Anyone canceling their order of 75th anniversary sets?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by luke2012, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krispy

krispy krispy

Let's not let the Mint off the hook so easily. They have seriously mismanaged and fumbled this most popular coin and strong selling product that collectors/customers/consumers have been mot loyal in following, the silver eagle. They didn't produce collectible versions at all in 2009. The finishes of all their coins have suffered since opting for the cheaper and sloppy laser frosting effect. As you said, they ticked off a lot of folks real bad with the 2011 special 5-coin set, have turned around less than a year later and offered another "special" set with this 2012 2-coin "S" 75th anniversary product and now undermined what they just sold to collectors by releasing the, 'Making History' product (which ties more into the B.E.P.s other 150th product concepts honoring their legacy of years 'printing' not minting, than anything the US Mint was been marketing on their own. Similarly, that product is slightly cheaper for the same coin product since you get the Making Historuy set for less than one coin in the 2-coin 75th set, plus a $5 that you could easily spend if you don't collect notes.

It's been 25 years of the current ASE design. The Mint allowing marketing and poor management of programs (remember that there is still a vacant Directors seat at the Mint) to occur, kinda puts a nail in the coffin of having killed enthusiasm for something that wasn't broke that they tried to (price) fix for their utter profitability. The Mint might as well try changing the design now to retain collector enthusiasm and maintain profitability. It's been 25 years and it's a ripe time and opportunity to draw on the power collectors would sure be keen to consume for their collections.

It's marketing
    that is exploiting the cash-cow that this hobby really is for the Mint. It's no skin off their back, it's easy bank they can count on and use to inflate their Annual Reports. And it's a particularly lucrative one that this hobby has been in the heat of the recent years precious metals rise, the panicky hype that has surrounded buying metals and the justification that allows the Mint to move the price needle higher and higher on such "special" product offerings, this while spot prices have been declining.

The Mint states how much money they are spending on investigating the problems with ordering and they outsource that job to firms in another country in the midst of the jobless problems! They have fed this line to collectors unable to acquire products on release days for a number of years leading up to the 2011 problems. Rather than offer people the chance to buy silver at a more reasonable price, the opt for making a profit. Rather than allow collectors to maintain their collections during these high priced metals years the Mint gorges itself on enormously over priced products. We can tweak this to the nth degree but unless folks do what the OP question of this thread asks, cancels their orders and refuses to buy future products in protest of this milking and mismanagement of a much beloved coin issue, the Mint will continue raking it in and collectors will keep bemoaning the same laments. People saying they are just buying one set for their collection really has no collective effect on addressing the Mint where it will be most obvious to them that their consumers are less than 100% satisfied, where it financially hits the Mint. Nothing short of that will make the Mint or those in charge of coin legislation adhere to collectors' standards in light of these 'soap operas' they feed the collecting community which so adeptly control collectors' purse strings.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

No way am I cancelling, and my offer to buy at spot + $10 per coin is still open.

With regards to the C&C set, I'm buying at least 25 to flip them. How high do you think they'll go?

4. krispy

krispy krispy

spot + $10 per coin :thumb:

5. I admit that like everyone else I agree that the coin and currency set is a bad idea and seems to hose the purchasers of the 75th anniversary set. However, like I mentioned earlier, if the mint concocted this set to get rid of returns from the 75th anniversary set than it may be ok. If about 250K 75th anniversary sets were made and they expect about 10-20% (about 25-50K) canceled, returned, or voided due to credit card problems, then why not package the S ASE Proof into a cheap looking set with an insignificant $5 bill and get them off the shelves. In this scenario, and I know that I seem to be defending the Mint, the final mintage of the S ASE proof remains around 250K and the ASE reverse proof drops to between 200-225K. TC

6. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

If that's the case then the mint would have the same number of extra reverse proofs too. Where are those going?

7. coinsider007

coinsider007 gold digger

this coin and currency set have to go up to $105.00 (maximum retail value). then we can said it is break even for us. cause dealers going to buy from us at $72.95.
    now if this set doesn't move and stay at $72.95. dealers a.b.p. will only be around $45.00 to $50.00 per set. well. you say what about selling at e-bay?. fine. then what ever the price you sold less e-bay and pay pal fees. plus cost for shipping and packaging. finally your time and effort. i think this set is not a profitable one.

8. I have no idea. Everything I have said is just conjecture. Then again, no one here or on any coin forum or blog has the facts. Maybe RP ASE production lagged behind the S ASE proofs. Who knows? The Mint has some explaining to do. TC

9. PeacePeople

You think I'm being too generous with my offer? I didn't want to scare anyone off by low-balling them.

10. PeacePeople

It's coming out later in an unannounced Silver and Bronze commem set in honor of election Tuesday.

11. Smart driver

Smart driver Member

Drama. No cancellation here.
    Up up and away!

12. coinsider007

coinsider007 gold digger

what about a 2012 two coins silver eagle one ounce reverse proof set (one scalloped shape and one fan shape). these two coins come with no mint mark?. mintage 20,000 only. first come first serve. whose ever can enter the mint website and complete the order. he gets it. limit one per family. mint offer price $7,500.00 each. order period - strictly one week. remember 1995w silver eagle proof with 30,102 mintage and cost around $3,000.00 each. this set should be very cheap. it can go beyond $10,000.00 easily.

oppsss. this coin should commemorate my 50th birthday or 50th anniversary.

13. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

That's right, they do have some explaining to do. Only thing is they're a gov't agency so I bet we'll never hear anything about it.

14. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

We'll hear something, once they figure out how to spin it. Only one way to spin this and that's redo the sets with a D mint mark and retire the 2012-s dies.

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Whatta spin! That would be fantastic!

Ain't no way, no how that offering's ever coming to Kansas.......

16. statequarterguy

You have to believe. Try tapping your ruby slippers together and say, there's no ASE like a D, there's no ASE like a D .........

17. krispy

krispy krispy

"Fantastic"? "no way"? Never say never where there's a viable fantasy aspect to numismatics where anything imaginable is possible, especially with ASE coins that have never been minted by the US Mint. There are some rather adroit private mints that offer fantasy pieces, and a D-mintmark falls right in line with one particular coin designer's personal interests when it comes to D mint marks and his home state of operations. ;)

18. krispy

krispy krispy

Wait a minute now... if Ken starts wearing ruby slippers were bound to end up with a mint issuing coins with flying monkey designs and faux emerald jewels embedded in the coins, the likes we usually see issued by other world mint's when it comes to their novelty numismatic bling. :D

19. statequarterguy

20. I would love to see Daniel Carr mint a D ASE. He could even do his own anniversary set, but the Denver Mint struck it's first coins on 1906 so would have to wait 19 years until the 125th. :smile TC

21. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

They should take any 12-S Rp's and put chop marks on them or ............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.