consider numismatic, all pre 1850 90% silver that I got good deals on. I have 100's of morgans and peace dollars and don't consider one numismatic, not even the beat up Carson city I have.

11. x115

x115 Collector

Guano , maybe you should do more coin collecting . it's very relaxing. Instead of always thinking about fundamentals and looking at investment charts.

12. Guano

Guano New Member

If I was a collector it wouldn't be of newly released coins sold for the purpose of being collected. What I would want is a flowing hair and draped bust half dollar, I already have a capped bust and seated liberty that I got just as a silver collector.

13. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I hear what you are saying and agree to a point. However, remember all proof coins, even capped bust and SL ones, were sold at premiums at the time. So, are you saying my 1882 SL Proof half is today not worth of being collected?

Your point if it were about the danger of overpaying for modern coins sold as collectibles is a fair warning sir, and I myself prefer older coins, (much older for the last decade, like 1500+ years usually), but that is as far as I would go, simply to warn people against prices of modern coins. I woudl REALLY warn them against paying such premiums for MS70 moderns, but that is a different discussion.

Chris

14. Azpatriot

Azpatriot New Member

Fact of the matter is someday all bullion coins will become collectable; the question is if purchased today will it really be seen as collectable in the investors lifetime? Morgans, trade dollars were all nothing more then bullion currency in they're respective time, today the best of the lot are far more valuable as collectable then the bullion itself. I have bought PF69 ASE's here locally from people that wanted to dump them and sold them to me for $5 over silver spot, with that I have no issue but I myself don't see value in having modern coin's slabbed when they are going to come out damn near perfect and sealed from the mint in the first place. Considering that one graders idea of a 70 might be a 69 to another just does not sit right with me when it comes to modern bullion.

Another thing to consider is this, say 100 years from now there will be far more preserved coins then ever before and quite honestly it should effect the market. My trade dollars that have chop marks over them or my Morgans have all been out in circulation. Someone somewhere in San Fransisco 134 years ago stamped my trade dollar with chinese writing before it was sent off on a ship to Canton or Shanghai, that is real history. Conversely someone getting a 2011 eagle and having it placed and sealed in a airtight container and putting it in a waterproof safe with silicon packets is not quite as romantic.

For those who want to collect modern coins and eventually pass off to grand children/ great grand children I would suggest not spending the money on grading, keeping them in the 25 cent airtights and let the eventual heirs determine the value of grading 60-70 years later. We might find out that these millions upon millions of graded modern coins do not appreciate numismatic wise the same way as their predecessors TD, Morgans etc.

15. DW-coins

DW-coins Slave to coins...

Keep in mind that the 20th Anniv ASE's sold for $100 thru the mint and then hit a peak high of $600, a solid 6x their original purchase price. And take note that the price peak didn't occur until until over a year after the sell-out. So if history is any indicator, at $750 ea these 25th Anniv ASE's still have upside potential.

16. Guano

Guano New Member

I like all pre Barber Head silver coins, I can still find late 1800's Barber Head coins for melt. When silver hit 45+ an ounce I found a few seated liberty coins for melt too but those were rare finds

17. x115

x115 Collector

wow! bullion investors are stressed out these days!

the 25th eagle set are the only coins making great money right now. NOT JUNK COINS FOR MELT

18. Guano

Guano New Member

Really, I just bought over 500 40% halfs at 4x face and sold them the next day at 6.5x face.

19. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Ok, good for you, but what does this have to do with collectible coins? You stated you get barbers and SL halves for melt, but what condition? I can buy ancient roman coins for $1, but they were worth $1 30 years ago, and will be worth $1 in another $30 because of their poor condition. One has nothing to do with the other.

20. phdunay

phdunay Member

This is wrong, the premium for silver will not changed due to price. The price of that COIN changed due to the price of silver. When silver was $7 an ounce, people were willing to pay $14 for it, now that the melt value of the coin is about $12.50-13, people still pay $14 for it. It is common and not in high demand, so it commands little precious or numismatic premium.

If all the coins to you are just pretty bullion, I would love to see you post a video of you melting your ASEs, CC morgans and more.

21. x115

x115 Collector

ok lol

Draft saved Draft deleted