Anyone canceling their order of 75th anniversary sets?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by luke2012, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x115

x115 Collector

I'm not really a modern collector. but I bought a few sets for the reverse.

I'm in the media business and I know things can get over exposed.

and to me it is a little like christmas time. except these are more like stocking stuffers to me LOL.

but I don't mind looking at other peoples photos of the same set. thats just me.

I'm going to stick to collecting old coins and currency.

but just like last year, it seems these sets really irritate people. I'm in it for the fun. and I'm not to worried about what others think.

P.S. Krispy. you should take it easy on your long posts. you don't want to get Carpal tunnel. just kidding :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

I guess we could have stopped after 2006 then. New rule for the mint, we have to change the design every year because the fields are plowed after the first release. And somehow that makes sense???

4. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

2252761_f248.jpg

I was not directing that at anyone here. In fact, I have a set on order myself because I am a self-confessed reverse proof addict. Non-recovering at that.

I was speaking to the redundancy of the Mint's product line. As krispy said, it was just a way to have a little fun at the Mint's expense regarding their offering pipeline.

5. USS656

I am glad to hear you are not canceling, I am an addict too and they can keep popping out a reverse proof every 3 to 5 years if they want. IMO

6. krispy

krispy krispy

Yes, the Mint should have stopped at 2006 with the RP. They should have left the 2006 RP as the only RP of the series. :thumb:

That would have always made it unique amongst the silver eagle coins. Sounds like a great idea compared to exploiting the concept of the RP at every little 'anniversary' they feel they can squeeze some more green out of the collectors. It's a particularly weak option to have continued Minting RPs, especially this often now that we have two back to back years worth of them, since, as I have stated a few times already, that the 2006 RPs remain a superior quality coin to these later more recent RP coins.

These 2011-12 RP coins now employ the cheaper looking laser etch finish. This finish appears coarser, less smooth than those of the 2006 RP. The laser etch looks applied rather than engraved and it obliterates the finer line detail of the design which cheapens the idea of the RP overall. Only suppressed sales figures creating a mintage of less RP coins than those 2006 RPs will create a skewed value as RP key of the series, a series within a series with it's own key coin.

As I also said much earlier, it's been 25 years of the eagle design, they are running thin on new ideas for collectibles but ever more greedy for things to market and sell to you, so the next thing you may see is a design change in near future releases. However, I suppose before the design is changed they may start embedding semi-precious gem stones into the coins and painting other flashy devices onto the coins before they change the dies entirely.

From the resistance we get to making any comments of dissent about the Mint or in deciding not to buy these coins with criticism leveled at the Mint, that is electing to cancel orders, it appears collectors feel threatened by the defections. Why? Because demand for the coins is being eroded in the hobby due to the Mint's tactics.

The logic of collectors buying from the Mint seems to be, if they mint it, we will buy. So if the Mint starts selling colorized coins or coins shaped like eagles, you have cornered yourselves in by these comments, and you must buy it, because it's the Mint and whatever they do is golden, err, silver. :rolleyes:

7. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

It is not even Christmas but I'm starting to smell a few grinches. I, for one, am looking forward to my three early Christmas gifts. I love rp's and they love me:)

8. USS656

If you will recall, the mint asked collectors what they wanted and collectors told the mint they want more RP in this series. I guess that puts you in the minority.

9. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

So how many people here cancelled their order? One?

10. krispy

krispy krispy

Ask and you shall receive, the Mint just loves it when they can sell bullion at this kind of mark-up-- this is the bullion investing forum we're reminded, and the Mint is making a killing at their bullion investments flipped on the collectors for $75/oz when spot is $27-$28/oz.

By the way, I think it's necessary for folks to understand that I am not kicking bullion eagles to the curb because they are from the Mint. Those are the bullion to invest in, not the numismatic versions. Rather this is a stance I am discussing about my observations and reasons I've cancelled this order for issues with the Mint's marketing and expansive product line of numismatic collectibles. It's about the effects on the greater hobby when they allow customers to buy into an idea of a special set, and continue to milk it by selling the same related item in other products as we just saw happen with this product. There is a greater concern collectors should be aware of in how their way of thinking about unique coins, purposes for collecting and such matters are being altered and how marketing gimmicks, creating NFIC novelty collectibles is getting further and further from coin collecting to instant gratification from online click-to-buy consumption. These same marketing tactics have crushed other hobbies, overselling product in multiple forms, and it will be no different with the Mint and coins as they draw out every last weary dollar from collectors over time. The flood of material into the hobby will be crushing for those left holding expensive shiny bullion where demand doesn't exist one day.

Many feel a duty to collect what they started and to never miss an issue when it's available immediately, but there is also a duty to protect the hobby from the infiltration of gimmicks and novelty pieces. There's a time to recognize that the Mint knows you can't resist and will spend anything you have to obtain it from them and that some others will pay even more in aftermarket for the same thing. Voting with your pocketbook is the strongest message one can send if/when one sees or feels this sort of manipulation or violated principal happening. There seems to be no respect for those who have stated and defended their decision for their own selves to do this, because it's weird, foolish and dissenting, even threatening to the collectors around this discussion. Not everyone sees it at the same time nor in the same way but it isn't a wrong decision that needs to be stamped out by everyone who can't bear the idea.

11. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

We have the good, the bad, and the foolish. Only one will cancel their order. Oops, is sarcasm still banished from this forum?

12. krispy

krispy krispy

Gee whiz! There it is. Minority views are wrong. Heard it here on CT first, from a Moderator of all commentators! There is only one way. How intellectual you paint yourself to be... how open minded!

Sure I recall the Mint asking some people though marketing surveys what they wanted, and I responded that they shouldn't produce more RPs. I personally don't care for them, especially not after they started using the cheap looking laser etch finish. I responded that they should offer coins mint-to-demand. I responded that there should be a window of buying opportunity, and no household limits. That's how I responded. I also discussed these ideas on this forum way before that survey went around. Look what you got with this product offering...

In investing one of the smartest things one can do is avoid what the herd is doing, taking notice of what they are neglecting and go that way, buying now what's unpopular that others will later turn to and pay much more for when they finally take notice. That takes a discipline to break from the pack and often requires you to be a minority with unpopular ideas or radical approaches.

Demand has been filled with these coins and the uniqueness of the coins undermined by having one of the coins appear in another set.

I know collectors of these forums suffer deeply from group think and don't even recognize their mob-mentality in crushing weird and unusual approaches in these threads. If you have a problem with minority views you should step back and take a look at what you look like as a group and how you just phased what you posted.

13. krispy

krispy krispy

Deep thinking there dude....

We won't know for months until the final sales order tally is published by the Mint how cancellations or returns effects the final mintage. All we have right now is that questionable sales odometer that only worked in one direction.

14. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Ok, I'm feeling giddy. At least the mint is trying to make money for the US Government, which is really us. We're talking about a group of folks that gave us a FICA tax holiday for the past two years and will likely extend it another. Doesn't it seem a little strange that we're giving everyone a social security tax break when the system is going broke? But I do love them. It gives a person like me in a higher tax bracket more money to spend on coins like the 2012 ASE set. I now have more money to buy sets that will certainly appreciate in value for far less than my FICA tax holiday. Praise the lord but I pitty my children. Sorry for the politics.

15. Clint

Clint Member

I'll stand up as foolish, I guess. I budgeted for, and ordered two, then when MCM offered 70 sets, I cancelled with the mint and re-ordered one (from the mint). I wouldn't have bothered cancelling if I were rich and famous, and MCM made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

16. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

And all of this time I've been thinking your last name is Eastwood.

17. Clint

Clint Member

Ha! You may have assumed as much, when I struggled between MS or SP versions of the Mt Hood puck ;) 'Tis beautiful by the way, the SP version.

And you may wonder how I'm going to bring this back on topic...is there any truth to the statement that the field on the 2006 RP is nicer than the 2011, perhaps due to "new and not improved" laser/vapor techniques? If that is truly noticeable to the naked eye, and if we can expect similarity between 2011 and 2012, I may also cancel that last order with the mint and look forward to buying a 2006 at some point.

18. krispy

krispy krispy

Clint: It's most definitely noticeable to the naked eye. I've returned other coins because of it and have disliked other proof ASEs I've received because of the way it cheapens the design from that of prior years. Any coins since about 2009/10, when they started rolling this finish out, including the numismatic halves, silver parks quarters, gold buffalos, etc, all suffer for this laser etch's coarseness. The way it's applied, blankets over all the engraved line work of the coins. Portraits look flat and in some areas of detals like the devices around the rims, the etch doesn't even align to the letters. It's a pretty miserable 'advancement' that I suspect will be something more people catch on to down the line, such that coins before the laser etch will be preferred and may well command higher prices because of their quality or superior eye appeal.

However, the ATB 5 oz "P" numismatic versions haven't the same finish when you mention vapor techniques. This technique doesn't come off as crude and for those coins may be rather preferable (better eye appeal) as it doesn't seem to obliterate design features or misalign since it is an overall finish. Still, those coins have had questions about whether some inconsistencies in their finish were varieties when some of the 2010s came out. The Mint seems to have it under control now and the 2011s and 2012s we've seen so far haven't had that issue.

19. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

I have to agree now that cancelling was foolish. You could have flipped and put the profits to Bullion Investing.

And to say that you don't like the new reverse proofs (after you already ordered it, and canceled it) is foolish too.

20. Clint

Clint Member

Thanks. I think the SP ATB pucks have a beautiful finish, as do the proof silver STATE quarters and commems during that time frame. However, when I got my silver Star Spangled, I was pretty disappointed by the finish on the devices, as well as on the ATB Washington obverse. Thanks for explaining why that is. HOWEVER I am thinking further that on the field of an RP perhaps the lesser finish won't be as pronounced as it is on the devices.

21. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed it, but I would suspect you're right. I appreciate my early Washington quarters and lincoln cents a lot more after seeing the gawdawful things coming out of the mint. Its also making me like older commemoratives more, almost to the point of starting to buy a few more again.

After a few years of paying attention to our pocket change lately, it sure makes our older coinage look WAY better in comparison. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.