Anyone else buy silver lately?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by swagge1, May 3, 2012.

1. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Silver was $35-$40 at the time of this post. You said you never pumped silver Jeff. Lol

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

People are "bidding as though it's junk"
    What exactly is that on eBay when silver is $40 Jeff ????

30x face ? 32x ? 34x ?

Let's say you actually got lucky ( which I highly doubt) and received a coin that could have sold for more than junk price. Maybe a quarter worth $15 or $20. It still wouldn't cover the loss you took buying $8 quarters and $3.50 dimes. I'm just saying picturing 1 good coin could have been a sales tactic to get rid off the junk silver before the price plunged. Or they could picture a few good coins and send regular junk silver if the listing was for junk that's all they had to send. Horrible strategy Jeff and also Jeff......BUSTED in a Lie

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

No, last time I bought silver, I was able to buy 10 ASE's for $150, that was last year sometime and it was truly a lucky buy! I only buy American Silver Eagles as they have the best liquidity factor as everyone wants them. :cigar:

5. CaptainMK

CaptainMK Active Member

Ive been buying junk silver, ebay, at or near spot, gotta love "best offer" :)

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Actually, I read that as the opposite. He is telling people to NOT take all of their money and buy $35-$40 silver, but to dollar cost average weekly. If someone would have done that versus putting it all on the line at $40 they WOULD have lowered their acquisition cost.

"Pumping" is telling anyone who will listen to "empty the bank account today and buy all you can, because its going through the roof!". Huge difference between that and what Jeff advocated.

Btw, I think I paid something like 24x face for a couple of barber quarters during that period. I was bored not buying anything, and liked the coins. Today they have a premium over junk, but at $30+ an ounce of silver they don't. Its simply not your place to tell anyone they cannot buy something. All we can do it have rational discussions on what we believe macroeconomic trends will lead to for PM investment, and to try to help others avoid the many fraudsters in this area.

Jeffjay and -jeffB like this.
  7. wkferry

wkferry Member

What am I missing? Looking up silver spot prices on the internet today (Juneteenth) I find to is $17.59.

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

You missed the week that this obsessed fan has spent digging through ancient CoinTalk posts, trying to find more people to make fun of. He's extremely excited now, because he's found a post that he can misinterpret, instead of just imagining what I think about buying silver.

9. -jeffB

See, you've fallen into the exact trap I set eight years ago -- you've read what I said and understood what I meant, instead of searching frantically for a way to pretend I said something else. So, really, it's your own fault. :rolleyes:

10. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

Just purchased $2150.00 in mixed silver from an individual who needed cash. 7x face value, local dealer buys for 13x. Need more purchases like this.

11. Trevor B.

Trevor B. Member

That's a great deal. I just picked up some silver rounds, got lucky and found some maples (including a rev. proof!) for $2 over spot.

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Bought two rolls of Mercury dimes for $150.

13. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

bought my first, and (hopefully) my last ASE FOR 34.00 SHIPPED, IT IS A 1993 AND A GIFT FOR A FEMALE RELATIVE..DO NOT LIKE THE COINS AESTHETICALLY, BUT SHE LIKES SHINY THINGS, AND IT IS american and her birth-date so bought it as a b-day gift..

14. losthomer

losthomer Active Member

No buying of PMs here. Everything is over my buy price thresholds.

15. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

No Medoraman. He is advising to spend $20-$25 EVERY WEEK on $40 an ounce silver. ( Likely higher since the context was EBAY sales). Now that's $1040-$1300 a year on silver. He said he never advised purchases of silver. Period. I don't think I have ever heard anyone advise to completely empty the bank account today but this is still pumping. $1300 a year , 10 years ago with silver at it's near all time high. I don't care either way and at least he didn't switch out usernames like most but he said he never advised purchasing of silver and he did... repeatedly. Not just here.

16. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

People could accuse me of suggesting buying PM. I have stated repeatedly that PM is a viable contra asset, and also the fact that DCA is a good way to mitigate timing issues, forcing a person to buy more when it's down and less when it's up. Accuse me of "pumping" then.

Look at human behavior. Tons more people want to buy pm now than a year or two ago. I was posting here then it's a good time to buy. If a person listened to me, s/he would have been buying the last couple of years. They would have bought gold at $1200 and now at 1800, but more at 1200. Even if they listened to someone in 2011, they still would have bought more lower over the last 9 years.

I don't know if he said it, but I would agreed with him if he did. People are horrible investors, only getting interested in PM when it's up. Buy it ALL of the time, but put more money in when no one wants it.

To me, oil is cheap. Not a good time to buy expensive gold.

17. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

I think your spot on people want to buy pm now more than a year or so ago. I was at a coin auction this morning. I only bought a roll of silver dimes for 60.00. The walkers, barber halves random dates decent condition most of them started the bidding at 10.00 which that was my high bid. All the halves were going for over twenty every single half some were culls with holes and they went for 18 to 20.. The Morgans went for 25 and up past thirty on regular dates Morgans you can imagine what the key dates went for. I left only stayed two hours with prices like that who cares what the spot price is ITS the selling price... but I am holding have no clue why

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

@goldcollector makes the most money in silver of anyone. He sells it, then doesn’t deliver it. Talk about a profit margin!

Kentucky likes this.
  19. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Germania 2020

20200721_042116~2.jpg 20200721_042128~2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Kentucky, -jeffB and medoraman like this.
  20. -jeffB

medoraman and longnine009 like this.
  21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

masterswimmer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted