Anyone recognize this Sunshine Silver Round?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by jtlee321, Aug 13, 2022.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I picked up this really cool looking retro Sunshine Silver round. The obverse and reverse do not have any writing. The edge is smooth with edge lettering that says "1 TROY OZ. .999 FINE SUNSHINE ® SILVER" and it has a serial number of 0145. I've tried Google and even finding something similar on eBay, but my searching came up empty. I thought I would reach out to some of you stackers and collectors in here to see if anyone has seen this round before and might have any information on it?

Sunshine-Silver-Round-Obverse-JLNP.jpg

Sunshine-Silver-Round-Reverse-JLNP.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

I looked around and unfortunately could not find anything.
    Try posting on Instagram too as there are some stackers/vintage silver collectors there too.

jtlee321 likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Cool round Justin. The toning really seems to give it depth. I like it.

jtlee321 likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That’s only the second one I’ve ever seen so I can’t tell you anything about it except it’s really nice looking and I wish I had one.

jtlee321 likes this.
  6. jtlee321

The light golden russet toning really adds to the artistry of this piece. The fields have a very deep mirror contrasted against the very frosty devices. I loved it the moment I saw it.

7. jtlee321

I'd never seen this one. But the quality of the artistry in the design really spoke to me. I just wish we could back to this kind of product development. I can't stand any of the computer generated low relief cartoon crap coming from the US Mint. They need to clean house very badly.

I was actually blown away by some silver rounds that a client of mine sent me to photograph for them. It shows that there really are some talented artists out there. They most likely are computer generated, but at least they show that you don't have to settle for cartoon looking junk.

Here's a few examples of what I recently shot, I think you will agree the quality of artwork is very good.

1-oz-Asgard-Round-Obverse-Small.jpg 1-oz-Asgard-Round-Reverse-Small.jpg 1-oz-Atlantis-Round-Obverse-Small.jpg 1-oz-Atlantis-Round-Reverse-Small.jpg 1-oz-Buffalo-Round-Obverse-Small.jpg 1-oz-Buffalo-Round-Reverse-Small.jpg 1-oz-Headless-Horseman-Round-Obverse-Small.jpg 1-oz-Headless-Horseman-Round-Reverse-Small.jpg 1-oz-Noah-Round-Obverse-Small.jpg 1-oz-Noah-Round-Reverse-Small.jpg

8. jtlee321

A couple more....

1-oz-Vikings-Round-Obverse-Small.jpg 1-oz-Vikings-Round-Reverse-Small.jpg 1-oz-Westward-Ho-Round-Obverse-Small.jpg 1-oz-Westward-Ho-Round-Reverse-Small.jpg

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

TBH, most of these don't do much for me -- they just seem way too busy and overblown, more like a comic cover than a coin or medal.

But, YOW, that Indian. I keep expecting him to turn and stare back at me. That's a brilliant portrait.

10. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I suspect the OP medal to be a custom piece for possibly a lodge of some sort. Sunshine Mint does custom work and will mint coins of your design. I have thought of having some minted with my portrait to sell on here in the "For Sale" forum but haven't quite worked out the limits and pricing.

jtlee321 likes this.
  11. jtlee321

I agree, some are certainly busy. But I don't mind that. There is depth that helps to separate the imagery.

It's funny you used the comic book cover analogy, as that's what these felt like. They felt more like illustrations rather than an image of a 3D object. I think that's what really made me enjoy these.

I for the most part despise the generic buffalo round, the craftsmanship and artwork typically leave a lot to be desired. But, the one above is much different. It's a round I would not mind owning at all.

-jeffB and ddddd like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted