Anyone know of SQUARE 2017 Australian Gold Coins?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by E Pluribus Unum, Dec 4, 2017.

1. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

I was on eBay when I found a listing for the coin below. The square design caught my eye and was considering purchasing some. However, after an extensive online search (including The Perth Mint website), I could find no information whatsoever on this coin. Anyone familiar with the coin illustrated below?

2017 one-tenth oz GOLD Australia Global Economy Square Map Coin.PNG
    DESCRIPTION 2017 one-tenth oz GOLD Australia Global Economy Square Map Coin REDUCED 75%.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I've seen 2015 and 2016, so they've been doing them for a few years. Looks like another gimmick to sell more coins. Won't be rare but may be collectible. If you can get them close to spot, like $10 over, probably a good deal. Don't buy them unless they are cheap or you want to collect them. Not an investment. They're obviously targeting Americans.

4. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

Comparing the price of these 1/10th oz gold "squares" as advertised on eBay to other 1/10th oz gold coins (AGE, Maples, etc.) from both online and eBay vendors, these Australian gold squares are selling less them all.

I just spotted some on APMEX as well (out of stock). They don't seem to be all that popular from the lack of information on the web.

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I agree the item is unusual and unique and for sure an odd ball, but would really
    Compare it to a generic bar rather then a coin and adjust the price form there,
    But I would absolutely not pay any type of premium for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted