Anyone canceling their order of 75th anniversary sets?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by luke2012, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clint

Clint Member

Oh, and as for flipping being the opposite of foolish, I don't do ebay and paypal and all that. For the hassle of getting that set up, then paying fees and postage and whatnot, the spread would have to be more than $200 to make it worthwhile...for me. So please don't suggest someone is foolish for not being a flipper.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clint

Clint Member

I think part of that is also due to the lower relief...

4. krispy

krispy krispy

I never said I originally ordered for the RP coins as most here are self confessed addicted to the coin in this set. I also didn't order to flip and invest in bullion, and I canceled for the principal of the matter of how I have repeatedly explained (have you actually been reading the posts) for how the Mint has handled this and other recent releases of this series of coins, the diminishing quality and having confessed they knew they were working on offering the coin in other products but allowed collectors to order the 75th anniversary set thinking it was a unique product offering and the only way to obtain the two coins. There's nothing in my motivation to have originally ordered to make money off this set, as a collector, nor are my decisions to cancel foolish.

5. krispy

krispy krispy

That may well be so. I do think the 2006 RP will remain the stronger coin amongst ASE RPs because of the difference, which could be the case regardless of some future RP coming in with lower mintage.

6. krispy

krispy krispy

+1

7. Clint

Clint Member

I'll speak to diminished QC at the mint as well, as I wanted a perfect set and ordered two, in hopes that between them I'd end up with a 70 set. Thanks MCM for making that easy! I also wanted a 2nd set, but didn't care if that one was a 70. In neither case did I want/plan to flip.

8. krispy

krispy krispy

An article and an editorial piece from Coin World (digital edition) for 8/13/2012 ©Amos Publishing:

9. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

I placed my order on the 18th of June and have been checking everyday and today THE CANCEL BOX IS GONE!!! Yay!! :yes:

10. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

Should the Mint be punished through cancellations and loss of business?

These are gov't workers. They make mistakes (maybe more or less than the rest of us). Reissuing the 2012-S after sales of the set were complete was a big mistake. But it is only a mistake. Nobody is stuck holding the bag. It didn't hurt anyone. Cancellations and returns are gladly accepted.

Are the RP's becoming gimmicky?

No more so than all the privy mark Maple Leafs and 2/3 of the stuff put out by the Perth Mint. It's what the public is interested in buying. Just be grateful they haven't jumped the shark just yet by putting out a hologram ASE or an ASE shaped like an eagle.

Is there a difference between a flipper and an investor?

Not at all. If you flip coins you are essentially getting the coins and/or bullion you keep at zero cost. That leads to good returns.

11. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

First and foremost, I was a collector and member of this forum long before I was a moderator. Last time I checked I was still both and therefore get to participate like everyone else. As long as I follow the same rules as everyone else I am permitted to post my thoughts on this forum.

Second, implying I cannot think for myself is as insulting as anything else I've seen in this thread. I think you will understand my reference.

Third, greater than 250K sets sold to collectors that were willing to pay a marked up price. It's my opinion the mint gave the collectors exactly what they wanted and as a majority asked for. They set the price at a point that made the mint money but still affordable enough to sell greater than 250K sets. I'd say that was pretty successful. Are you going to make everyone happy with every decision, obviously not. Are the vast majority of people that ordered the sets anxious to get them, obviously, otherwise you would have heard about massive cancellations that might have caused the mint to rethink their decision.

For most of us that bought the set we are happy enough with the mint's program. I for one do not really care that it does not fit in with others idea that the mint is over producing them. If businesses find something that sells, they would be foolish not to capitalize on it. I would be surprised if Mr. Carr doesn't come out with his own RP. As this thread is about what are you going to do, I can safely say I am going to enjoy my coins when they arrive and hope mint comes out with another RP at the 30 year anniversary. Sorry that does not fit into your investing plans. But as you seem to be in the minority (correct me if I am wrong), maybe by your stated definition, you are the winner. As far as the mint following that business philosophy, I do not think that's a sound business plan. JMO as a member of this forum.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I heartily agree that all Mods, and Peter for that matter, should always be free to post their own opinions here. Just because someone is a Mod does not mean they are speaking for Peter, speaking for CT, or are even correct. :)

I have disagreed with Mods many times over content of their posts. Everyone here should feel they have the same right. Their "Mod hat" only comes out when they are issuing warnings, or editing threads for violating rules. That is the only time I wouldn't advise arguing with them. Maybe there should be a little "angry face" placed before every Mod warning so everyone can know when they are speaking as a Mod versus personal opinion. ;)

13. buyingsilvers

buyingsilvers New Member

Did everyone that ordered on day 1 have their items shipped already? Mine are still showing the 'in stock and reserved' bs

14. x115

x115 Collector

so here is what all the fuss is about. snapped some quick pics. nothing special. and yep they look like any other ASE. but the case has a nice shape to it.

AP7H0003.jpg
    AP7H0006.jpg
    AP7H0008.jpg
    AP7H0016.jpg

15. Clint

Clint Member

Thanks for the pics. Sure looks pretty, and a heck of a lot easier to open and close than the 2011 set. That thing is a pain.

16. Tyco

Tyco Member

For anyone interested, I spoke with customer service at the mint today and was told not to expect my item to ship out for another 4-6 weeks even though my account now shows an expected ship date of July 27th. I placed my order on July 4th and the order was originally supposed to ship out at the end of October. It seems all the orders may not be shipped out so soon after all. . .

17. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I don't know how the mint is determining how to ship these, but it sure isn't FIFO!

18. holz

holz holz

They ship them all the same day. less chance of returns?

19. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

My order was received at 12:02, just after the opening. Still not shipped.

20. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of FIFO. Is it better than FEDEX?

21. buyingsilvers

buyingsilvers New Member

FIFO is first in first out. It's what the mint claims its policy is, even though there have already been people's orders that shipped a week or so after the first day.

well looks like I'm not the only one. misery loves company i guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.