Anyone else buy silver lately?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by swagge1, May 3, 2012.

1. CopperJacket

CopperJacket New Member

I like it! You should go for it :)
    -C.J.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

Slow and steady wins the race.

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Sure. Any plan is fine. Since it would be smaller purchases, you will be paying retail anyway, so I would make it a point of picking out coins you like. Kill two birds, collect coins you like while you are buying silver.

5. redskins26

redskins26 Member

I love my junk silver I just bought some last week from the local b&m also bought 5 SE and a roll of AU mercury dimes from mint products

6. fatima

fatima Junior Member

Last silver that I acquired was a pretty new 2012 ASE that I won at a coin show raffle in Mar. Cost was $3 (3 tickets).

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

At the risk of resurrecting a dispute from other threads, I'd be inclined to dollar-cost average instead -- in other words, put $20 or $25 a week toward junk silver. That way, you buy more when it's cheap, and less when it's expensive.

I guess I'm doing that myself after a fashion, but only very roughly. I'm buying occasional lots on eBay where people are bidding as though it's junk, but there are better date or condition coins that aren't called out as such in the description.

8. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Yes, I think this is a better approach. For instance, I invest the same amount of money in a Vanguard target retirement fund (made up of passive index funds), each and every week, been doing that for several years and will do so for another 35 until I retire. Buy more when it's cheap, less when it's not so cheap. I love it.

I guess my $1.00 face comment was more about the current price of silver. I cant afford to put anymore than $20.00 a week into silver for now, and I think that's probably around $1.00 face currently in 90% silver. But, I am not sure the local places (pawn shops mostly), will sell me less than $1.00 face, not matter how much silver is an OZ. So, if silver tanks, no worries, I can still buy my $20 a week. But if at some point silver shoot back to $50/oz, I dont think they will let me buy anything for my $20 a week, since it will be less than $1.00 face value worth of coins. But I guess when that time comes, I'll push them on the minimum policy.

Thanks for the reply! :yes:

9. -jeffB

Or just start buying once a month instead of once a week, or whenever you "make the minimum". I'd be a bit surprised, though -- seems like most of the dealers I've encountered are happy to sell a coin at a time.

The key thing is to keep some sort of schedule, so you don't get greedy when prices are rising or timid when prices are falling.

Good luck (to us all)!

10. chip

chip Novice collector

I picked up some upgrades for my Junque Barber collection, found some full libertys, I am taking it easy right now, I am saving up for my 1891 Martha ace, which will complete my large size one dollar silver certificate type set, but silver certificates probably do not count as silver.

11. Danr

Danr Numismatist

not buying silver yet (but watching)

12. texansfan

texansfan New Member

What's best, I'm either going to buy a 5 ounce SilverTowne bar for $150 with free shipping, or $5 worth of 90% silver for $103 with free shipping.

13. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Lol. Last seen 6 years ago. 900 fine ??? I'm going to guess this is longarm

14. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Last seen 7 years ago. Maybe he can't afford internet after buying $40 an ounce silver each and every day.

15. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

What was best was to buy Gold me texansfan last seen 8 years ago. Lol

16. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Lol this must have been a post about all the $40 an ounce silver he just bought.

17. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Cloudsweeper always was a smart guy

18. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Lol. "Always buy the dips" Says the silver crowd. OMG that's all silver has done for the last 10 years is dip. And if there ever is a decent buying opportunity, the premiums are too high to actually take advantage of it. The last few months have been proof positive that buying silver is like buying lottery tickets. But the silver crowd never learns

19. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Fair point about physical premiums surge when market prices drop. That is why I say to buy paper until physical premiums go down.

Same can be said for gold market. The main difference is gold has jewelry and Asian demand backstopping it, and silver is more industrial. I buy both. I try to "double dip" by buying coins I like so I get collecting pleasure in the meantime, but to each his own.

goldcollector likes this.
  20. -jeffB

21. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

Jeff I caught you pumping back in 2012. I almost believed you and thought my memory was failing me. The actual first old thread I read through --- YOU are pumping $40 an ounce silver. JEFF JEFF JEFF

Draft saved Draft deleted