anyone who would buy a 25th Anv ASE set is INSANE?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by fatima, Nov 10, 2011.

1. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

^ Yeap IMO i am afraid people are buying this more of an investment (on belief that price will go upwards) rather than as a collection want.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I was lucky to be able to purchase five sets. I'm amazed at the "moon money" these things are going for on the secondary market. Allow the dust to settle a bit. These sets will come back to earth..........

4. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

I think the prices could drop just because there will be so many available.

But what about after the hoopla dies down?

$700-800 seems high, but only because of the Mint's obvious and inexcusable mispricing of the sets.

At the initial price of $300 a set, that is basically the cost of 8 regular issue 2011 ASE bullion coins (mintage of over 30M). So for the cost of 8 mass produced coins, you got a very limited edition set with 2 very special coins, 2 premium coins, and 1 common, plus a fancy case.

Furthermore, the free upgrade to overnight shipping is worth one ASE itself. So the real cost was less than 7 Silver Eagles!

At $700, one could currently trade in 20 or less run of the mill 2011 ASEs for the 5 coin set.

The $300 price tag (actually much less when you include the shipping upgrade) was absurd and a sign of incompetence.

5. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

Now is the time to be buying ATB coins at a discounted price. These coins will be more affordable when the next US Mint induced frenzy begins. An ASE is an ASE in my book. I have enough of them. I'd rather have other designs in my collection than overpay for these.

6. Danr

Danr Numismatist

we have not even come close to the long term floor on this set

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Everyone's forgetting about the box...that's a BEAUTIFUL box!! It's only a matter of time until we'll be able to buy the box (no coins) on eBay...can't wait!! :rolleyes:

8. krispy

krispy krispy

I take issue with the fact that the some TPGs do not return the OGP with coins required to be shipped in sealed mint shipping containers. Who profits from those empty OGP? Has anyone ever heard if the TPGs liquidate the bulk left overs to a wholesale eBayer that lists the OGP? or are TPGs running a shadow-box operation behind collectors' backs in this manner of pilfering OGP from submissions?

I also take issue with the false advertising the Mint seems to have employed as the A25 sets were reported to have lacquered hardwood presentation boxes. Is there any proof the boxes are not plastic as some collectors are reporting?

9. krispy

krispy krispy

One example of who these people may be, dealers buying inventory for customers they know they can resell to.

Earlier this year I sold a 5 PCGS slabbed BU bullion ATB coins when they first became available in the flurry of excitement. Doubled my money on that BU (ungraded) slabbed set in no time. The buyer was a brick-and-mortat dealer. The set of coins has probably changed hands since then, until the prices dropped on those bullion pucks.

10. green18

Dang thing is heavy Chris. Go ahead, drop one on your foot. It's wood.......at least I think it is.

Nobody's gonna know for sure, though, until one of us puts one through a band saw......:)

11. krispy

krispy krispy

Well alright then, buzz buzz... let's hear from some of those slab crackers who like bustin' stuff up? Got wood? :D

12. phdunay

phdunay Member

intrinsic value, but what about numismatic value premium over spot makes them easily $200 as regular bullion eagles, people complaining have to face we have two new key dates.

13. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Welcome back Krispy!! :welcome:

My post was intended as a tougue-in-cheek commentary on the packaging being worth more than the coins. However, I later thought that (if I could find some Morgan airtights that would fit the box), a couple of those boxes might make a nice presentation for my better, ungraded Carson City Morgans.

14. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks!

Hey, that's a pretty cool idea to reuse the boxes for other coins. It would also be nice if there was some solution to customize the outside of the box with what coins you put inside. Something that covers up the name of the set on the lid to reflect other coins than the A25 are inside. I might just spring for some extra boxes someday to try this idea out myself.

BTW, I was also kind of being facetious about the presentation boxes. At the same time it does stand to reason that the TPGs might offer to return the boxes, even if they charged a nominal return shipping fee paid for by the customer.

15. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I thought that most folks just sent the coin to the TPG in the airtight. For instance, I would never send a 2009 UHR Eagle to a TPG in its wood box. :eek:

Remember Joe Ceravone? Joe talked me into taking my 2006 Buffaloes out of their cheesy blue velvet/plastic holders and putting them into the nice leather and wood Buffalo boxes the Mint began using in 2008. They look MUCH nicer in the newer boxes and you can find the boxes for reasonable prices on eBay. At least you could the last time I checked.

Old...

[​IMG]

New...

[​IMG]

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Yeah! Joe told me about that idea too. It was a great idea! I hadn't thought about it for the A25 set.

For those who send in sets to be graded with 'First Strike' designations, they have to send in the whole sealed mint shipping container, with presentation box, capsules, coins and customer receipt from the Mint, COA all included. TPGs usually state they do not return the materials after grading, just slabbed coins.

EDIT: At least as far as NGC submissions are concerned with regards to return of OGP for one's A25 sets, from this article on NGC.com via Collectors Society.

"Original Mint packaging will not be returned unless requested on the submission form.

If requested, a surcharge of $1 per set will be assessed for this service.

◊ Write “Return Mint Packaging” clearly on the submission form.
    ◊ The Mint packaging including capsules will be returned with graded coins. The weight of the original Mint packaging is approx. 3 lbs., and you will be charged for the postage to return it. "

They don't indicate what carrier nor rate they will use for return of the OGP, nor if it will be sent back with your submission or separately, but it could be more than one wants to pay in shipping just to recover the OGP.

17. green18

Hey, the box is nice but I never thought the old holder was "cheesy". Then again some folks think I'm "cheesy".......:)

18. fatima

fatima Junior Member

I was surprised at how nice and substantial the box is. It's worth far far more than $1. I recommend that anyone sending in their sets demand that the TPGs send back the box AND the extremely nice holder that goes inside the box which holds the coins.

The TPG are going to make a great deal of money by selling the boxes they don't return.

19. kruptimes

kruptimes Member

OK, many may call me a dufus but I paid 600 for one on ebay. Why? because I wanted to hedge my 5pm mint order. My 5 sets are in limbo, if they come in I lose a little profit, if they don't, I have a set. I believe the price will settle between 450-700. More downsize risk but I'll play it. No need to thank me for paying for your sets, it's all in the game of supply and demand.

20. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Sound reasonable to me. If you wanted a set, are unsure if your mint order will be fulfilled, I do not think buying a set for $600 is the worst thing in the world. Collecting coins is for your enjoyment, and if these give you $600 worth of enjoyment then what they are worth in the future your heirs can worry about.

If for your collection and enjoyment I never say someone pays too much. I may not pay that personally, but its not my collection, so my opinion doesn't count. :)

Chris

21. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

A single set changed hands on eBay for $1025 yesterday.

Draft saved Draft deleted